McD’s fingerprints on draft choices

WIDE LEFT

If I was Pegula I would put strict limitations on McD’s role in drafting players & signing free agents. I will give McD a pass on his decision not to draft Mahomes (which Pegula wanted to do). But draft decisions since then reflect a defensive minded bent, and have negatively impacted Alllen’s career. In an era where you can get a quality RB anywhere, we used (wasted)  two third round picks and one second round pick on running backs, two of whom no longer play for Bills. Imagine if those three picks had been used on wide receivers. It’s a good bet that at least one of those WRs would have developed into that field stretching quality threat that Allen so desperately needs. Bills O faced man to man coverages more than any other team in the league - our WRs can’t separate consistently.

Then there’s the recent draft where TWO defensive ends were taken in rounds 1 and 2. Huge free agent signing -Miller - defense. And DB Elam with a round one pick. So running backs (to ensure a strong ground game) and multiple picks and signings of defensive assets. A defensive coach’s dream!! But that’s not NFL 2024. Even with all these assets being devoted to defense, it’s been the defense which has repeatedly failed in the playoffs. Stop wasting Allen’s career, give him the weapons he needs and deserves, and let’s go outscore everybody. Step one, keep McD’s role in talent acquisition to a bare minimum. He has earned that

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I love how McDermott gets blame on everything bad lol. Give me a break, those are beanes picks 

It’s a group effort. Beane said a few years ago McDermott trusted management more.

McDermott was king early on but the last few years Beane has been given more trust. I still think what McDermott wants he gets. Take Bernard for example, he was 100% a McDermott pick. Tre White as well. His best friend coached them and McDermott trusts that guy with his life.

I think McDermott’s fingerprints are on everything. It’s really his show here in Buffalo. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If you think McD doesn’t have a huge voice in draft picks I just can’t help you. Maybe listen to a podcast or two, as in a Bill Polian interview where he lays out how the process works. I mean really, all those defensive minded picks & free agents, and you think it’s just a coincidence, that Beane is drafting completely on his own. Because he just loves defense. That the head coach, whose specialty is defense, didn’t have a huge say. Please

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

If I was Pegula I would put strict limitations on McD’s role in drafting players & signing free agents. I will give McD a pass on his decision not to draft Mahomes (which Pegula wanted to do). But draft decisions since then reflect a defensive minded bent, and have negatively impacted Alllen’s career. In an era where you can get a quality RB anywhere, we used (wasted)  two third round picks and one second round pick on running backs, two of whom no longer play for Bills. Imagine if those three picks had been used on wide receivers. It’s a good bet that at least one of those WRs would have developed into that field stretching quality threat that Allen so desperately needs. Bills O faced man to man coverages more than any other team in the league - our WRs can’t separate consistently.

Then there’s the recent draft where TWO defensive ends were taken in rounds 1 and 2. Huge free agent signing -Miller - defense. And DB Elam with a round one pick. So running backs (to ensure a strong ground game) and multiple picks and signings of defensive assets. A defensive coach’s dream!! But that’s not NFL 2024. Even with all these assets being devoted to defense, it’s been the defense which has repeatedly failed in the playoffs. Stop wasting Allen’s career, give him the weapons he needs and deserves, and let’s go outscore everybody. Step one, keep McD’s role in talent acquisition to a bare minimum. He has earned that

https://www.chiefs.com/news/a-look-back-at-every-first-round-draft-pick-in-chiefs-history-x2528

https://www.chiefs.com/news/a-look-back-at-every-second-round-draft-pick-in-chiefs-history-x6310#:~:text=- Eight of the Chiefs' second,Getty (119)%2C defensive tackle

With what you saying then Reid needs to be limited in his input on the draft too because well you check it out ... 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

52 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

Boogie Basham 2nd Rd pick in the trash. Don't forget to add Cody Ford he was a waste of a couple of pks because they traded up for him and Elam as well. So not only are they drafting busts but there trading up for said busts which makes it even worse. I mean there trading up which means they have convection that these players are good. That's just awful not only does he need to be neutered but fired as well and he can take his puppet side kick Beany with him 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

If you think McD doesn’t have a huge voice in draft picks I just can’t help you. Maybe listen to a podcast or two, as in a Bill Polian interview where he lays out how the process works. I mean really, all those defensive minded picks & free agents, and you think it’s just a coincidence, that Beane is drafting completely on his own. Because he just loves defense. That the head coach, whose specialty is defense, didn’t have a huge say. Please

But is he wrong? The offense has been good and has the 2 best players on the team. If only they picked other offensive positions over the 3 RBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I think we’d have a different view on this.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

33 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Beane and McDermott work very closely but Brandon Beane has control over the draft. He is accountable for the picks.

Yes, Beane has final say. He does take McDermott's views heavily under advisement especially when it comes to a pick where there are 2 guys they could pick that are graded pretty equal. And that's how it should work, quite frankly. 

Do people really want Beane to say "EFF off Sean, I'll pick guys and you figure out how they fit"?  Who wouldn't want a team where the HC and GM work together? 

It's almost odd the way certain fans attribute every good pick to "Beane's a wizard" and every bad pick to "Ungh, McDermott has too much say so". The McDermott Derangement Syndrome on this board is seriously comical at times IMO.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I've lost all faith in this regime that they can fairly evaluate talent at any level.

Spend a boat load of picks on the D every year in the draft and FA's and the D fails us every year with a D minded HC, mind you.....you see where i'm going with this?

Draft absolutely nothing of value for the O and expect JA to be a "one man show" every week.

It's disgusting.

And we wonder why we just can't seem to get over the hump and even just get to a SB, let alone win one.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 9/8/2023 at 6:44 PM, Simon said:

Since we don't need a new thread every time some needy media personality says something to draw attention to themselves, I'm just creating this thread to have a place to drop them.

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

But is he wrong? The offense has been good and has the 2 best players on the team. If only they picked other offensive positions over the 3 RBs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds I think we’d have a different view on this.

The offense should be better than good. It has a superstar QB. Yes if they picked other offensive positions besides RB ( like, maybe wide receivers) the view would be different. Taking 3 RBs in early rounds is a defensive coaches philosophy, since a ground and pound offense protects your defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, WIDE LEFT said:

The offense should be better than good. It has a superstar QB. Yes if they picked other offensive positions besides RB ( like, maybe wide receivers) the view would be different. Taking 3 RBs in early rounds is a defensive coaches philosophy, since a ground and pound offense protects your defense.

Are you guaranteeing that these 3rd round WR picks would have been successful?

Are we really a ground and pound philosophy?  I ask because Josh Allen has had the 3rd most passing attempts since 2019, the first year of the 3 RB's drafted in early rounds and that includes all the games that we blew out teams early and stopped throwing the ball or Allen is sitting in the 4th.  We are a very, very pass happy team.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

The above is from 9 years ago but the numbers have not changed much.

"The third round has the second highest number of receivers drafted with 52 but only a 25% success rate."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sweats said:

I've lost all faith in this regime that they can fairly evaluate talent at any level.

Spend a boat load of picks on the D every year in the draft and FA's and the D fails us every year with a D minded HC, mind you.....you see where i'm going with this?

Draft absolutely nothing of value for the O and expect JA to be a "one man show" every week.

It's disgusting.

And we wonder why we just can't seem to get over the hump and even just get to a SB, let alone win one.

He did spent 3 second day picks on RBs in 4 years. And also traded for Heins 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.