Josh officially a finalist for MVP

Roundybout

2 hours ago, 2003Contenders said:

I guess my biggest misgiving about Lamar is that his unique talents require that a specific offense be in place to make the best use of those talents -- in terms of scheme, supporting cast, etc. Meanwhile, Josh and Mahomes both transcend any such limitations. You could literally plug either of them into any offense and be set.

He's on his 2nd or 3rd offensive scheme since entering the NFL and is about to win two MVPs under two different systems.

2 hours ago, julian said:

Because TDs are all equally 6 points and advantageous to winning in a significant way, INTs in the other hand are not all equal and in Allen’s case specifically his INTs tend to not be of the back breaking variety 

I agree with this, and had a thought as to how to view this mathematically. Let’s say we use a “point system” where every TD is worth 6 and INTs are worth -6. I know it’s grossly exaggerated, but give me a moment to elaborate the value here:

Lamar had 28 TDs, and that would be +168 points gained, with 13 T/O’s equaling -78. A net gain of +90.

Allen had 44 TDs, good for +264, and 22 T/O’s for -132, which gives a +132 for JA17.

Stroud had 23 TDs +138 and 9 T/O’s, for a gain for +84.

Purdy: 31 TDs, +186, T/O’s 13 is -78 for a gain of +108

So, this obviously only works for QB’s, but JA blew the others out of the water for how much he contributed points-wise vs the others. Yeah, turnovers suck, but this should show how much value he had at his position and how important he was to winning those games.

I’m not saying Josh should win it, but I’m saying the Turnover argument is not strong in my opinion if you’re the one scoring so many of the points 

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BRH said:

And Lamar is, which is the biggest joke.

I figured it was mostly skill position players, which it probably is, but really Lamar is on the list for OPY, I can't even fathom how they figured that made sense. Like MVP you roll your eyes and figure it's QB and his teams record so they just pretended he led them to it but you'd think OPY would require actual offense.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I agree with this, and had a thought as to how to view this mathematically. Let’s say we use a “point system” where every TD is worth 6 and INTs are worth -6. I know it’s grossly exaggerated, but give me a moment to elaborate the value here:

Lamar had 28 TDs, and that would be +168 points gained, with 13 T/O’s equaling -78. A net gain of +90.

Allen had 44 TDs, good for +264, and 22 T/O’s for -132, which gives a +132 for JA17.

So, this obviously only works for QB’s, but JA blew the others out of the water for how much he contributed points-wise vs the others. Yeah, turnovers suck, but this should show how much value he had at his position and how important he was to winning those games.

I’m not saying Josh should win it, but I’m saying the Turnover argument is not strong in my opinion if you’re they one scoring so many of the points 

Well done, matches what I’m seeing with my eyes and seems to be aligned with common sense.

44 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I’m not saying Josh should win it, but I’m saying the Turnover argument is not strong in my opinion if you’re they one scoring so many of the points 

So a counter-argument to Allen's touchdowns. How many of those 44 are rushing from a goal line or near goal line situation? Sure, a touchdown from one yard is worth as much as a touchdown from 20 yards, but how many teams would just send a bruising back to get that same goal line touchdown?

Josh had way more rushing TDs this year, but his rushing overall was down compared to the last couple of years.

1 minute ago, WNYFAN1 said:

So a counter-argument to Allen's touchdowns. How many of those 44 are rushing from a goal line or near goal line situation? Sure, a touchdown from one yard is worth as much as a touchdown from 20 yards, but how many teams would just send a bruising back to get that same goal line touchdown?

Josh had way more rushing TDs this year, but his rushing overall was down compared to the last couple of years.

How many should you care ?  It’s football he was a machine inside there - THE MOST VALUABLE PLAYER - when trying to score ?

your prove the point he is unstoppable inside the redzone and should be the mvp 

16 minutes ago, WNYFAN1 said:

Somebody did the math and it really wasn't that many, he runs from further away more than people think, either way take away all of Josh's rushing TDs and he still has as many passing TDs as Lamar had total TDs in the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Matt_In_NH said:

What happens when someone intercepts his pass?

1 hour ago, KingBoots8 said:

Lamar will prob win it because of timing and the buzz that was surrounding the Ravens at the end of the season (when votes were cast).  But watching the Ravens game yesterday, no doubt in my mind Ravens would have won if Allen was their QB.  Unfortunately, I’m not sure the voters think so clearly on such matters.

5 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Prepare to be disappointed because he's not even on the short list for OPY. 

Yet he lead the league in TDs and tied for most ever rushing TDs by a QB in a season. Not being in the top 2 with CMC makes no freaking sense.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.