Update: Free Agent RB's Hitting the Market

ngbills

My plan is to sign Derrick Henry for our short yard and goal line back. Do this so we don't have to always use Allen in those situations.  Convince him to take a short term superbowl chase deal. Then profit..

Edited by dje85
  • Eyeroll 1

4 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

do you ever agree with anyone on anything? Or at least allow yourself to be open to a possibility. Sheesh!!! 

Hey, I agreed with you on Morse and one of your last WR core posts 😜 I only disagree with the extreme and the unlikely. And that's 99.9% of your posts.

If you look earlier in this thread, you'll see I was having to defend even using so much as a 6th on a RB. I'm not saying don't Draft one at all.

But it is an INCREDIBLY devalued position. One where every year, late round picks, Undrafted guys, and league minimum players dominate the league.

Those first 3 picks are gold. We're going to have to rely on them to fill holes we are unable to do in FA. Likely we'll be looking for another Starter or someone like a DT3, which gets a huge amount of reps in rotation.

RB is a luxury pick in general. Doubly so when you have a Pro Bowl starter already. Cannot and will not be using a pick that high on a secondary RB. Taking a RB that high would justifiably be having this board saying "what the hell are we doing?".

And if we were to go a little higher with a RB than I expected, it wouldn't be for another speed, finesse guy. It would be for someone like Braelon Allen at 245 lbs.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

6 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

He's only 24. But...his ypc this year was 3.2 on 70 carries.  

Yeah he’s the epitome of a jag imo.  Vet minimum as a 4th RB type 

2 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

do you ever agree with anyone on anything? Or at least allow yourself to be open to a possibility. Sheesh!!! 

He’s the reality po po.  Dashing the hopes and dreams of all those that wish for things that are unlikely or unrealistic.  8 paragraphs at a time 

• Haha (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah he’s the epitome of a jag imo.  Vet minimum as a 4th RB type 

He’s the reality po po.  Dashing the hopes and dreams of all those that wish for things that are unlikely or unrealistic.  8 paragraphs at a time 

Marvel Studios GIF by Disney+

On 2/26/2024 at 3:32 PM, ngbills said:

No tags expected on some of the big names - Jacobs, Barkley, Henry, Pollard, Ekeler and more. This RB free agent pool is gonna be stacked. Guessing we can upgrade from Harris/Murray/Johnson and it wont cost much at all. Here is who we are looking at:

Barkley

Jacobs

Ekeler

Henry

Pollard

Swift

Dillon

Singletary

Moss

Dobbins

Edwards

Elliott

Edwards-Helaire

Gibson

McKinnon

Murray

Harris

Akers

Kelley

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Cooks/Ty Johnson are a solid duo, possibly add an undrafted rookie big bodied FA and we're golden. No need to waste money and assets on something we already have. If anything Gus Edwards would be the guy I'd add, I doubt he'd command much and he's the big bruiser we need in goaline situations. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

Cooks/Ty Johnson are a solid duo, possibly add an undrafted rookie big bodied FA and we're golden. No need to waste money and assets on something we already have. If anything Gus Edwards would be the guy I'd add, I doubt he'd command much and he's the big bruiser we need in goaline situations. 

Pretty much exactly this.

Use the most minimum of assets for the RB position. In my eyes that's a vet minimum RB in FA. If you can get a better RB than Ty Johnson for the same amount of money, that's fine by me. But if it isn't Ty Johnson himself, I'm not interested in paying a penny more than what it would cost to retain him.

And in the Draft, take a guy no earlier than Round 5, preferably Round 6 or Round 7, maybe even the top Undrafted option. Late Round or Undrafted contributors come out of every Draft and you could find an unexpected stud.

The biggest concession and most extreme i'd get is if Braelon Allen was still on the board in Round 4. I'd have to give that some HEAVY consideration. But I'd expect he'd be gone by then, although opinions of where exactly he'll go are all over the map.

https://www.si.com/nfl/ravens/news/baltimore-ravens-rb-braelon-allen-wisconsin-combine-draft-rumors-next-derrick-henry-free-agency

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

With… What… Money

There's always money in the banana stands. We could easily free up over 20 million of cap space over the cap. And like I said it would be a team friendly chase a ring deal so we wouldn't be talking big money.

• Eyeroll 2

1 hour ago, dje85 said:

There's always money in the banana stands. We could easily free up over 20 million of cap space over the cap. And like I said it would be a team friendly chase a ring deal so we wouldn't be talking big money.

I think Derrick's idea of a "chase a ring deal" will involve at least 10M/ yr.  Just draft a cheap day 3 bruiser back as your RB3 behind Cook & Johnson. 

Edited by LABILLBACKER

6 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think Derrick's idea of a "chase a ring deal" will involve at least 10M/ yr.  Just draft a cheap day 3 bruiser back as your RB3 behind Cook & Johnson. 

Free agency is loaded down with great vet backs. I think he will have to settle for less. But I agree wouldn't pay him that much a year knowing he wouldn't be rb1 in our system.

56 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Considering Barkley, Pollard, and Jacobs are all UFA's now i don't see how thats in the cards for him.  Or literally any of the backs, theres too many available plus the entire draft. 

14 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Considering Barkley, Pollard, and Jacobs are all UFA's now i don't see how thats in the cards for him.  Or literally any of the backs, theres too many available plus the entire draft. 

There is a good chance these guys are looking at deals around $5M per. Sadly that is what we are paying Hines. 

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

There is a good chance these guys are looking at deals around $5M per. Sadly that is what we are paying Hines. 

i mean hines knows writing is on the wall... he might not get any guarantees on the open market while buffalo might accomodate for a very low base salary.  Considering he's a depth RB and a returner it hits 2 spots.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue