Sunday’s Loss Was Just a Replay of the Win in KC

The win in KC.  14 - 7 at the half. Yards in favor of Bills 226 - 176.  Bills dominate first half and could have come close to closing it out if not for a careless INT by Josh near the end of the half.  

Second half.  Chiefs D completely throttles Bills’ O and Chiefs outscore Bills 10 - 6, win yardage by 170 - 101.  Of course, Toney penalty wiped out additional Chiefs’ TD.  Not saying Bills were fortunate to win.  It was a tough, close game but Bills clearly outplayed in the second half.

Sunday.  Bills lead at half 17 - 13.  Lead in yards 234 - 164.  Second half, outscored 14 - 7, outgained 197 - 134.  Again, tough, close game that could have gone either way.  I firmly believe Bills win but for the injuries on D.  Nevertheless, the drastic drop off on the offensive side of the ball in the second half of both games is stunning.  

Chiefs made adjustments, Bills didn’t.  If they played five more times, I see it happening over and over.  Yeah, it’s the coaching.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

The win in KC.  14 - 7 at the half. Yards in favor of Bills 226 - 176.  Bills dominate first half and could have come close to closing it out if not for a careless INT by Josh near the end of the half.  

Second half.  Chiefs D completely throttles Bills’ O and Chiefs outscore Bills 10 - 6, win yardage by 170 - 101.  Of course, Toney penalty wiped out additional Chiefs’ TD.  Not saying Bills were fortunate to win.  It was a tough, close game but Bills clearly outplayed in the second half.

Sunday.  Bills lead at half 17 - 13.  Lead in yards 234 - 164.  Second half, outscored 14 - 7, outgained 197 - 134.  Again, tough, close game that could have gone either way.  I firmly believe Bills win but for the injuries on D.  Nevertheless, the drastic drop off on the offensive side of the ball in the second half of both games is stunning.  

Chiefs made adjustments, Bills didn’t.  If they played five more times, I see it happening over and over.  Yeah, it’s the coaching.

Well no one thinks that McD is on Andy Reid’s level so why even bother with a comparison.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

What surprised me the most was how effectively the Chiefs loaded up the box and stopped our running game, on first down especially. We stopped getting 7 to 8 yards on first down and instead got 1-2 yards. The easy answer would seem to have been to throw the ball more, but given :

a) the fact we needed to control the clock to protect our defense

b) Our receiving corps was inconsistent with drops

c) we had , as usual, a terrible screen game 

that we were going to keep running into 9 and 10 man boxes. Hindsight is 20/20, but Brady and McDermott should've adjusted to the fact the Oline was increasingly losing battles as the game wore on. Even the 4th and short plays were getting less push and Josh was barely making 1st downs that he easily made in the 1st half.

They dared us to pass, and we proved that while we are a much improved running team, we are not a team that can run effectively when the D commits to taking away your running game.

22 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I guess my point is that we shouldn’t be that quick to retain Brady as OC.  The second half of both games was a failure of halftime adjustments and play calling.  Let’s at least see if we can do better.

I can’t get behind the “no adjustments” narrative. Isn’t it mostly execution? Josh drops two deep dimes into his receivers hands and they can’t catch them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Basically over the course of the last 7 games, the score is essentially even. That's a lot of games to not have any separation between the two teams...comes down to a play here or there by either team really in most of the games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I guess my point is that we shouldn’t be that quick to retain Brady as OC.  The second half of both games was a failure of halftime adjustments and play calling.  Let’s at least see if we can do better.

Right, I think a lot of people are advocating to bring Brady back just because he was an upgrade over Dorsey. That doesn't mean he's actually the best candidate out there. Both things can be true. 

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

He's better than Dorsey of course but obviously still learning his game. I would love to see an offensive guru come in here and work with Josh. The results would be amazing.

Their receivers came through in a victory, ours dropped 120 yards and a touchdown. I’d hire Brady as my head coach tomorrow if he interviewed well or  Eric Bienemy. Don’t get me started on Coach 13. Since 13 isnt going anywhere, we need a brand new set of wideouts. Move on from Diggs, he is old and expensive. The market will not be robust for Davis, he might be affordable. Draft two and add an FA and Bob’s your uncle. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Brady’s inability to counter Spags in both games may have cost him his job. 

So who gets the blame for that 2nd and 9 play though?  Brady?

The Bills drive that started with 8 mins left was nearly a masterpiece.

They had used 6 minutes of clock by the time they got down to the Chiefs 27(!) despite not having an effective run game.

We get there by chipping away, 5-10 yards at a time.

Then suddenly, it is 2nd and 9, with just under 2 minutes left to play, surely we want to burn a little more clock; there is no need to rush things yet, and the play call renders Diggs WIDE OPEN running across the middle of the field, but Allen chose another option.

So... if Allen makes that throw, we are potentially saying what a great final drive Brady had drawn up, right?  Play calls?  Or execution?  It's always a delicate issue.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Ballhawk said:

What surprised me the most was how effectively the Chiefs loaded up the box and stopped our running game, on first down especially. We stopped getting 7 to 8 yards on first down and instead got 1-2 yards. The easy answer would seem to have been to throw the ball more, but given :

a) the fact we needed to control the clock to protect our defense

b) Our receiving corps was inconsistent with drops

c) we had , as usual, a terrible screen game 

that we were going to keep running into 9 and 10 man boxes. Hindsight is 20/20, but Brady and McDermott should've adjusted to the fact the Oline was increasingly losing battles as the game wore on. Even the 4th and short plays were getting less push and Josh was barely making 1st downs that he easily made in the 1st half.

They dared us to pass, and we proved that while we are a much improved running team, we are not a team that can run effectively when the D commits to taking away your running game.

I don’t understand why we don’t use Cook more on screens and dump offs as he is clearly our best player in space. Yet we can throw a million WR screens that are painful to watch.

5 hours ago, Livinginthepast said:

He's better than Dorsey of course but obviously still learning his game. I would love to see an offensive guru come in here and work with Josh. The results would be amazing.

No offensive guru is working with McD

This is the biggest reason I don't understand why people want to keep Mcdermott. I like the guy, think he is a good leader, but he and/or the coordinators consistently get outcoached.

The margins between the Superbowl Caliber teams is so small, and IMO the teams that consistently win are the ones with leaders who can make the best adjustments in the 2nd half and/or in real time the lead to wins in close games. We have come up on the short end of that stick and it's the biggest reason we don't have a super bowl(s) in the last few years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.