Senior Bowl updates

HappyDays

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah his performance was inexplicable.    Nothing like the player he was on tape, in-season in the ACC.    

Man I’d love to grab him in the 2nd round. I don’t care what the senior bowl and combine say, the guy is a difference maker. Grab the speedster, Thomas round 1, Tez round 2 and Luke McCaffrey round 5 and McD can nab all the defense he wants the rest of the draft lol

1 hour ago, gonzo1105 said:

The whole DT rotation has to be stabilized. We literally have 1 guy under contract right now 

yeah a 3T…one of their best/  highest paid players ….

Doesn’t seem a great 1T class this year …nor the FA class….this is a bigger concern in my view …

Edited by Aussie Joe

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah his performance was inexplicable.    Nothing like the player he was on tape, in-season in the ACC.    

I didn’t think his tape at UNC was particularly impressive either to be honest. There’s definitely good traits in there but nobody on that team really created separation consistently or caught the ball well IMO. I was admittedly more focused on the QB than the WRs though so I’ll probably go back and focus on Tez specifically later. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

Man I’d love to grab him in the 2nd round. I don’t care what the senior bowl and combine say, the guy is a difference maker. Grab the speedster, Thomas round 1, Tez round 2 and Luke McCaffrey round 5 and McD can nab all the defense he wants the rest of the draft lol

He is tall and fast.  I only watched two of his games at UNC, but he doesn’t seem very developed in terms of routes and other than using his straight line speed, I don’t see how he would get open in the NFL.  There is physical ability to work with, but I wouldn’t want to count on him to contribute as a rookie.

55 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He is tall and fast.  I only watched two of his games at UNC, but he doesn’t seem very developed in terms of routes and other than using his straight line speed, I don’t see how he would get open in the NFL.  There is physical ability to work with, but I wouldn’t want to count on him to contribute as a rookie.

He's not even that tall. He measured in at 6'1 at the Senior Bowl. He's average height and has decent speed. There's a lot of average in the draft class and he doesn't wow. If you're looking for a nice round 2 guy, look at Ja'Lynn Polk and Brenden Rice. Jmo

5 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

He's not even that tall. He measured in at 6'1 at the Senior Bowl. He's average height and has decent speed. There's a lot of average in the draft class and he doesn't wow. If you're looking for a nice round 2 guy, look at Ja'Lynn Polk and Brenden Rice. Jmo

I’m not a Tez guy myself but he does have good speed. It was one game, but Polk struggled in the elements against Oregon State which has dropped him in my own personal rankings.

Glad you mentioned Brenden Rice. I think would be perfect in Buffalo. A bigger, physical receiver with enough long speed and he is smart and knows how to make plays for his QB when the play goes off script. One of my targets for the bills.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I’m not a Tez guy myself but he does have good speed. It was one game, but Polk struggled in the elements against Oregon State which has dropped him in my own personal rankings.

Glad you mentioned Brenden Rice. I think would be perfect in Buffalo. A bigger, physical receiver with enough long speed and he is smart and knows how to make plays for his QB when the play goes off script. One of my targets for the bills.

He would be a nice pick if they take another position in round 1, but be prepared for the “40 guys” to not like him when he runs 4.5-4.6.

8 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

He would be a nice pick if they take another position in round 1, but be prepared for the “40 guys” to not like him when he runs 4.5-4.6.

I wouldn't hate Rice in round 2 but he is an early 3rd grade for me right now and as a Bills fit - only if they have found an explosive guy in the first. 

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Faster than his Dad tho! Haha

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't hate Rice in round 2 but he is an early 3rd grade for me right now and as a Bills fit - only if they have found an explosive guy in the first. 

Unfortunately the top 4 explosive guys will likely be gone (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Franklin) by 28. Worthy is next on my rankings but after seeing the Bills WRs manhandled in the playoffs the past 4 years I do want a more physical player for us.

Jermaine Burton and Brenden Rice are actually 6 and 7 respectively in my rankings right now and would love to get them rd2 and 3 if we go elsewhere in round 1. Think both would increase the explosiveness and physicality of our receiving unit. 

Edited by LEBills
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I didn’t think his tape at UNC was particularly impressive either to be honest. There’s definitely good traits in there but nobody on that team really created separation consistently or caught the ball well IMO. I was admittedly more focused on the QB than the WRs though so I’ll probably go back and focus on Tez specifically later. 

Well his tape was universally top 100 and almost everyone had him as a top 50 prospect or higher.

And he played like not even a priority UDFA.   Like a mini-camp invite.  

I think the rumors about him perhaps having issues with mental illness(depression) might be true.   His week was atrocious.  

He could have a precipitous fall if he doesn't answer a lot of questions at the Combine.   Like Da'Rick Rogers type fall.

22 minutes ago, LEBills said:

Faster than his Dad tho! Haha

Unfortunately the top 4 explosive guys will likely be gone (MHJ, Nabers, Odunze, Franklin) by 28. Worthy is next on my rankings but after seeing the Bills WRs manhandled in the playoffs the past 4 years I do want a more physical player for us.

Jermaine Burton and Brenden Rice are actually 6 and 7 respectively in my rankings right now and would love to get them rd2 and 3 if we go elsewhere in round 1. Think both would increase the explosiveness and physicality of our receiving unit. 

Well we have the next group ranked very differently then haha.

12 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

yeah a 3T…one of their best/  highest paid players ….

Doesn’t seem a great 1T class this year …nor the FA class….this is a bigger concern in my view …

All the more reason resigning Jones is big.  This draft looks to be very weak at 1T from what I’ve collected to date

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Agreed, but is Xavier Worthy worth a late first?  The one game I’ve looked at of his, he dropped two pretty easy passes and he looks ultra thin.  He is absolutely fast AND quick.  He will be a dangerous player, but can he play wide at that weight?

Just now, OldTimer1960 said:

Agreed, but is Xavier Worthy worth a late first?  The one game I’ve looked at of his, he dropped two pretty easy passes and he looks ultra thin.  He is absolutely fast AND quick.  He will be a dangerous player, but can he play wide at that weight?

I think he is an early day 2 guy. 

17 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Cover 1 guys loved him after one of the early practices …

He has had a good week … late third is probably where he is at …

He is a 3T though ,,, so he will be the rotational guy behind Oliver … 

Is that value for us to use  our third this year ? 

I think it might be…his play style and athleticism reminds me of Meatball Kyle Williams 👍

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is an early day 2 guy. 

This is exactly the kind of guy I think they were hoping for in Harty. But with that frame, I’d be absolutely mind blown if they took a slot guy at #28 that cannot block in the box. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I think it might be…his play style and athleticism reminds me of Meatball Kyle Williams 👍

I might have had Fiske pegged a bit too low with the late Round 3 vibes unfortunately… 

Edited by Aussie Joe

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

All the more reason resigning Jones is big.  This draft looks to be very weak at 1T from what I’ve collected to date

FWIW my source told me there has been no substantial discussions with DQ for several months now. Last time the Bills and him talked about an extension it was before his injury. It appears that we will only get him back if he finds out he has a worse than expected market in free agency and we're able to get him on a cheap one year deal.

I'm not sure it's sunk in for fans how bad the cap situation is this offseason... It's not like other years where we can just push salary down the road and come out with like $25 million in cap space to work with. The realistic moves I made using Over the Cap's simulator got me around $8M-$10M in available cap space, and that was with me executing every single move that I thought made sense. The long term plan probably relied on being able to restructure Von Miller's and Stefon Diggs' contracts again this year, but now that seems like a terrible idea given how those players performed. I would think Beane will leave those contracts alone so we have an option to get out of them next year, but that means we have to take our medicine this year.

We really have to nail the draft this year and probably rely on late rounders and even a few UDFAs just to build out the roster. I expect rookies will get more playing time than usual under this regime out of necessity. All the wasteful defensive line spending has really caught up to them and they just don't have the resources to overpay old vets anymore.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

If it was from 2023, this does not apply, but I believe he was playing in 2022 with a broken hand. 

20 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

FWIW my source told me there has been no substantial discussions with DQ for several months now. Last time the Bills and him talked about an extension it was before his injury. It appears that we will only get him back if he finds out he has a worse than expected market in free agency and we're able to get him on a cheap one year deal.

I'm not sure it's sunk in for fans how bad the cap situation is this offseason... It's not like other years where we can just push salary down the road and come out with like $25 million in cap space to work with. The realistic moves I made using Over the Cap's simulator got me around $8M-$10M in available cap space, and that was with me executing every single move that I thought made sense. The long term plan probably relied on being able to restructure Von Miller's and Stefon Diggs' contracts again this year, but now that seems like a terrible idea given how those players performed. I would think Beane will leave those contracts alone so we have an option to get out of them next year, but that means we have to take our medicine this year.

We really have to nail the draft this year and probably rely on late rounders and even a few UDFAs just to build out the roster. I expect rookies will get more playing time than usual under this regime out of necessity. All the wasteful defensive line spending has really caught up to them and they just don't have the resources to overpay old vets anymore.

The only silver lining in that is they need to get younger, and it's not a high bar for a reshuffled Dline to perform at the level of most of the players that will walk. DQ is a problem, however, since there are few 1T in the draft worth looking at. I'm hoping they have enough, at least, for a veteran safety, as that is a buyer's market in FA.

22 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I agree with a lot of this …. But what’s the expectation for DQ’s cheap one year deal?  Hope they aren’t waiting for him to take one of Beane’s $1.7m specials 

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

The only silver lining in that is they need to get younger, and it's not a high bar for a reshuffled Dline to perform at the level of most of the players that will walk. DQ is a problem, however, since there are few 1T in the draft worth looking at. I'm hoping they have enough, at least, for a veteran safety, as that is a buyer's market in FA.

Interested who you have your eyes on in the draft at 1T?

19 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

Interested who you have your eyes on in the draft at 1T?

Seems to me there are a fair number of 3T candidates that you can find at every level of the draft, but not many that obviously fill the role that would best compliment Oliver. I like T'Vondre Sweat if he falls to 60, but that is unlikely. Another big DL I see out there that pops is Darius Robinson out of Mizzou. They lined him up on the edge a lot, but he can play the interior and pressure. I'm an UGA fan, and that Missouri team was really competitive.

Both of those guys are probably early to mid 2nd rounders at the moment. Who knows where it will all end up after the combine and free agency, but it doesn't look like a deep draft for what we particularly need.

Edited by Dr. Who

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Seems to me there are a fair number of 3T candidates that you can find at every level of the draft, but not many that obviously fill the role that would best compliment Oliver. I like T'Vondre Sweat if he falls to 60, but that is unlikely. Another big DL I see out there that pops is Darius Robinson out of Mizzou. They lined him up on the edge a lot, but he can play the interior and pressure. I'm a UGA fan, and that Missouri team was really competitive.

I think they are going to have to have done something prior to the draft … either signed DQ again or someone else on FA to be the starter …too big a risk to hope someone falls to you in the draft … particularly at the end of the second round … 

i like Sweat but not as the main man in his rookie year … as Gunner said … run to the podium and take him at 60… I think he will be gone at the top of the second  though 

7 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think they are going to have to have done something prior to the draft … either signed DQ again or someone else on FA to be the starter …too big a risk to hope someone falls to you in the draft … particularly at the end of the second round … 

i like Sweat but not as the main man in his rookie year … as Gunner said … run to the podium and take him at 60… I think he will be gone at the top of the second  though 

I hope they resign DQ. I've watched more SEC football than other college games. Another fella you could grab later as a rotation player to throw into the mix is Jordan Jefferson out of LSU. Not sure when he is likely to go, but day 3.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/4/2024 at 11:34 AM, LEBills said:

I'm just not as big on Tez like a lot of people are, nothing he does wows me. Polk for me is just his all encompassing skill set.

Rice is a late rise for me, he showed out at senior bowl week and it was something that I have to watch again

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.