So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

5 minutes ago, RkFast said:

I understand. I agree Im not sure if there is a plug and play guy out there. And thats my overall point. A LOT of the chatter thats been out there is that there is. New HC and done deal, they win it all. I dont see that, especially in this sport. Thats MUCH more of a baseball or basketball type of thing. In football, which is a much more complex sport to coach and manage a team, you need to build the whole PROGRAM. And that takes a lot of time. 

Agreed in general. But there is a pretty well known stat that no Head Coach has won their first Super Bowl outside of the first 5 years with his team. So there is a bit to that "new HC, win it all". Far more so than "7th year Head Coach finally gets his act together".

• Like (+1) 1

With having to have so much roster turn over this offseason due to contracts, age, and cap, now is the perfect time to bring in a new regime and let them build the way they want to.  In my opinion, it would be the softest reset that you could possibly ask for.  Do it Pegs!!

32 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Talk about dumb stuff? 

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense 4 plays 7 yards (fake punt)

27-24 - Defense causes fumble - touchback 

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense 3 plays -2 yards

27-24 - Defense forces Chiefs punt

27-24 - Josh Allen and offense drive down the field and come away with zero points

27-24 - Defense allows first down to end the game

But sure. The defense lost us the game.

So many opportunities for Josh to put this one away. He fell short. He will get back up and we will be in the thick of it next year.

Tuel rhymes with f_ _ l. I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who takes such a narrow view. Have a nice life.

Tell me the obvious coaching blunder that led directly to this loss? If Stef, Trent, the entire D-Line and/or Bass do their job, you're not posting this poll, period. I thought the gameplan was as sound as it could be given the walking wounded on our D. This is the one year we have to give McD a pass--unless he was going to be able to suit up himself for the D, he did what he could, imho. We do need to desperately address WR in the offseason fwiw.  

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The result of this one particular game was due to injuries on the defense.  I don't fault McDermott for it.

I do fault McDermott for losing a bunch of gimmies earlier in the season.  They ended up not mattering, but each of those losses was unacceptable and there were several of them, along with some close calls (Giants, Patriots).  I don't think McD can get us over the hump, and I'm ready for somebody new.  Obviously that isn't going to happen -- just stating where I am as a fan.

• Agree 1

The idea that there is a "story" out there, after the Tyler Dunne piece, that is still untold but would somehow be worse is intriguing and also infuriating. 

ESPECIALLY if Pegula knows about it. It's enough already. How many more years of Allen's career are we going to waste?

OR maybe it's another "he said, she said" thing that the team could explain away. 

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Kelce and outside zone to get the linebackers (including Mr Miami retirement home) running laterally.

This only worked because McDermott chose to start Klein. Like I said before the game it should have been Dodson and Williams. When Williams was on the field we made a couple stops. We needed someone that could run laterally. Huge error by McDermott. I know you aren't going to agree with that but surely you can see that Klein was picked on all night.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

It is reasonable for Terry to ask McD what his plans are to get the team over the hump.  

Just now, HappyDays said:

This only worked because McDermott chose to start Klein. Like I said before the game it should have been Dodson and Williams. When Williams was on the field we made a couple stops. We needed someone that could run laterally. Huge error by McDermott. I know you aren't going to agree with that but surely you can see that Klein was picked on all night.

Mahomes would make a rookie look silly too.

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

and Shakir is really only playing due to Gabe's injuries. And look: guy making plays all over the field. 

It's a pattern with McDermott. He wants the experienced vets over all else. I get it to a point, but we need athletes on the field. IMO Elam did fine when he played but he never gets to play. 

8 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

By your standards, every coach that did not advance their team to the conference championship should be fired.

This loss sucks.  I am as sick of losing to that punk Mahomes in the playoffs just like all of the Bills Mafia.  I just believe that McDermott is one of the best head coaches in our team's history.

It is absurd to call for the head coach to be fired after every loss.

What makes you think we will find a better coach if we do replace McDermott?

McDermott has us in the playoffs consistently.  The Bills are in the national spotlight.  And they are considered one of the top teams in the NFL each year.

You ignore all the successes McDermott has had with his time in Buffalo.

The Bills are not firing McDermott after this season.  With all the defensive injuries he has had to deal with, and beating several playoff teams during their 6 game winning streak.   This may be his best coaching season.

Also, name me a team that consistently beats the Chiefs in the playoffs?  There isn't one.  So why hold McDermott to an unrealistic standard?

Please accept that McDermott is not going anywhere.  He is not the problem.  

It's josh allen who has us on the cusp despite having a mid coach

• Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Tell me the obvious coaching blunder that led directly to this loss? If Stef, Trent and/or Bass do their job, you're not posting this poll, period. I thought the gameplan was as sound as it could be given the walking wounded on our D. This is the one year we have to give McD a pass--unless he was going to be able to suit up himself for the D, he did what he could, imho. We do need to desperately address WR in the offseason fwiw.  

Didnt we give him a pass last year because of Hamlin? Its always something until its nothing

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Mahomes would make a rookie look silly too.

But he didn't. Williams had two great plays. He stayed laterally with Mahomes to force him out of bounds at the LOS on the Chiefs last drive. That sideline to sideline speed made a difference there. He also had made a great play in coverage that the officials incorrectly called DPI on.

Maybe over the course of the game he would have been picked on too. But it's a huge playoff game against our nemesis. And McDermott, as usual, chose the safe comfortable option instead of shooting for the stars. Still waiting for that growth mindset to affect the guy preaching it.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 5

9 hours ago, Avisan said:

The Cover 2 shell came back into vogue because the current top QBs won't punish you for it.  The methodical ball control offense WORKS.  It wrecks the Cover 2 shell.  Slowly, but surely.  It worked all game.  We screwed ourselves on the final drive by gunning for the endzone instead.  If we had kept with that offense, we likely win the game.  Putting up 31 on that Chiefs D would have been an amazing feat, and that ball control offense would have done it.  We watched the Patriots pull it off year after year in that exact fashion, much to our despair.

Might as well trade allen if that's the box our coaches put him in...go get tua and run the two step drop and out offense 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

We went way to long with AJ chasing Kelce before we made any adjustment. Even given the injuries, McD said the D, starting with him, didn't do enough. He's correct of course.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Well, IF the report of a mystery team being interested in Belichick but not having an opening is true maybe Pegula would do that.

To be clear, I would rather have Harbaugh but we're stuck right now. With Allen McDermott will always win enough games that "you can't fire the coach!" 

Hmmmm........bring in Belichick as HC for a couple years and Vrabel as DC and he takes over as HC when Belichick steps down.......leave Brady and let him install is own offense...........i'm on board 1000000% with this plan.

• Agree 1

Just now, uticaclub said:

Didnt we give him a pass last year because of Hamlin? Its always something until its nothing

I think we all can agree we've been served up the scalps (Frazier/Dorsey) for last year's failings and this year's iffy start--now if McD can't do it with the guys that are supposed to be out there, I would agree he's at the end of the line. But I just can't throw it all at his feet given the reality of what was on the field--or did we really expect Klein to find the fountain of youth 2 weeks into a comeback gig, or Williams to suddenly be a cagey vet to go along with his speed? We only have to look at how our D was doing before Milano got hurt, to see what could've been. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

And why would you kick to tie it with 1:40 left? Mahomes only needed 13 ***** seconds to take the lead back. I rather have Allen to win or lose the game than Tyler Arse who has been incosistent. Again, sign of a feeble and moronic coaching by  McWimpy

Edited by Joe Ferguson
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

We went way to long with AJ chasing Kelce before we made any adjustment. Even given the injuries, McD said the D, starting with him, didn't do enough. He's correct of course.

I just don't understand why we waited. It was obvious before the game. Put your two best athletes Dodson and Williams on the field or else Mahomes is going to play around with Klein all game. Put Siran Neal on Kelce like we have done successfully in the past. When we did these things late in the game we found success. But what exactly was the defensive gameplan at the start? And why does this same crap keep happening year after year in the playoffs?

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.