McDermott says a Lombardi is "not a matter of if, just a matter of when"

Ray Stonada

Just now, Shaw66 said:

You see, your mindset is wrong.   He HAS shown ability to get there, he just hasn't gotten there. 

How do I know he's shown the ability?  Because his teams have won a lot of games...

Several logical fallacies here. Non sequitur, false equivocation, post hoc ergo propter hoc, etc. 

There is a critical distinction between winning regular winning season games and achieving a specific outcome (a Super Bowl). A coach winning many games shows potential but doesn't directly prove the ability to reach the Super Bowl, which is a specific achievement requiring overcoming all playoff opponents, which in this case, the coach has shown no ability to do. Thus, your argument diverts attention from the ultimate goal (Super Bowl appearance) to a related but different measure of success (winning regular season games). This essentially shifts the conversation logic. After all, if the logic wasn't moved, it would be easy to see that he has a losing record in the playoffs, rather a winning record, which would make the opposite point of your argument. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Blaming others and taking no responsibility is the high road evidently. 

This the ultimate, fundamental point.  There are two different worlds:  the world the team (coaches, players, owners) operate in and the world the rest of us operate in.  McDermott's duty to take responsibility for what he did or didn't do lies COMPLETELY in the world he and his team live in - his team has a right to see him take responsibility for his mistakes.  He has absolutely NO duty to the rest of us in that regard.   

It's the same thing when the media ask players about next month's big matchup against the Chiefs, and the players say they're focused only on next week's game against the Panthers.   We all cry "BS!!!" but in fact it's the truth.  In the players world, if they're thinking about next month, they aren't thinking about next week, and in their world all that matters is next week.  

The problem does not lie in what McDermott says or doesn't say.  It lies in what we expect from him.  

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Success said:

Sounds good to me.

Much better than "it's hard to win in this league" or something like that.

I believe this coach can get us there.  I’m sure that coaches for SF (taking ball in OT), BLT, HOU, MIA, etc. etc. were criticized for mistakes in the big games since they were losers.  KC coach stepped into off-season with all the glory and no criticism.  It happens every year with the guy holding the Lombardi hardware.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This the ultimate, fundamental point.  There are two different worlds:  the world the team (coaches, players, owners) operate in and the world the rest of us operate in.  McDermott's duty to take responsibility for what he did or didn't do lies COMPLETELY in the world he and his team live in - his team has a right to see him take responsibility for his mistakes.  He has absolutely NO duty to the rest of us in that regard.   

It's the same thing when the media ask players about next month's big matchup against the Chiefs, and the players say they're focused only on next week's game against the Panthers.   We all cry "BS!!!" but in fact it's the truth.  In the players world, if they're thinking about next month, they aren't thinking about next week, and in their world all that matters is next week.  

The problem does not lie in what McDermott says or doesn't say.  It lies in what we expect from him.  

In a word….YIKES! The ‘problem’ is in the eye of the beholder Shaw. If fans want to get to and/or win a Super Bowl then there’s most definitely a problem from their perspective. Am I having more fun winning more than losing? Sure! The problem is I’ve grown weary of the same level of achievements. While I’m willing to gamble on the HC change before we reach the expiration date on our Franchise QB, you (and others) clearly aren’t. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The play design of the fake punt was terrible.  KC sniffed that out immediately.  The problem with McDermott will never be his heart. Obviously he wanted Damar to have a moment.  But the glaring problem is with his head.  I'm still not confident McD gets this team to a championship.  But it's out of my control.  Maybe Josh rises up beyond the coaching flaws?  Who knows?

Well, I don't agree he called it because he wanted Damar to have a moment.

I don't know that you're correct about his heart and his head, but at least what's going on his head is the right question.  That is, he can try as hard as he likes, but if he isn't capable of thinking well enough about all the things he needs to think about, he'll never win.  As someone said, "I'll become the CEO, I just haven't done it yet."  Well, maybe I just don't have what it takes to be CEO.  

It's a fair opinion to say, "I don't think he's smart enough to win it all."   I think that statement is fundamentally different from, "He hasn't won it all, which is evidence that he isn't smart enough to win it all."  When Pete Carroll got run out of New England I was convinced that he simply was unable to be a successful head coach.  As we know, his history did not control his future.  

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

In a word….YIKES! The ‘problem’ is in the eye of the beholder Shaw. If fans want to get to and/or win a Super Bowl then there’s most definitely a problem from their perspective. Am I having more fun winning more than losing? Sure! The problem is I’ve grown weary of the same level of achievements. While I’m willing to gamble on the HC change before we reach the expiration date on our Franchise QB, you (and others) clearly aren’t. 

Come on, Deek, try to stay on the subject.   The subject here is how McDermott deals with the media, not how he coaches the team.  I get that we're all unhappy with the outcomes so far, and I get that you and many people are unhappy with the job McDermott has done.  There's plenty of room to argue either side of those points.  But that isn't the subject here.  

The subject here is that some fans don't like the amount of disclosure that McDermott makes.  The amount of disclosure has NOTHING to do with whether the team wins or not.  The amount of disclosure simply has to do with how satisfied we, the fans, are with what we're hearing.  What we are hearing or not hearing is completely irrelevant to the team's success.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Amen to you and Einstein.  It's like there's this group of McDermott supporters who have absolutely convinced themselves all that matters is regular season accomplishments.  Marvin Lewis and Marty Schottenheimer had SB ability too...until they didn't.  You can't keep ignoring the playoff coaching mistakes and lack of adjustments at the risk of losing your McDermott allegiance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Well, I don't agree he called it because he wanted Damar to have a moment.

I don't know that you're correct about his heart and his head, but at least what's going on his head is the right question.  That is, he can try as hard as he likes, but if he isn't capable of thinking well enough about all the things he needs to think about, he'll never win.  As someone said, "I'll become the CEO, I just haven't done it yet."  Well, maybe I just don't have what it takes to be CEO.  

It's a fair opinion to say, "I don't think he's smart enough to win it all."   I think that statement is fundamentally different from, "He hasn't won it all, which is evidence that he isn't smart enough to win it all."  When Pete Carroll got run out of New England I was convinced that he simply was unable to be a successful head coach.  As we know, his history did not control his future.  

Come on, Deek, try to stay on the subject.   The subject here is how McDermott deals with the media, not how he coaches the team.  I get that we're all unhappy with the outcomes so far, and I get that you and many people are unhappy with the job McDermott has done.  There's plenty of room to argue either side of those points.  But that isn't the subject here.  

The subject here is that some fans don't like the amount of disclosure that McDermott makes.  The amount of disclosure has NOTHING to do with whether the team wins or not.  The amount of disclosure simply has to do with how satisfied we, the fans, are with what we're hearing.  What we are hearing or not hearing is completely irrelevant to the team's success.  

Shaw…I couldn’t give a rats butt what he says to the media. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Shaw, we don't always see eye to eye and this statement is no different.

I understand where you're coming from here, however, to say that he has no responsibility to the fans is irresponsible. It's the fans that pay for tickets and merchandise. It's the fans who sit in the cold seats supporting their team. The fans are the franchise.....no fans, no team.

I think it's human nature for the fans who bleed and die for the team to not only want answers, but to expect them. 

I don't have a lot of fans in my workplace, nor do i have alot of fans on this board, however, if i did, i would almost feel an obligation to give answers to the people who support me if i was consistently not getting over the hump.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve said it many times on here. I believe McDs heart is in the right place but he keeps failing in the critical moments year after year. It’s just possible that he’s plateaued at the playoff contender level we’ve all witnessed. Good, of course, but not great. You eventually run out of seasons and excuses for failing to get over the hump. And, I have no idea why the fake punt even enters the conversation. It had NOTHING to do with why they lost that game. So I’ll continue to cheer like crazy as I have for the last 60 seasons but I don’t sense that the current brain trust is ascending towards anything much more than we’ve seen over the past few years. Again, really good, and very fun, but not great. 

Well, it is the thought that counts

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Had the Bills given up points after that fake punt and the Chiefs had gone up 2 scores, putting the ball in Hamlin's hands in that situation would have been right up there with one of the absolute dumbest calls in NFL history. 

Don't get me wrong. Still a dumb call but it didn't really play into the outcome. Putting the ball in a guys hands that spent most of the year inactive and isn't even a returner who is used to having the ball in his hands and making moves in space is NOT doing all he can to help the team win. 

How McClapper could even bring up that impossible idiocy- to even think about defending himself,shows how unfit he really is!

If you’re gonna try bizarro play, it : a) needs to be another 20 yards further down the field and b) never, ever in anyone’s hands not named Josh!

THAT was Pop Warner coaching.

Edited by Billsatlastin2018
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

pretty darn good

This sums things up in three words. If your happy with pretty darn good, you are happy.  If pretty darn good is not what you are looking for from coaching staff then you are not happy. 

The McDermott quote reminded me of this guy:

abcaaa57-97f4-460c-a4ca-3f71590de724.jpg

Edited by Chaos
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

Until I hear him say out loud "13 seconds was my fault, I got tight and made a mistake" I will never believe anything that comes out of his mouth. 

Because every coach in the league would admit that?

3 hours ago, zow2 said:

He's just saying what we want to hear. 

Kinda like when my friends tell me  how good looking and incredible I am when women turn my down for dates

3 hours ago, blitzboy54 said:

Until I hear him say out loud "13 seconds was my fault, I got tight and made a mistake"

I would have so much respect for him if he did this.

I love when coaches are brutally honest. I truly believe it also helps the players. I was so shocked when I heard McKenzie say that the coaches didnt even give the players any answers for what went wrong in 13 seconds.

8 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I would have so much respect for him if he did this.

I love when coaches are brutally honest. I truly believe it also helps the players. I was so shocked when I heard McKenzie say that the coaches didnt even give the players any answers for what went wrong in 13 seconds.

After Hill took it to the house on the last drive they played off coverage.  Screen to Hill and skinny post to Kelce took perfect advantage of the coverage.  What answer do players expect?  We are trying to bring in more athletic Dbs that can press to avoid those situations in the future? 

5 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

https://theathletic.com/5299472/2024/02/26/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-nfl-combine/

Also, about people who say he can't win a Super Bowl: “You can’t listen,” said McDermott, who’ll turn 50 next month. “I believe we’re doing things the right way. You only fail if you quit, and I’ve never done that. I’ve never been about that. Whatever it is, you always figure it out. You always find a way to get there. The only thing left to do for us at this point is win an AFC championship and win a Super Bowl, which is pretty darn good. There’s not too many organizations that can say that over the last seven years. We’ve done everything else you can do, and that is what gets us out of bed in the morning.”

About the tough losses the Bills have had: “Anybody that says they’re not affected by a loss in this line of work isn’t being honest,” McDermott said. “There’s a degree of, ‘Hey, did I do the right thing? Did I do enough to help my team?’ But then you need to be able to come back to ‘No, I know I gave it my all. I put in everything I could have put into it.’

“We’ve played those games once, but I’ve played them a million times in my mind. Every last one of them from the first game against the Jets in 2017 to that game right there a million times. That’s where your confidence gets affected the most because then you start to lose who you are and trusting your gut and your experience and your preparation.”

About the fake punt to Hamlin against KC: “Had I not faked that punt, with what I knew going into that situation, it would have been a failure had I not tried,” McDermott said. “I would have gone home that night saying, ‘What would have happened had I faked that punt?’ It didn’t work out that specific situation in that in that particular moment, but I need to do everything I can to help our team win.”

This all sounds eerily similar to Allen’s ‘never been more focused on football’ from last offseason. Maybe after the Bills get knocked out of the divisional round next season Beane can release a ‘our future has never been brighter’ statement to complete the trio.