Is Mahomes at Brady Levels?

Mikie2times

If you started watching football in the 90's or earlier you got to witness the entirety of Brady with some decent context to boot. It felt like Brady was inevitable . If he had the ball late it wasn't if he would score but when. Leads didn't matter. He practically erased other HOF level QB's of that generation. Sure Ben, Peyton, and Drew eventually got one, which is good lesson for us because it really felt unlikely for a period of time. I think most of us feel like that level of domination just isn't possible again.  Like what we saw was a once in lifetime thing. Bruce Smiths sack record, Barry Sanders doing Barry things. You just don't think you will see some things again because until that point all those years taught you they shouldn't happen in the first place. 

So when we see a guy like Mahomes have this type of success we sort of think, ok, ya, he's good but do it again. Then the next year you say the same thing. Then the next and the next and eventually you forget that you have been saying do it again for half a decade. Maybe what we are seeing is in fact another version of what all of us hoped we would never see again. Which as history has taught us, does not mean we will not get one or perhaps more, but it does mean it will be a very difficult path. 

Brady played in an era where stats were just not as easy to pile up as Mahomes so when you look at the data keep that in context. 

After 6 years in the league......

Mahomes = 4 AFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls, 1 pending 

Brady = 3 AFC championships, 3 Super Bowls

The stats after 6 seasons aren't really close. I included Allen's most recent 5 years and extrapolated it into 6 years for comparisons sake.  

image.thumb.png.cc7d78399592046ad873aa6aa1415cc0.png

We sit here every offseason trying to solve why we didn't get to the Super Bowl like it's a physics question. Nobody would think that way during the Brady era. You knew out of the gate you weren't the favorite. You never were going to be the favorite and it would take something special to overcome it. We don't think that way because we keep saying ya, sure, do it again. Over and over it goes.

Edited by Mikie2times
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

Can we put the Mahomes threads in a different forum please?

He doesn’t play for the Bills. Yes he’s good. Yes Josh is also good. Yes he is beatable. Yes he has beaten the Bills in the playoffs often.

Cool.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

According to those stats, so is Allen.  But the BILLS haven't been as good as the Pats or Chiefs.

Allen is Phillip Rivers. Maybe he can pop out 7 kids so he can be known for more than being the guy that always loses in the playoffs

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yawn … we’ll see in about 14 more years. 

Curious what you have seen in the last 6 that doesn't tell you it can't go on for another 10? He has played in every conference championship since 2018 starting as a 2nd year player. We haven't seen that before. We sort of saw it with one other player. 

7 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Can we put the Mahomes threads in a different forum please?

He doesn’t play for the Bills. Yes he’s good. Yes Josh is also good. Yes he is beatable. Yes he has beaten the Bills in the playoffs often.

Cool.

Plenty of threads you don't need to be compelled to go into them all

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Allen is Phillip Rivers. Maybe he can pop out 7 kids so he can be known for more than being the guy that always loses in the playoffs

Josh is way above Rivers. Big Ben, Peyton, and Brees comparisons are more accurate in the scheme of this conversation. 

• Agree 2

No, he's at Bradshaw and Aikman level now, a great quarterback, sure fire Hall of Famer.

If he wins this year, and then a few more, then he will be in the  GOAT conversation. Not yet, despite the media's penchant for hyperbole.

Premature to do so now when Brady went to TEN and won SEVEN!, doing so over a loong period of time with extremely different teams. And two different teams.

Almost inconceivable--he played in 10, won 7!!

We just want one!

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

29 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

No...so far he's better 

Yea, I’m curious to see if the chiefs retool and he gets a gronk/moss type of cast if he will be an absolute buzz saw like the pats were…. But he’s matches or exceeded Brady in most ways 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Yea, I’m curious to see if the chiefs retool and he gets a gronk/moss type of cast if he will be an absolute buzz saw like the pats were…. But he’s matches or exceeded Brady in most ways 

Funny you say that because it will be his 7th year next season and it was Brady's 7th year when they went undefeated in the regular season. 

• Shocked 1

38 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Right now I’d rather he be Rivers than the current Chargers QB….at least Rivers knows how to get his team to the playoffs 

24 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

That and can he do it for 20 years? Brady had the longevity. Mahomes looks like a doughboy. I doubt he watches what he eats or takes care of his body like Brady did

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

That and can he do it for 20 years? Brady had the longevity. Mahomes looks like a doughboy. I doubt he watches what he eats or takes care of his body like Brady did

It’s a much less physical game today than when Brady played. You can’t even touch the QB in many instances, so that helps. If Mahomes wants to play for 20, he’s got the sort of game that could do it. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Can he get to 40? I mean that’s not even that abnormal at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

If you started watching football in the 90's or earlier you got to witness the entirety of Brady with some decent context to boot. It felt like Brady was inevitable . If he had the ball late it wasn't if he would score but when. Leads didn't matter. He practically erased other HOF level QB's of that generation. Sure Ben, Peyton, and Drew eventually got one, which is good lesson for us because it really felt unlikely for a period of time. I think most of us feel like that level of domination just isn't possible again.  Like what we saw was a once in lifetime thing. Bruce Smiths sack record, Barry Sanders doing Barry things. You just don't think you will see some things again because until that point all those years taught you they shouldn't happen in the first place. 

So when we see a guy like Mahomes have this type of success we sort of think, ok, ya, he's good but do it again. Then the next year you say the same thing. Then the next and the next and eventually you forget that you have been saying do it again for half a decade. Maybe what we are seeing is in fact another version of what all of us hoped we would never see again. Which as history has taught us, does not mean we will not get one or perhaps more, but it does mean it will be a very difficult path. 

Brady played in an era where stats were just not as easy to pile up as Mahomes so when you look at the data keep that in context. 

After 6 years in the league......

Mahomes = 4 AFC Championships, 2 Super Bowls, 1 pending 

Brady = 3 AFC championships, 3 Super Bowls

The stats after 6 seasons aren't really close. I included Allen's most recent 5 years and extrapolated it into 6 years for comparisons sake.  

image.thumb.png.cc7d78399592046ad873aa6aa1415cc0.png

We sit here every offseason trying to solve why we didn't get to the Super Bowl like it's a physics question. Nobody would think that way during the Brady era. You knew out of the gate you weren't the favorite. You never were going to be the favorite and it would take something special to overcome it. We don't think that way because we keep saying ya, sure, do it again. Over and over it goes.

I dont think the Colts with Manning or the Steelers with Roethlisberger thought they were that far behind Brady. 

Same goes for Bills and Bengals. 

Maybe the Chargers and Raiders do having to face him twice a year. But my guess is Harbaugh won't have the Chargers playing in awe or fear of him or the Chiefs.

2 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

Funny you say that because it will be his 7th year next season and it was Brady's 7th year when they went undefeated in the regular season. 

That year was the turning point in Brady's career as I recall. Up until that point he had the rings but never had dominant statistics. Up until that year, I always thought Peyton was the better QB but he just wasn't on the better team.

I often say Mahomes is Manning and Brady rolled into one so far in his early career. He has the stats and the rings. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.