Mecole Hardman Whistleblower on KC Tampering!

* On the Jets' 2023 culture/Hackett: "You just got a new (offensive) coaching staff that came in and there’s no standard there. Everybody does what they want to do. Granted, the defense has more of a stabilized standard with the coaching staff on that side, so the defense has a standard. But the offense is just like, 'We’ll just figure it out. It’s Aaron’s show. Let Aaron do what Aaron does.' Then when Aaron goes down, it’s like we don’t know what to do."

Hilarious

Most (all?) tampering charges in the NFL seem to surround free agents. This would involve a player who ultimately got traded from one team to another. It was publicly reported that the Jets were exploring trade options for Hardman on Oct 10th. The Chiefs traded for him on Oct 18th. 

Hardman stated he was "already checked out" prior to KC's game vs the Jets on Oct 1st, where he says to Mahomes and Veach to "come get me." It's unknown if the Jets had already engaged in conversations with the Chiefs at that point regarding Hardman. If they had, then I'd assume this absolves the Chiefs of any wrongdoing. It's also possible Hardman didn't actually talk to Mahomes/Veach on Oct 1st when he said and that it was actually after trade discussions were underway between the two teams prior to the Oct 18 trade.

In the end, not sure there was an actual victim here. The Jets and Chiefs ultimately engaged in trade talks and completed a trade and the Jets received compensation for a player they wanted to get rid of. 

These seem to be the relevant parts of the potential tampering policy (below). 

Trade Discussions. Unless a new club has received written permission directly from a player’s employer club, entering into discussions with a player or his agent concerning the new club’s interest in acquiring the player via trade or otherwise would constitute a violation of the Anti-Tampering Policy. Under no circumstances should a new club rely upon any written or oral representation by a player or his agent that he has received permission to enter into discussions for a trade or negotiations for a contract. Nor should a new club rely upon a letter from the employer club to the agent or player granting such permission since employer clubs typically reserve the right to withdraw permission at any time, and may have already done so. Permission must be 4 NFL Anti-Tampering Policy (2018-2019) received by the new club directly from the employer club and should be in writing to protect the interests of both clubs.

Assumption of Risk. To avoid potentially embarrassing situations and possible disciplinary actions, clubs are reminded that any contact by members of one organization with players of another organization could potentially interfere with an employer-employee relationship of the second club, even if the circumstances surrounding the contact may appear to be innocent. The Competition Committee has reviewed the Anti-Tampering Policy on numerous occasions and has always emphasized that great care and judgment must be exercised when any contact is made between the members of an organization and players from other teams, even in situations in which close personal relationships may exist. Although the Policy does not prohibit conversations or other forms of communication that are strictly social in nature, such communication can quickly and easily cross the line into prohibited topics of the type discussed in Section 3(b)(6) below. For this reason, clubs whose personnel engage in such social contact do so at their own risk and expose themselves and their clubs to discipline.

Contact by Player. If a club is contacted by a player (or his representative) who is under contract to or whose negotiating rights are held by another club, and such player has not been given permission to negotiate with other clubs, or such player is not in a permissible negotiating period under the terms of an operative collective bargaining agreement, then the contacted club is prohibited from (i) negotiating with the player or his agent; (ii) discussing even in general terms the player’s possible employment with the contacted club; or (iii) discussing the player’s contract or his potential or ongoing contract negotiations with his current club. 5 NFL Anti-Tampering Policy (2018-2019) In addition, the contacted club representative must inform the player or his representative that under NFL rules the club is not permitted to discuss such matters, and, if such matters are raised by or with the player or his representative, the club representative must immediately report such contact to the owner or operating head of the club that holds the player’s rights. Nothing in this section shall preclude a club from negotiating with the certified agent of a prospective Unrestricted Free Agent during the two-day negotiating period, subject to that provision’s prohibition against direct contact by the club with the player himself.

Example of Tampering. Without limitation to other examples of tampering with another club’s player, the following scenario would constitute a violation of the Anti-Tampering Policy:

(i) A club’s representative, or a third-party intermediary of that club (Club A), is involved in a private meeting or conversation with a player (or his representative) who is under contract to, or whose negotiating rights are held by, another club (Club B); and

(ii) The League obtains substantiation that before, during or after the above contact with the player, Club A has stated, publicly or privately, its interest in obtaining his services (see “Public/Private Statements” above); and

(iii) Contract problems or other disputes subsequently arise between the player and Club B (for example, the player’s failure to report on time to Club B).

Just now, Billl said:

What would the Jets argument be?  That they were somehow forced to trade him to Kansas City?

Don't think that matters. If KC contacted Hardman or if the two sides engaged in trade chatter without the Jets' knowledge then I feel like this should constitute something? You could argue that Hardman's contact with KC motivated him to be difficult with the Jets. Again, did the Jets know? 

We're assuming the worst in this exercise. It could have been completely innocent on both sides. 

14 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

yea and the clown was rewarded with the SB game winning catch.  Sums up our society right now rather nicely

Im going to teach my kids that they can be a whiny cry baby quarterback or a douchebag tight end and you’ll end up being a winner in life. 

13 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Says a ton about Hardman and the Jets, but I would love for the Chiefs to lose a draft pick because of this stupidity.

Does KC develop their draft picks, or just pick up players as they're released from custody?

12 hours ago, Bogie_Klinkhammer said:

I love off season drama :thumbsup:

Speaking of that, where's Sherlock Holmes been?

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

*Hardman candidly admitted that, by that point, "I was so checked out, like, it was over with. I had already talked to (KC GM Brett) Veach and Pat (Mahomes), like, ‘Come get me.’" Two weeks later, he was traded back to KC.”

If this took place without the permission of the Jets:  Hardman spoke directly to KC GM. Should be a tampering violation. 

WHERE IS THE FLAG FOR HOLDING REF?!?!

I can't imagine it's tampering for a GM or coach to be talked to about this. How can they control what people say to them?

The GM or coach talking back, now that they can control. But Hardman I don't think said anything about that.

13 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

what is arguably the riskiest thing in the sport for someone you don't trust?

He could have gone out there and made a fair catch, no?  Instead he acted like a petulant child. 

15 minutes ago, Whkfc said:

Damn he should switch to dB with the way he backpedals.

I hear you, but he wasn't really backpedalling.

He said he did not "have talks" with them.

And he said he "had already talked to" them. 

Those aren't necessarily the same thing. He might have said, "Come get me," to Veach and Reid on the field after a game and they smiled but didn't say anything.

Those two statements aren't necessarily contractictory.