The last 5 years of Bills football

C.Biscuit97

1 hour ago, JohninMinn. said:

Imagine attending and losing 4 Super Bowls in a row.

Just before my time as a football fan. I started watching the NFL the year of the hockey strike in the 90s so a year or two removed from the Super Bowl years. 

Yes, that wound is worse than where we are. And though I wasn't a fan through it, I obviously know of it and it adds to the weight of my expectations. 

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Our defense sucks in the playoffs and can't get beyond Mahomes or Burrow.  Even a 16-0 lead against DeCreep Watson couldn't stand up. 

It’s part coaching but our best players just duck and hide in the playoffs. Not sure what to make of it. Does the tightness from McDermott trickle down to the defense?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Bengals have elite weapons. Hopefully that changes. Their DC has shown an ability to slow down Allen and Mahomes. 

Chiefs definitely have better coaching, probably the best in the league. The Bills are close to beating them. Not sure how they get over the hump. You’re not going to find better coaches than KC has.

Just have to keep going. I know fans hate hearing it but they’re close.

Tampa and New England had it, Cincinnati currently has it, Chargers are going to have it, Denver, houston, Jax might all have it, Baltimore might or might not have it, we'll know more today.

What a loser mentality people have to think the only way Buffalo can win is if these teams lessen themselves or coaches retire, really!  

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Below are some of the raw stats of the rankings noted in the OP. Not a shock to anyone, our biggest factor in not having been able to get over the hump in any of the last 5 seasons has been the defense failing to live up to regular season performance standard. 

Key:

Red = Poor performing difference greater than 3.0

Green= Positive performing difference greater than 3.0

Blue= Nuetral perfomring difference between +/- 3.0 (with the exception of 3rd down percentage, see note under 3rd down percentage)

Defensive PPG:

Year Reg. Season Def. PPG Post Season Elimination Game Difference
2019 16.2 22 +5.8
2020 23.4 38 +14.6
2021 17 42 +25
2022 17.9 27 +9.1
2023 18.3 27 +8.7

Offensive PPG:

Year Offensive PPG Reg. Season Elimination Game Difference
2019 19.6 19 -.6
2020 31.3 24 -7.3
2021 28.4 36 +7.6
2022 28.4 10 -18.4
2023 26.5 24 -2.5

Defensive 1st Downs Per Game Given Up:

Year OPP. Reg. Season 1st Down Per Game Elimination Game Difference
2019 18.4 19 +0.6
2020 21.9 29 +7.1
2021 16.7 30 +13.3
2022 19.6 30 +10.4
2023 18.4 21 +2.6

Offensive 1st Downs Per Game Gained:

Year Reg. Season 1st Down Per Game Elimination Game Difference
2019 19.6 24 +4.4
2020 24.8 24 -0.8

23 -0.4
2022 22.9 19 -3.9
2023 22.4 27 +4.6

Defensive Opponent 3rd Down Percentage:

Year OPP Reg. Season 3rd % Elimination Game Difference**
2019 35.8% 46.2% +10.4%
2020 39.8% 60% +20.2%
2021 30.8% 61.5% +30.7%
2022 37.5% 60% +22.5%
2023 38.6% 20% * -18.6%*

*KC only faced 5 third downs all game, going 1-5 on third down attempts. They had an explosive offense in this game.

Offensive 3rd Down Percentage:

Year Reg. Season 3rd % Elimination Game Difference**
2019 35.8% 52.4% +16.6%
2020 49.7% 35.7% -14.0%
2021 46.4% 42.9% -3.5%
2022 50.3% 41.7% -8.6%
2023 49.8% 50% +0.2%

**Here, a neutral difference is anything between +/- 10%. There is greater variance in a stat like 3rd down percentage in a single game, so I believe it makes sense in this case to allow for a larger span for neutral performance. 

Simple tally of the above:

Defense: 1 Green, 12 Red, 2 Blue

Offense: 4 Green, 4 Red, 7 Blue

That seems like a lot of work to compare stats in games when the Bills were 0-5 to games where they were 58-24.  That's the definition of cherry picking, so of course the conclusion is that the team's stats worse than average when you only look at their losses.

I like McDermott but I don't think we get a ring with him unless we get lucky.  He's a decent D coordinator and a fantastic secondary coach.  

The heroes are Beane and Allen.  I'd add Pegula as the 3rd most important piece.  He's allowed Beane to spend at levels we've never seen in Buffalo. 

McDermott had a nice message for a Tyrod team that wasn't all that bad - led them to a 9-7 wild card season. However they were 7-9, 8-8 and 9-7 the years prior.  Sean benefited from breaking the drought. Then Beane got him Allen.

He's not all that great of a HC.

10 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

2020 - bad defense

2021 - bad defense 

2022 - bad defense and offense 

2023 - injuries on defense leading to bad defense, not enough at WR, unreliable kicker.

Please remember me what our coach is specialized at ?

You know what? I'm not done.  

McD wanted Peterman to lead this team.  Not like man I'm having to work with what I have. No he evaluated Peterman as the best QB.

It seems our fanbase is hesitant because we could end up with someone worse than McD but IMO, Beane and Allen would prosper without him regardless.  I believe McD is the one being carried.  

The opportunity we have with Allen is special because he is. It's such a disservice to us and him what we've done with coaching offensively and game time.  

McD is benefiting from a loyal/appreciative owner, a QB that doesn't throw coaches or players under the bus and one of the leagues best GM's.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Billl said:

That seems like a lot of work to compare stats in games when the Bills were 0-5 to games where they were 58-24.  That's the definition of cherry picking, so of course the conclusion is that the team's stats worse than average when you only look at their losses.

Well actually it shows one side of the ball is clearly worse. Which was the point of the exercise from my perspective. 

Why have the Bills not advanced to the Super Bowl at least once over the last five years? Because the defense greatly under performs too often. The offense pretty much hits its regular season averages more or less. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LarryMadman said:

Tampa and New England had it, Cincinnati currently has it, Chargers are going to have it, Denver, houston, Jax might all have it, Baltimore might or might not have it, we'll know more today.

What a loser mentality people have to think the only way Buffalo can win is if these teams lessen themselves or coaches retire, really!  

You’re creating a loser mentality in your head. The Bills are one of the best teams in the NFL. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 1/27/2024 at 11:42 AM, C.Biscuit97 said:

How did we not make a Super Bowl: 

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-total-nfl-wins-last-5-years

- second in wins

- 5th in points/ game

- 1st in points allowed/ game 

- 3rd in first downs 

- 2nd in 3rd down conversion %

honestly, I have absolutely loved this ride. To have an amazing qb where playoffs are a given every year is such an amazing feeling. But man, a team with that resume should have made more than one championship game. 😢 

just wanted to bum everyone out on a Saturday morning. 

Our D quickly goes from #1 in points to 31

On 1/27/2024 at 11:45 AM, Nephilim17 said:

You got it. We've been a very good team with a great QB that's very good in the regular season but not great in clutch playoff games.

Yes, it beats the drought years, but the funny thing with expectations is the higher you set them the more disappointing it is not to make them.

So, in a weird way losing in the playoffs hurts a lot more than not making them.

Our quarterback is the 5th highest rated passer in nfl post season history...it's absolutely hilarious when anyone tries to label allen as a reason how we haven't made a superbowl...absolutely comical 

4 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Our D quickly goes from #1 in points to 31

As soon as they face top teams 

Edited by Billever76
  • Like (+1) 2

On 1/27/2024 at 1:59 PM, Since1981 said:

McD is not a top 15 HC. 

Look at what’s happening with HCs (Harbaugh, Billacheat). Put it this way, if McD were on his sofa, would he get a new HC gig? I don’t think so. Fine DC, Ops Mgr but bad O, OC, game Mgr. 

it will be tough to overcome the final 8 with McD

I mean all these numbers would point to him being closer to a top 5 coach. And he’s dealt with a lot of changes in coaches and personnel. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.