Bills spent the second most in the nfl on defense

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

And seriously, if you think that Beane has more say wrt the draft than McDermott, then I suppose this would make you a robotic blind fasith loyalist, not quite capable of an original thought. 

Tell me how it works master Jedi.   GM, scouting staff, coaching staff, how does the process work at OBD, I am curious since you are all knowing and have direct knowledge of the inside workings.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Tell me how it works master Jedi.   GM, scouting staff, coaching staff, how does the process work at OBD, I am curious since you are all knowing and have direct knowledge of the inside workings.

You don't need another opinion. Just continue to follow the flock.

51 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Adjust it for after Allen.

To the ridiculous points of some, I mean you have Josh Allen, why bother supporting him.  

If it isn't obvious it never well be.  

If we had drafted Allen before McD, McD wouldn't have had a chance of being here.  And who in their right mind truly believes that under any circumstances we'd be missing the playoffs otherwise with Allen as the QB.  And it's not as if we're doing anything in the playoffs.  

They did support him. Built a top OL. True WR1. Good RB. 1st round slot target. 

The question is Gabe Davis but they liked him. They felt he was a developing WR1.

They didn’t draft to replace Gabe Davis, that’s what people don’t like.

• Like (+1) 1

The injuries excuse would carry a lot more weight with me if the results weren’t the same as when the Bills were the relatively healthy team in the playoffs. Also we all knew giving Von a huge contract with large guarantees was a big risk. Let’s not pretend that wasn’t the case. Glossing over it as simply unlucky without that context is ridiculous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I thought the Bills were really big spenders on the defensive side with putting it kindly mixed results but it does put where the front offices priorities are in perspective. 

To be fair, if they were healthy, they were a top-3 unit, even without Von being healthy. We saw a glimpse of that in the first Miami game, before Tre went down.

So the spend did produce the results. 

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The question is Gabe Davis but they liked him. They felt he was a developing WR1.

I didn’t like having no depth or other young prospects in the wings as a boundary WR for effectively two seasons. 

It would’ve been nice to have a young second year role player who could have maybe seen his snap count increase when Diggs lost a step or if Gabe got hurt, both of which happened this season. Instead we watched Trent Sherfield and last year Jake the Snake Kumerow play out their fantasy of being actual NFL players.

But really, that wasn’t a problem because of defensive spending. Just a failure to target a completely obvious move. Now we are painted into a corner of drafting one this year high, and god help Beane if it’s another Quentin Johnston bust.

18 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Oh the irony

Your deflection is confirmation you don't have an answer

Obviously this discussion is going nowhere. Let me know the next time (if ever) an original thought finds it's way past your filters and into your brain. 

Good luck!

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

An interesting analysis would be finding out how many teams in modern NFL history with a top-2, or say top-3 even, QB, did less to support that QB.  

You bring up an interesting topic PBF on Sirius a few months ago might have been moving the chains. They said the Bills are the only team in playoff contention at the time that didn’t have a WR on their active roster that was originally drafted before the 4th round cause Diggs was a trade and originally a 5th round pick. The front office definitely doesn’t value the position as much as some other teams do. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

15 hours ago, MJS said:

The Bills had a top 5 defense, even with all the injuries.

You mean after they went out and filled 2 of 3 holes that went down. That stretch after the Miami game they were the worst D in the league until the signed Joseph  and traded for Douglas. 

Edited by BananaB
  • Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I didn’t like having no depth or other young prospects in the wings as a boundary WR for effectively two seasons. 

It would’ve been nice to have a young second year role player who could have maybe seen his snap count increase when Diggs lost a step or if Gabe got hurt, both of which happened this season. Instead we watched Trent Sherfield and last year Jake the Snake Kumerow play out their fantasy of being actual NFL players.

But really, that wasn’t a problem because of defensive spending. Just a failure to target a completely obvious move. Now we are painted into a corner of drafting one this year high, and god help Beane if it’s another Quentin Johnston bust.

Looking through the draft there really wasn’t much for the Bills early in the draft besides 2019. Would’ve had to be a UFA. Again, there weren’t many options.

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

How’d that work out in the playoffs….. for the third year in a row😏

They’ve also been a top 5 offense. How’d that work out for us?

People think this is easy obviously, getting to and winning a superbowl.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Looking through the draft there really wasn’t much for the Bills early in the draft besides 2019. Would’ve had to be a UFA. Again, there weren’t many options.

What do you mean there wasn’t much? There wasn’t much better than Trent Sherfield, who is literal end of roster trash? That’s not true.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

1 true WR1 in 7 years, at top dollar, that now everyone's complaining about after 4 seasons.  Hope many WRs did they draft on days 1 & 2?  Zero

RB?  7 seasons in and we have a decent one.

OL?  How many OL drafted after Allen?   How many good ones?  

As one of Davis' biggest supporters, that statement is laughable, and he was a 4th, 128th overall.  He never had the skillset to be a #1.  

They "felt" a lot of things that never happened.  McD felt that Peterman was good for example.  Nothing could have been further from the truth.  

You're reaching.  

😏

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

What do you mean there wasn’t much? There wasn’t much better than Trent Sherfield, who is literal end of roster trash? That’s not true.

You said depth. What did you expect for depth? If this is a Hopkins post you already know he wasn’t depth. He would’ve replaced Gabe Davis and they weren’t doing that.

29 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You bring up an interesting topic PBF on Sirius a few months ago might have been moving the chains. They said the Bills are the only team in playoff contention at the time that didn’t have a WR on their active roster that was originally drafted before the 4th round cause Diggs was a trade and originally a 5th round pick. The front office definitely doesn’t value the position as much as some other teams do. 

A very similar argument can be made about OL as well.  

Before O'Torrence, late in round 2, the only two OL they drafted prior to the 161st overall were Ford (38th) and Brown (93rd) in the late 3rd 

Everyone knows that the two most important things needed for any QB to make maximum use of his skills are OL & WR.

That's 101 Basics.  Apparently we struggle with that.  They're finally catching on after nearly a decade.  We'll find out to what extent very soon.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You said depth. What did you expect for depth? If this is a Hopkins post you already know he wasn’t depth. He would’ve replaced Gabe Davis and they weren’t doing that.

DJ Chark (who has had seasons better than Sherfield’s whole career) signed for less than Harty last offseason.

Nico Collins was a third rounder in 2021 (we took Boogie for DE depth in the second that year).

Do not tell me there was NO opportunity to shore up the boundary WR position in the last 3 seasons besides Kumerow and Harty/Sherfield. It’s not true.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The front office definitely doesn’t value the position as much as some other teams do. 

This is true. Brandon Beane came from Carolina where during his tenure in their front office they didn't value wide receiver in the draft and spent among the lowest capital in the league over a ten year period on it (one 1st, one 2nd and two 3rds in 10 drafts). 

When Beane was hired as our general manager I did a breakdown of how the Panthers had drafted and what they have prioritised in free agency during his time there. What I concluded was they were one of the teams that still valued running back higher than the league average trend and they prioritised resources in their defensive front 7. The positions they general under invested early picks in (certainly in relation to the league) were wide receiver and corner. I think those trends have absolutely carried over to here. I know they drafted Elam in the first but he is the only corner Beane has picked in the first three rounds throughout his six drafts which is way below the league average. But in both places defensive line has been the priority over and over again. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.