Bills Positional Coach Hires

KingBoots8

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bringing in big names doesn’t always work

out. Look no further than our rival Dolphins. They hired Fangio to get them over the hump and stop Josh Allen

0-2 vs the Bills

Wildcard exit

Need a new DC

Everyone points to spags but you could just as easily get Fangio and have nothing to show for it 

Or, conversely you could get a Monken that (deserved or not) helped get Lamar an almost certain MVP. 

My personal problem isn't that they promote from within for the coordinator position. It's that when they have the opportunity to expand they take a hard pass. They aren't even open to the idea that there may be someone even better suited to help the team achieve the goal of a Super Bowl. 

Now, granted they may interview more candidates than are announced. And we don't know who was offered and declined. However it would be unusual for someone that interviews not to have their agent drop that nugget to a Schefty or Ian Rap. But the announced interview process of "internal, minority, minority...hire internal" for coordinator positions is a bit transparent. 

That said, I like the Babich hire. I don't mind the Brady hire. Both make sense. I like the youth movement. Even promoting West is a good step in getting younger on the coaching staff. But not taking the opportunity to sit down with some coaches from the outside seems like a missed opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Or, conversely you could get a Monken that (deserved or not) helped get Lamar an almost certain MVP. 

My personal problem isn't that they promote from within for the coordinator position. It's that when they have the opportunity to expand they take a hard pass. They aren't even open to the idea that there may be someone even better suited to help the team achieve the goal of a Super Bowl. 

Now, granted they may interview more candidates than are announced. And we don't know who was offered and declined. However it would be unusual for someone that interviews not to have their agent drop that nugget to a Schefty or Ian Rap. But the announced interview process of "internal, minority, minority...hire internal" for coordinator positions is a bit transparent. 

That said, I like the Babich hire. I don't mind the Brady hire. Both make sense. I like the youth movement. Even promoting West is a good step in getting younger on the coaching staff. But not taking the opportunity to sit down with some coaches from the outside seems like a missed opportunity.

All good points.

One thing I'll mention on the other side, dilly-dallying around with a bunch of other candidates and even some big names from the outside, can easily drive your internal candidates to take those other jobs they were interviewed for.

The Bills waste another week dealing with the schedules of big names and by the end of the week Babich lands in Green Bay and Brady takes the OC job in Atlanta, and then we don't even like the outside guys and we're left holding our puds.

Something similar just happened to the Commanders. They dragged their feet on MacDonald waiting to see what Johnson was going to do, and by the time Johnson told them he was staying in Detroit and they called MacDonald back, MacDonald was already in Seattle. And now, Quinn. :bag:

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

All good points.

One thing I'll mention on the other side, dilly-dallying around with a bunch of other candidates and even some big names from the outside, can easily drive your internal candidates to take those other jobs they were interviewed for.

The Bills waste another week dealing with the schedules of big names and by the end of the week Babich lands in Green Bay and Brady takes the OC job in Atlanta, and then we don't even like the outside guys and we're left holding our puds.

Something similar just happened to the Commanders. They dragged their feet on MacDonald waiting to see what Johnson was going to do, and by the time Johnson told them he was staying in Detroit and they called MacDonald back, MacDonald was already in Seattle. And now, Quinn. :bag:

I absolutely agree with your other points. It can certainly be an unnecessary risk. And I'm sure where it comes to timelines and if Brady/Babich were offered a position on another team McDermott would know better than us. Making the divisional round means we are at minimum 2 weeks behind replacing a coordinator as some teams were able to start on Black Monday.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sunshynman said:

Because it's that easy to win it all! Before the last Detroit game, people here have said: We can win it all if we have coach Campbell. It takes good coaching, good- great talent, peaking at the right time, less injuries, and a bunch of luck! 

One of the major problems with this team for the past four years has been the coaching.  Coaching in the 13 seconds game, problems with OCs, problems with the SPC, problems with the D-line coach.  You can make excuses and say it's luck in a couple of playoff games, but this team is now way past luck with the amount of failures they've had in the regular season/playoffs. 

Have the Chiefs just been lucky?  No, they Mahomes and Reid.  The Bills have Josh Allen, who outside of Burrow has seriously challenged him as the best in the league.  He's an elite QB being held back by this coaching staff and this GM.  

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Good offenses and good defenses that haven't won anything.  The team is strictly following a formula that hasn't worked.  

Who are they bringing in with Superbowl pedigree?  McDaniels? His offenses have been below average without Brady. 

10 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Who are they bringing in with Superbowl pedigree?  McDaniels? His offenses have been below average without Brady. 

I'm not saying they need to bring in someone who has won 10 Superbowls.  I'm saying what they've been building for the last 5 years hasn't worked and it might be time for a change in philosophy.

10 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

I'm not saying they need to bring in someone who has won 10 Superbowls.  I'm saying what they've been building for the last 5 years hasn't worked and it might be time for a change in philosophy.

They won their division 4 years in a row.  I know division titles and Wildcard wins are not the goal but they havent been failures.  Mcdermotts defense has been top half of the NFL most years top 5 or 10 so his defensive philosophy is sound. We are yet to see Bradys offense.  He showed good play calling prowess so there is optimism there.  Have you followed the Bills for more than 5 years?  This was what everyone wanted during the drought years.  Every year being on the short list to win it all.  Here we are. Buffalo has top 5 Superbowl odds next year and we now need a entire new Philosophy?  

21 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

This is the most unbelievable post I’ve ever read. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Mat68 said:

They won their division 4 years in a row.  I know division titles and Wildcard wins are not the goal but they havent been failures.  Mcdermotts defense has been top half of the NFL most years top 5 or 10 so his defensive philosophy is sound. We are yet to see Bradys offense.  He showed good play calling prowess so there is optimism there.  Have you followed the Bills for more than 5 years?  This was what everyone wanted during the drought years.  Every year being on the short list to win it all.  Here we are. Buffalo has top 5 Superbowl odds next year and we now need a entire new Philosophy?  

What an uninspired argument. 

I wasn't old enough to enjoy the nineties Bills so they've been bad pretty much my entire life of watching football.  I want the Bills to win the Superbowl like every other fan who watches.  

4 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

What an uninspired argument. 

I wasn't old enough to enjoy the nineties Bills so they've been bad pretty much my entire life of watching football.  I want the Bills to win the Superbowl like every other fan who watches.  

So you know how bad it can be.  Realistically, Buffalo were untimely injuries to Benard, Rapp and Benford away from beating KC.  With all that they were a few dropps and a missed 45 yard FG away. Your  right its failed fire everyone and it might be better but probably worst.   

1 minute ago, Mat68 said:

So you know how bad it can be.  Realistically, Buffalo were untimely injuries to Benard, Rapp and Benford away from beating KC.  With all that they were a few dropps and a missed 45 yard FG away. Your  right its failed fire everyone and it might be better but probably worst.   

That's the chance you take to try and win.  I don't know what would have happened after the field goal, but I doubt they stop KC and win.  They played terribly on defense in that game just like the year before against the Bengals and the two years before that.  

The excuse to sit on a mediocre head coach kind of works when the coaching market was a couple of highly touted coordinators.  That wasn't the case this year with Belichick, Harbaugh, and Carroll being available.  

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree that so many promotions from within seems kind of weird.  When I ran business organizations, I mostly promoted from within but liked to hire from the outside sometimes for fresh ideas.  But all the Bills' promotions are obvious...

Babich has a thin (ish) resume but has been around football all his life and performed well in his stints as a position coach.   Many think he's a young, up-and-coming talent.  Dodson called him, "The best coach I've ever had, hands down."  

West likewise has earned praise from players and might be another emerging coaching star.

Holcomb has been a LB and DC before.  Seems like an obvious choice for LBers.  

Brady is the only promotion I'm not entirely comfortable with.  I didn't think he was awesome in his tryout as an OC.  But maybe an offseason will allow him to implement his ideas better.  I was hoping we'd find someone better but I'm not sure how hard McD looked.  Sometimes there are phone calls and interviews that don't make the news.  

The new QB coach could come from the outside though Mike Shula, an internal guy, might be the more obvious choice.  

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Mediocre. This is make or break year for McDermott. Get to the Super Bowl and if he doesn't and he keeps his job, I'm going to be very upset.

Fixed it for you.

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Does Pegula know ? 

It always slays me when people say this like it's a certainty. Maybe in their mind, but I've yet to hear anything leaked that he's on a 1 year Super Bowl or Bust mandate - except from fans.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Im not so sure … I think they need to miss the playoffs 

Agreed. They have to miss the playoffs and/or he has to lose the locker room. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree that so many promotions from within seems kind of weird.  When I ran business organizations, I mostly promoted from within but liked to hire from the outside sometimes for fresh ideas.  But all the Bills' promotions are obvious...

Babich has a thin (ish) resume but has been around football all his life and performed well in his stints as a position coach.   Many think he's a young, up-and-coming talent.  Dodson called him, "The best coach I've ever had, hands down."  

West likewise has earned praise from players and might be another emerging coaching star.

Holcomb has been a LB and DC before.  Seems like an obvious choice for LBers.  

Brady is the only promotion I'm not entirely comfortable with.  I didn't think he was awesome in his tryout as an OC.  But maybe an offseason will allow him to implement his ideas better.  I was hoping we'd find someone better but I'm not sure how hard McD looked.  Sometimes there are phone calls and interviews that don't make the news.  

The new QB coach could come from the outside though Mike Shula, an internal guy, might be the more obvious choice.  

Very well could. The Bills do have a few guys that they could give the job to on staff, though.

- Marc Lubick Asst. WR Coach. Spent 2017 as Buffalo's assistant QB coach.

- Kyle Shurmur. Started working with defense last year. Switched to offense QC this year. Former QB. Maybe he's the Assistant QB coach next year?

-DJ Mangas. 

None of them would shock me at all, either. My guess may be Mangas QB coach, Shurmur assistant QB coach.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, warrior9 said:

I do believe this is one of McDermott's faults... to an extent. 

It's great for continuity, etc .. I get that but there has to be new faces, new ideas, new concepts, new coaches that are going to challenge and move the needle for us. 

It's been said on here 10000x about the definition of insanity.... and this is proving to be true. Keeping all of the same people in the building and on staff is not a recipe to 'get over the hump" 

hell, I dont think our special teams coordinator lost his job and they were atrocious this year. 

I agree with u and this should prove that Mcd is a control freak wants things done only his way. The Bills probably run the least wide 9, stunts and twists then any team in the league. Seems like we're always rushing the same way on every play. If anyone can correct please do. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

19 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bringing in big names doesn’t always work

out. Look no further than our rival Dolphins. They hired Fangio to get them over the hump and stop Josh Allen

0-2 vs the Bills

Wildcard exit

Need a new DC

Everyone points to spags but you could just as easily get Fangio and have nothing to show for it 

The Dolphins D was one of best during the 2nd half of the season u can't blame Fangio for the injuries that occurred right before the playoffs they were missing 7 starters on defense against KC and still held them to less yds and pts then the Bills gave up to KC. I realize we also had injuries but Fangio did a great job with the Dolphins.

• Disagree 1

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Very well could. The Bills do have a few guys that they could give the job to on staff, though.

- Marc Lubick Asst. WR Coach. Spent 2017 as Buffalo's assistant QB coach.

- Kyle Shurmur. Started working with defense last year. Switched to offense QC this year. Former QB. Maybe he's the Assistant QB coach next year?

-DJ Mangas. 

None of them would shock me at all, either. My guess may be Mangas QB coach, Shurmur assistant QB coach.

Brady was an outside hire 2 years ago.  When Daboll left Doursey was promoted they brought in Brady.  An offensive assistant under Sean Payton.  Passing game coordinator for Burrows hiesman/natty run.  Had a rough stint in Carolina but since Tepper took over that place looks like a dumpster fire.

Mind you both Beane and Mcdermott were hired as interns.  They both started at the bottom of buildings and moved up.  They will lean into that vs going outside.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I agree with u and this should prove that Mcd is a control freak wants things done only his way. The Bills probably run the least wide 9, stunts and twists then any team in the league. Seems like we're always rushing the same way on every play. If anyone can correct please do. 

We run a ton of stunts this year. We don't run a ton of wide 9 though. That is true.

3 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

The Dolphins D was one of best during the 2nd half of the season u can't blame Fangio for the injuries that occurred right before the playoffs they were missing 7 starters on defense against KC and still held them to less yds and pts then the Bills gave up to KC. I realize we also had injuries but Fangio did a great job with the Dolphins.

He really didn't. They were better but not better enough for the talent level on that team.

21 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Brady was an outside hire 2 years ago.  When Daboll left Doursey was promoted they brought in Brady.  An offensive assistant under Sean Payton.  Passing game coordinator for Burrows hiesman/natty run.  Had a rough stint in Carolina but since Tepper took over that place looks like a dumpster fire.

Mind you both Beane and Mcdermott were hired as interns.  They both started at the bottom of buildings and moved up.  They will lean into that vs going outside.  

I'm well aware of Brady's history. At some point most hires are "outside" hires. As you said, he had 2 years in Buffalo. Makes it an internal hire. 

And again, nothing wrong with hiring internally. Especially when the program has been successful. You fill the pipeline from outside, teach them your ways, promote and refill the pipeline. It's understandable. 

My only contention is that they don't seem to take advantage of the opening to interview anyone other than the 2 mandatory minority candidates. Good chance to network and get a feel for some of the young up and commers in person. It's a missed opportunity IMO.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm well aware of Brady's history. At some point most hires are "outside" hires. As you said, he had 2 years in Buffalo. Makes it an internal hire. 

And again, nothing wrong with hiring internally. Especially when the program has been successful. You fill the pipeline from outside, teach them your ways, promote and refill the pipeline. It's understandable. 

My only contention is that they don't seem to take advantage of the opening to interview anyone other than the 2 mandatory minority candidates. Good chance to network and get a feel for some of the young up and commers in person. It's a missed opportunity IMO.

I don't mind so much on DC. It is going to be McDermott's show in any event and they have an up and coming guy on staff who they needed to retain. 

On OC this was a really pivitol hire. I feel like Brady was probably the right outcome. But they should have run a proper search IMO. Brought a Kellen Moore in, a Kliff Kingsbury, a Davis Webb. I do think Thad Lewis made sense and was a credible candidate, but he was the only other candidate they interviewed as far as we know. So while he was a credible candidate his interview here was to fulfill the requirements before they hired Brady.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.