Nyheim Hines will not be a cap casualty for FA (Edit: Wrong)

Among most, if not all, posts talking about freeing up cap space - Nyheim Hines being released is mentioned. 

And in a vacuum, it seems like a no brainer type of move. But it appears it's not going to happen.

I've touched on this in other posts a bit before but there's factors at play here. When the injury occured, his agent started speaking up about filing a grievance if he wasn't taken care of. Then it all went away.

Beane and he came to an agreement. Hines would keep a portion of his money and not be released and in turn, most of his money for last season would come off the books - freeing up some cap space for last year and Hines and his people wouldn't file a grievance.

I've been almost positive part of that agreement was he wouldn't be cut and given every opportunity to reclaim his job. Hines has said that he's going to be a Bill this year:

“They treated me right at the end of the day and they took care of it and I’m a member of the Buffalo Bills and I look forward to coming back there next year and earning the right to win.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/bills/news/buffalo-bills-nyheim-hines-injury-rehab-jet-ski-accident

Yesterday at Beane's Year End Presser - he confirmed it. Nyheim Hines will not be an offseason cap casualty:

Beane: Nyheim is still, he had that surgery (in) early August, so he's still working on his rehab and I don't have a timeline to say (when) he's going to be cleared. But, ya know, I would see him being cleared by Training Camp. I'm not a doctor and I haven't gotten that clarity but just knowing when he did it - I don't know what his participation will be like in OTA's yet.

Sal: But you would see him as part of the team going forward?

Beane: Yes

(56:49 - 57:22)

I'm not a capologist, so I don't know if there's any massaging that can be done to his contract to create some relief somewhere. But it's pretty clear that unless he is completely physically unable to perform, Nyheim Hines will be one of our RB's behind James Cook.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Its one thing to bring him back, its another thing to survive cuts end of preseason.  

This is true. They could still cut him after Pre-Season if he's lost a step or is flat out beaten out.

But he won't be a cap casualty during the FA process, as many have expected.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Just don’t lose Ty Johnson

I really liked him this year! I think he's a perfect change of pace back to go with Cook.  Please keep him Beane 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

He should be.  If he's released they save 5 million against the cap.  He only has a 500k dead cap hit if released.

In a vacuum, given our cap situation, yes. But if he was told he'll be coming to Camp in exchange for not filing a grievance and saving us some cap space last year - Beane can't go back on his word. That would be terrible for his reputation amongst the locker room and FA's going forward.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

• BillsFanForever19 changed the title to Nyheim Hines will not be a cap casualty for FA
3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

In a vacuum, giving our cap situation, yes. But if he was told he'll be coming to Camp in exchange for not filing a grievance and saving us some cap space last year - Beane can't go back on his word. That would be terrible for his reputation amongst the locker room and FA's going forward.

They were really all-in on this year, this wouldn't surprise me

• Like (+1) 1

Overrated player coming off ACL injury. I'm not sure he would even made the team healthy last year, let alone next year coming off an ACL. Goodbye.

They have 10 draft picks. they can use one of them on a very late round, running back or sign a street free agent that can do just as much as Hines can do for far less money.

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 2

1 minute ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Overrated player coming off ACL injury. I'm not sure he would even made the team healthy last year, let alone next year coming off an ACL. Goodbye.

He was ok on special teams when they bought him in midway through 2022 … we dont know how he would go on O because they never gave him a chance …just another player they didn’t trust because he “hadn’t learnt the system “..

15 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

He was ok on special teams when they bought him in midway through 2022 … we dont know how he would go on O because they never gave him a chance …just another player they didn’t trust because he “hadn’t learnt the system “..

Yes...just OK. Those 2 kickoff returns for TDs are just regular plays the Bills make on a week in week out basis.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They have 10 draft picks. they can use one of them on a very late round, running back or sign a street free agent that can do just as much as Hines can do for far less money.

That may or may not be true. But it doesn't change the fact that he will not be told "goodbye".

And he absolutely would have made the squad last year. We wouldn't have signed Damien Harris or Latavius Murray if he were on the roster.

We gave up a pick and a player for him and said before the injury he was being brought on slow in 2022 because he was just learning the playbook and that they had big plans for him.

Perhaps he'll take a pay cut or there's a way they can restructure it to create space. But pre injury, he was one of the better pass catching RB's in the league and a top returner with rare speed for a RB. Those are valued traits you can't just find anywhere.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, Xwnyer said:

Hopefully our OC a would figure out how to utilize him in the offense.

He had to deal exclusively with Dorsey .. who seemed to have some trust issues  as witnessed since his departure 

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Yes...just OK. Those 2 kickoff returns for TDs are just regular plays the Bills make on a week in week out basis.

I would definitely have him back returning kicks and punts if he is back to that 2022 form 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.