The Three Plays that Cost us the Game

VaMilBill

42 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

It's the wrong play. The clock is more important than the TD here. If you score on that play you give Mahomes the ball back with 1:55 left and 2 TOs. 

The pass to Diggs was it. You take the easy first and keep burning clock. You need KC to burn both their TOs and have about a minute left. Allen is the best when he takes what the defense gives him and that was the right play.... not the long TD. 

You do not, not pass to a wide open receiver in the endzone. You are assuming we could do both there, use clock and score.

44 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

It's the wrong play. The clock is more important than the TD here. If you score on that play you give Mahomes the ball back with 1:55 left and 2 TOs. 

The pass to Diggs was it. You take the easy first and keep burning clock. You need KC to burn both their TOs and have about a minute left. Allen is the best when he takes what the defense gives him and that was the right play.... not the long TD. 

It would have been incomplete to Diggs just as much as it was incomplete to Shakir because he was hit as he threw the ball. Wtf are you babbling about.

54 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Taking multiple deep shots and bypassing chain moving completions is on Josh 

He three 3 perfect deep passes.  Sherfield let the first one hit his left bicep, and the second one he could not secure, but should have.  And the one to Diggs went right through his hands.  Other than Shakir, none of our WR's made a contested catch all season.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Arnold said:

It would have been incomplete to Diggs just as much as it was incomplete to Shakir because he was hit as he threw the ball. Wtf are you babbling about.

He could have thrown it to Diggs sooner, rather than having to wait for Shakir’s route to develop.

Of course, Diggs may have dropped it.

• Like (+1) 1

I will say Josh should've hit Diggs on the cross. It definitely would've been a 1st down and it would've milked more clock. But Shakir was open and Josh got hit at release.  Woulda...coulda...shoulda.  We lost because of huge drops by Cook, Sherfield and Diggs. We lost because Brady choose to ignore play action.  And McD's fake punt was pure stupidity. 

Bottom line is we had way too many injuries to go deep anyway this season. It wasn't ever happening.  KC will get dismantled in Baltimore. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Diggs dropping that bomb. We end of punting in that drive. No points scored. We probably (maybe?) get at least three there if caught. 

Earlier in the day, Mike Evans showed America why he's a first-ballot Hall of Famer by making amazing catches all game.

Later that night, Stefon Diggs showed America why he's not a Hall of Famer by letting huge catches go throw his arms.

So sad.

• Like (+1) 1

Diggs fumble, drop, and no presser and he’s going to cost nearly $28M next year. 

Sheesh.

A couple plays here and there would have made the difference. But our high profile QB met the challenge and our WR didn’t.

This offense is become a group of role players, and that’s ok. If Stef is going to be more than that he can’t put the ball on the ground and drop passes that hit him in the chest on the biggest stage. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

He could have thrown it to Diggs sooner, rather than having to wait for Shakir’s route to develop.

Of course, Diggs may have dropped it.

Why has Diggs become our underneath guy anyways?  He used to blow by people or run 15-20 yard crossing patterns.  Now he is running mostly 5-7 yard turn ins and comebacks to the QB.  If Diggs is still an NFL receiver, (which is debatable) he has to be doing more then that.  Our route scheme w Joe Brady has been terrible.  Rarely is anyone even remotely open, let alone wide open.  And we go two thirds of the game without throwing to Kincaid.  And while I don't love Knox, we threw to him one time tonite.  That's ridiculous. 

2 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Why has Diggs become our underneath guy anyways?  He used to blow by people or run 15-20 yard crossing patterns.  Now he is running mostly 5-7 yard turn ins and comebacks to the QB.  If Diggs is still an NFL receiver, (which is debatable) he has to be doing more then that.  Our route scheme w Joe Brady has been terrible.  Rarely is anyone even remotely open, let alone wide open.  And we go two thirds of the game without throwing to Kincaid.  And while I don't love Knox, we threw to him one time tonite.  That's ridiculous. 

Brady's route scheme requires NFL receivers catching football that hit their hands and arms. That might be the issue.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rm -rf /* said:

My two main issues:

Cutting Haack and going into this game with a gimp punter.

The fake punt. 10 men or not, with that field position--assinine.  I felt like that was huge swing point of the game.

The fake punt didn’t end up swinging anything , as the Bills ended up with the ball after the KC fumble through the end zone . The Bills offense did nothing with the ensuing possession though. 

7 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Earlier in the day, Mike Evans showed America why he's a first-ballot Hall of Famer by making amazing catches all game.

Later that night, Stefon Diggs showed America why he's not a Hall of Famer by letting huge catches go throw his arms.

So sad.

Just an awful play by Diggs. 

1 hour ago, VaMilBill said:

Diggs dropping that bomb. We end of punting in that drive. No points scored. We probably (maybe?) get at least three there if caught. 

This is the one that kills me the most. Josh missing the crossing route to Diggs there on the last drive on 2nd and 9. If caught, Diggs definitely gets a first and probably goes down around the 10. It’s plays like these that made a Brady great cause he would see it, take the easy, high percentage, throw and keep the chains moving and the clock ticking. I honestly think at this point Josh will never get us over the hump because of either his inability to see plays like that or unwillingness to take the easy dump off even at crunch time. 

Bass missing the FG at the end. Statistically Bass has been one of the worst kickers this season. I’ve been harping about it since the beginning of December. McD simply never trusted him the second half of the season. Last week was a giant flashing sign saying “don’t trust bass!” that McD didn’t heed. Even his XPs tonight were barely eeking in between the uprights. Now I understand if we make that FG, the chiefs still have a lot of time and two TOs, but missing it guaranteed we would lose. 

Such a bad take on that 2nd and 9 play imo.  I am honestly shocked I keep seeing that posted .  You check it down to diggs there’s still pretty good odds kc keeps us out of the end zone.  Shakir was comically wide open for a td, Dawkins got backed into Josh at literally the last possible moment.  That was an easy pitch and catch td 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Brady's route scheme requires NFL receivers catching football that hit their hands and arms. That might be the issue.

I agree.  Our receivers outside of Shakir are brutal.  Sad about Diggs.  What has happened to the man?  But still his offensive play calling is oh so predictable.  

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It's the type of offense our coach wants,it's obvious now what the problem was between dabol and mcd. McDermott wanted a "complimentary" offense that can string together long clock chewing drives...dabol just wanted every drive to lead to tds whether it 10 play 6 minutes drives or 2 play 30 second drives

2 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

After the two minute break the play calling was wrong. Just keep,taking what they give and eat the clock

Yep. Why would we want to score quick if we could. Kc would just get the ball and march down.  

8 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I agree.  Our receivers outside of Shakir are brutal.  Sad about Diggs.  What has happened to the man?  But still his offensive play calling is oh so predictable.  

Yea brady while a good story can be upgraded. His style of offense seems more geared for a burrow,baker,tua pocket statues....

3 plays?

How about almost every play the Defense played tonight?  They were a turnstile and couldn't stop the running or passing game.

Who was making the call on D for the Bills?

Mahomes was hardly pressured all game.  Kelce, 2 TDs... Even Vadlez Scandling torched us twice I think.  AND we couldn't stop the running game when it mattered most...

Blame %

Defensive playcalling 25

Defensive players 25

Offensive playcalling and lack of imagination 25

Offensive players 12

Josh Allen 3%

Bass missing kick 10%

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.