Why have the Bills not been more successful? (Poll to end all Polls!)

FireChans

Why have the Bills not been more successful?  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Question above

• The Chiefs standing their way (Mahomes/Reid)
    • The Bills getting in their own way (coaching, FO management)
    • Bad luck (injuries, bad draft luck)

Uh I looked at the options and I didn’t see the correct answer. I believe they haven’t won because **checks notes for accuracy** Josh hasn’t been able to “mentally over power Mahomes” This is clearly the only correct option  

On 2/14/2024 at 11:31 AM, FireChans said:

To me, does 13 seconds even happen if we aren’t playing Mahomes? I don’t know, but my suspicion is no.

Don’t forget to include Butker as well. May not have happened with a lesser kicker. 

On 2/14/2024 at 12:29 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

So McDermott didn't get in the way when the Bills went on a 5-0 tear to grab the #2 seed, but he DID in the way against the Chiefs?

The bigger the game, the tighter the pucker factor

On 2/14/2024 at 2:20 PM, Trust The Process said:

This is how I assess blame as to why the Bills haven't been more successful ever since McBeane took over.

McD: 55%

Beane: 30%

Players: 15%

McD's RECORD IN 1 SCORE GAMES

2017: 6-3

2018: 3-3

2019: 4-6

2020: 6-1

2021: 0-6

2022: 7-3

2023: 6-7

McD's record in 1 score games including the playoffs is 32-29 equals a winning percentage of 52.4%. This stat proves when its crunch time McD is average, which is unacceptable, and has been detrimental in the playoffs.

McD's RECORD ON CHALLENGES

2017: 1-3

2018: 0-6

2019: 2-3

2020: 2-3

2021: 1-2

2022: 1-3

2023: 3-3

McD has a combined record of just 10-23 on challenges since becoming Head Coach of the Bills. That's a success rate of only 30.3% which is amongst the worst in the NFL when it comes to tossing the flag. Incredibly, McD has never had a season in which he has won more challenges than he has lost. 

McD's PLAYOFF VICTORIES

2020: Phillip Rivers and Lamar Jackson (Wildcard Round and Divisional Round)

2021: Mac Jones (Wildcard Round)

2022: Skylar Thompson (Wildcard Round)

2023: Mason Rudolph (Wildcard Round)

Notice a pattern here? Aside from a 39 year old Rivers, McD's playoff victories came verses QB's who suck.

McD's PLAYOFF LOSSES

2017: Blake Bortles (Wildcard Round)

2019: Deshaun Watson (Wildcard Round)

2020: Pat Mahomes (AFC Championship Game)

2021: Pat Mahomes (Divisional Round)

2022: Joe Burrow (Divisional Round)

2023: Pat Mahomes (Divisional Round)

The pattern here is, aside from losing to Blake Bortles, McD hasn't beaten any great QB's in the Playoffs. Watson was a great QB at the time McD faced him.

POINTS ALLOWED IN PLAYOFF LOSSES

2017: 1O vs Jacksonville

2019: 22 vs Houston

2020: 38 vs Kansas City

2021: 42 vs Kansas City

2022: 27 vs Cincinnati

2023: 27 vs Kansas City

The pattern here is McD's defense is allowing a whopping average of 27.6 PPG in 6 playoff losses. McD is a defensive coach yet his defenses has gotten shredded in 4 of 6 playoff losses, 4 years in a row to be exact. Wrap your brain around that. 

NOTABLE PLAYOFF STATLINE IN 3 GAMES VS KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

McD's defense only forced the Kansas City Chiefs to Punt a grand total of 4 times in 3 playoff games, and allowed an average of 35.7 PPG. Good grief. How in the world is McD still the head coach of this team? It boggles the mind.

Beane shares the 2nd most blame, mostly for doing a bad job with Free Agency. Didn't spend cap dollars wisely, especially on the defensive line. Bad contracts. As far as the draft goes, Beane has done a great job from rounds 4-7 but at an average job in rounds 1-3 which is where you find your blue chip players/difference makers, and where precious cap dollars are spent.

The Players shares the least most blame, mostly for not making enough plays to win in crunch time in one score games during the regular season, and more so in the playoffs.

The bottom line is stats don't lie, it tells a story.

This should be its own thread. EXCELLENT 🔥We Are Not Worthy Ken Jeong GIF by FOX TV

• Disagree 1

On 2/14/2024 at 2:45 PM, Trust The Process said:

Not sure, however, when you have a great QB like Allen, McD must have a better a winning percentage than 52% in one score games. 

Further more, Josh is the one getting him to that percentage with some crazy games ( Phily this year) that should have been going away losses.

No Super Josh/ McD has a losing percentage 

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I guess facing playoff elimination six straight weeks is low pressure to you.

He was:

A playing with house money as not much was expected 

B: Those last couple weeks he wasn’t Facing Playoff Elimination. We all knew we were getting in somewhere 

I posted this in another thread and looking at the poll I just don't get why Bills fans are so unhappy with this coaching staff. 

"If the Buffalo Bills happened to be in the NFC they probably would have already been in the SB. The best team in the NFL has kept them out.

Wanna see a chart that shows the best teams in the NFL in the last five years?  The top five are the Chiefs 63-20, Bills 58-24, Ravens 56-27, Packers 56-27, 49ers 54-29. 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/best-teams-in-the-last-5-years-in-nfl

The Kansas City Chiefs with Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid, now Spags have just been the best team in the NFL. The Buffalo Bills lost to the Chiefs this season in the playoffs... at home... with an injury-riddled defense... by a missed FG. "

EDIT: I swear that half this fanbase won't be happy until this coaching staff is fired and the result might just set this franchise back to where it was before McD and Beane. 

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

On 2/14/2024 at 11:23 AM, Gregg said:

Went with Mahomes/Reid. Although 13 seconds was definitely coaching and the Bills getting in their own way. But with 3 playoff losses to the Chiefs, I think the Mahomes/Reid answer in this poll is the correct one.

My thoughts also,

with the Josh argument with his old girlfriend the night before the Cinci/ playoff game as an exception to the rule.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

He was:

A playing with house money as not much was expected 

B: Those last couple weeks he wasn’t Facing Playoff Elimination. We all knew we were getting in somewhere 

This is freaking hilarious and entirely false. The Bills were one loss from playoff elimination for the last 5 weeks of the season. Then there's the actual playoff game they won. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

This is freaking hilarious and entirely false. The Bills were one loss from playoff elimination for the last 5 weeks of the season. Then there's the actual playoff game they won. 

Yeah, and Wiley Coyote really had a chance to get the Roadrunner😏

• Haha (+1) 4

coaching is what is killing us in the playoffs more than anything.

the injuries on d were awful, and we were close to beating kc, so i do see a trend of the coaching improving, but we have a couple humps to get over.

1.  the scheme defensively relies on too many reads and reactions and gets exploited and doesn't adjust quickly enough.  the playoff stats bare this out.

2. perhaps related to the above, the scheme is so complicated or whatever that there is just no fit for elam and williams, two capable but young guys who rode the bench while crippled douglas and bait and tackle aj were out there getting smoked.  and douglas in his poor state wasn't as bad as the other cb!  my evidence here is we stopped kc zero times and got walked on with aj, and then when williams went in he was a physical beast who made plays even after getting called for a ticky tacky PI and forced the only punt, and one of what 4 punts total in 3 playoff games?!??!!  vs kc.

somewhat related, platooning expensive fas and high picks on DL but having only 2 people on the roster who can play safety in our scheme leaves us in a bind where we have a lot of resources on the bench on any given down but when a safety goes down we are still without representation.

the glimmer, i suppose, of hope is that oliver, our best dl, got way way more snaps the past season than anyone did before, and eventually even in the kc debacle mccoach relented and inserted the mistake prone but force of nature capable williams in and got a stop.  just a matter of too little too late for that game, but i presume he's learning and will amend.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

to where it was before McD and Beane. 

Does this mean we also have to dump Allen, because he is actually the primary difference. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Does this mean we also have to dump Allen, because he is actually the primary difference. 

Seriously, take a long hard look at some teams that draft a QB in the first round and how many work out because the team around them stinks. 

We should all be familiar with the NY Jets, Sam Darnold 2018 (#3 overall) rings a bell, and Zach Wilson 2021 (#2 overall). The New England Patriots with Mac Jones (15th overall)

My point here is that everyone assumes that because a new coaching staff is hired that things will automatically get better. Look how new HC Rex Ryan destroyed the #1 defensive line by asking the linemen to drop into pass coverage and the linebackers to make the plays. 

So many fans here saying that Bill Belichick would be better than McD and if that's the case WTF did he do to Mac Jones? The kid went 10-7 as a rookie under OC Josh McDaniels and he leaves to be the HC of the Raiders. Ole Bill brings in an ex-DC to be the new OC and it probably completely ruined Mac Jones. 

How many Andy Reids are out there and who is to say someone can find him? A new thread was started asking fans here if both McD and Shanahan of the 49ers were fired would the Bills be better off hiring that supposed offensive guru?

Take a look at that chart I posted in that the only team right behind the Chiefs in wins over the last five years has been the Buffalo Bills. Bills #2, 49ers #5. 

Now take a long look at all the talent on that 49ers team. Their receiver corps is better. Their run game is better. Their defense is better. The only thing that Buffalo has that's better is the QB. 

On another note,

Buffalo Bills fans clearly have no clue about how badly the defense was banged up, and injured for that Chiefs game. That 3rd string LBer just off the street starting for Buffalo in that Chiefs playoff game (in AJ Klein) was forced to leave the game for a while because of an injury... so many Bills defensive players were nicked up and battling injuries. Normally about half that Bill's defense wouldn't even be playing. It was a playoff game in Buffalo so they went out and played. 

Now take a look at how that high-priced #1 WR for Buffalo Stephon Diggs played in that game.  8 targets and 3 receptions for 21 yards. Pretty miserable in my view.

The Buffalo Bills lost that KC Chiefs playoff game by a missed FG.

On 2/14/2024 at 11:34 AM, BBFL said:

If they play the way they did on defense to the exact same tee, then yes. Doesn’t matter who was under center. 

It was horrible defense. But do you really think, say, Trevor Lawrence or Tua would've pulled that off? I highly doubt it. Beyond the Bills charity, the 13 seconds disaster still required a high level of execution from the Chiefs and an innate understanding of how to quickly identify and attack the weakness in coverage (specifically the positioning of Levi Wallace) by 2 All Pro players in Mahomes and Kelce. 

Edited by buffblue
  • Agree 1

I voted Chiefs standing in the Bills way. 

The evidence is pretty clear. Since 2020 the only team as consistently great as the Bills has been the Chiefs. Chiefs are 1 and Bills are 2 and I am not sure #3 is even close. 

Unlike most people, I actually suspect the Bengals would have beaten the Bills in 2021 season playoffs even if 13 seconds didn’t happen.

However even with that being the case, success is measured at multiple levels in the playoffs and having two conference championship appearances rather than just one would make a big difference.

Also, I do think the Bills were absolutely the clear second best team in the conference in 2020 and 2023. They make it to the Super Bowl in both years if the Chiefs are not in their way. That was especially true in 2020. I don’t think any other team that made the AFC playoffs that year could have ousted the Bills. 

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, buffblue said:

It was horrible defense. But do you really think, say, Trevor Lawrence or Tua would've pulled that off? I highly doubt it. Beyond the Bills charity, the 13 seconds disaster still required a high level of execution from the Chiefs and an innate understanding of how to quickly identify and attack the weakness in coverage (specifically the positioning of Levi Wallace) by 2 All Pro players in Mahomes and Kelce. 

Yes. 100%. They’ve shown they have a place in this league and can pass the ball. Especially Tua lol what a sh-t example… the guy’s bread and butter is 5-15 yard passes. 😂🤦‍♂️

If you really believe that the majority of QBs can’t make a wide open throw when the defense is 10-15 yards off, again, I don’t know what to tel you…

Zach Wilson could make them. Justin Fields, Daniel Jones, Ridder, Bryce Young, Minshew, Dobbs, Pickett, Trubisky, Rudolph, PJ Walker, Tyler Huntley, Mac Jones… All those “bottom feeder” QBs. 

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Seriously, take a long hard look at some teams that draft a QB in the first round and how many work out because the team around them stinks. 

We should all be familiar with the NY Jets, Sam Darnold 2018 (#3 overall) rings a bell, and Zach Wilson 2021 (#2 overall). The New England Patriots with Mac Jones (15th overall)

My point here is that everyone assumes that because a new coaching staff is hired that things will automatically get better. Look how new HC Rex Ryan destroyed the #1 defensive line by asking the linemen to drop into pass coverage and the linebackers to make the plays. 

So many fans here saying that Bill Belichick would be better than McD and if that's the case WTF did he do to Mac Jones? The kid went 10-7 as a rookie under OC Josh McDaniels and he leaves to be the HC of the Raiders. Ole Bill brings in an ex-DC to be the new OC and it probably completely ruined Mac Jones. 

How many Andy Reids are out there and who is to say someone can find him? A new thread was started asking fans here if both McD and Shanahan of the 49ers were fired would the Bills be better off hiring that supposed offensive guru?

Take a look at that chart I posted in that the only team right behind the Chiefs in wins over the last five years has been the Buffalo Bills. Bills #2, 49ers #5. 

Now take a long look at all the talent on that 49ers team. Their receiver corps is better. Their run game is better. Their defense is better. The only thing that Buffalo has that's better is the QB. 

On another note,

Buffalo Bills fans clearly have no clue about how badly the defense was banged up, and injured for that Chiefs game. That 3rd string LBer just off the street starting for Buffalo in that Chiefs playoff game (in AJ Klein) was forced to leave the game for a while because of an injury... so many Bills defensive players were nicked up and battling injuries. Normally about half that Bill's defense wouldn't even be playing. It was a playoff game in Buffalo so they went out and played. 

Now take a look at how that high-priced #1 WR for Buffalo Stephon Diggs played in that game.  8 targets and 3 receptions for 21 yards. Pretty miserable in my view.

The Buffalo Bills lost that KC Chiefs playoff game by a missed FG.

Kyle Shanahan
Nick Siriani
Zach Taylor
Andy Reid
Sean McVay
Bill Bellichek
Doug Pederson

This is the list of coaches who have coached in a Super Bowl during the Sean McDermott Era.  The whole "lost by a field goal" conecept is just a stupid argument.  Nothing in McDermotts track record to suggest the Bills would of course gone on the win the next game. Or the one after that. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.