So we're firing McD, right?

Heavy Kevi

Should the Bills Fire McDermott?  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Bills Fire McDermott?

• Yep. Too many bad losses and bad coaching in the playoffs
    • Heck No. Playoffs year after year, and we're one of the best teams on NFL

No way McDermott is fired. We went from 6-6 to AFCE champs and #2 seed, all after firing our OC. The defense was absolutely decimated by injuries. Healthy defense Bills beat the Chiefs no doubt. Question should be, will Brady be back. He did a good job, the running game improved. The passing game declined. Don’t feel he was utilizing Diggs correctly. Allen played better down the stretch, but I don’t think that was Brady’s doing. In an interview on McAfee, I think it was Morse who said that after they fell to 6-6 Mcdermott basically just cut the team lose and told them not to worry about mistakes and to just go out their and play. Morse said it took the pressure off the players. 

This told me that Allen was being held back until it was loose and over time. Which I get to an extent, they don’t want him to get hurt. But I don’t care anymore, just let Allen be him. We need to play with the heart that this team played with after we fell to 6-6 every damn game. Hopefully Mcdermott learned from that and doesn’t hold these guys back again. 

The focus now needs to be, get the best option for OC in here. Get a legit deep threat. Improve the pass rush and get our Poyer and Hyde replacements. 

The biggest falsehood is the fact that people will relate Brady vs Manning as Mahomes vs Allen so the narrative is we are just waiting for Allen to break through like Manning did.

But it wasn’t just Brady vs Manning.  It was Belicheck vs Dungy.  And sadly Reid vs McDermott is an unfair fight.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Chugga said:

And sadly Reid vs McDermott is an unfair fight.

Do you think that is what they said in Philly about Andy Reid?  Do you think thought Reid was the best coach in the NFL when they ran him out of town like the poeple here are attempting to do with McD?

It’s never his fault is it? No answers to 13 seconds or Cincinnati. Frazier was maybe fired? Or he left? Or he took money to not be DC? Everyone was just hurt so we couldn’t play defense for 3 1/2 quarters? He even said himself that he thought a fake freaking punt would keep his crappy D off the field! THAT is what you want again? More non-answers? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, benderbender said:

It’s never his fault is it? No answers to 13 seconds or Cincinnati. Frazier was maybe fired? Or he left? Or he took money to not be DC? Everyone was just hurt so we couldn’t play defense for 3 1/2 quarters? He even said himself that he thought a fake freaking punt would keep his crappy D off the field! THAT is what you want again? More non-answers? 

The defensive guru didn’t want his defense on the field.

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

Do you think that is what they said in Philly about Andy Reid?  Do you think thought Reid was the best coach in the NFL when they ran him out of town like the poeple here are attempting to do with McD?

Andy wasn’t the best coach in the NFL when they fired him.  He was stagnant and had hit his ceiling in Philly.  So yes I’m sure it’s exactly what they said.  They got rid of him and won a Super Bowl.

5 minutes ago, Bill51390 said:

No way McDermott is fired. We went from 6-6 to AFCE champs and #2 seed, all after firing our OC. The defense was absolutely decimated by injuries. Healthy defense Bills beat the Chiefs no doubt. Question should be, will Brady be back. He did a good job, the running game improved. The passing game declined. Don’t feel he was utilizing Diggs correctly. Allen played better down the stretch, but I don’t think that was Brady’s doing. In an interview on McAfee, I think it was Morse who said that after they fell to 6-6 Mcdermott basically just cut the team lose and told them not to worry about mistakes and to just go out their and play. Morse said it took the pressure off the players. 

This told me that Allen was being held back until it was loose and over time. Which I get to an extent, they don’t want him to get hurt. But I don’t care anymore, just let Allen be him. We need to play with the heart that this team played with after we fell to 6-6 every damn game. Hopefully Mcdermott learned from that and doesn’t hold these guys back again. 

The focus now needs to be, get the best option for OC in here. Get a legit deep threat. Improve the pass rush and get our Poyer and Hyde replacements. 

I am not handing Brady the job before at least bringing in other candidates for an interview. Blame the personnel but the passing offense has progressively gotten worse since the bye week last season.

3 minutes ago, Chugga said:

Andy wasn’t the best coach in the NFL when they fired him.  He was stagnant and had hit his ceiling in Philly.  So yes I’m sure it’s exactly what they said.  They got rid of him and won a Super Bowl.

5 years and two coaches later.

Edited by GASabresIUFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, GASabresIUFan said:

5 years later.

Lol you literally used the worst argument you could have.  Andy Reid was a fantastic coach he did a lot to turn around the Eagles and was light years ahead of McDermott as the Eagles were a staple of the NFC championship game.  But he became stagnant.  His approach wasn’t working, he was losing grip of the team and he was deservingly fired.

They then WON THE SUPERBOWL.

Ask any Philly fan if they think they made the right decision.

I can’t take him anymore. 

There’s always an excuse..

-Second half collapse against Houston but we weren’t ready

-AFC CG no show against KC but we weren’t ready

-Damar Hamlin/Mental Exhaustion last year 

-No one has a clue what happened in 13 seconds but apparently he’ll never speak in depth on it, ever

-Absolute no show tonight but injuries 

So apparently, for this defense to perform in big moments, with a defensive HC, they need to be in a good mental head space and completely healthy.  

Then, maybe, we can see what he can do in a big moment.

They say you need luck and/or bounces.  Yet NE dominated the AFC and now its KC… just lucky all the time, I guess. 

Or maybe Spags adjusted, with injuries as well, and took away our RB run game, forcing Allen to rely on Sherfield and whoever this guy that body snatched Diggs this year is. 

….because winning teams have winning coaches. 

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Chugga said:

Lol you literally used the worst argument you could have.  Andy Reid was a fantastic coach he did a lot to turn around the Eagles and was light years ahead of McDermott as the Eagles were a staple of the NFC championship game.  But he became stagnant.  His approach wasn’t working, he was losing grip of the team and he was deservingly fired.

They then WON THE SUPERBOWL.

Ask any Philly fan if they think they made the right decision.

They didn't go right from Reid to Pederson. They had two years of Chip Kelly in between.

Defense got the stops we needed to win the game.

Offense couldn't execute when it counted in the last two minutes.  The plays were there to be made, and the players didn't make them.

I was stressed on the final drive, as were we all, but the strategy was sound.  It almost worked.  It SHOULD have worked.  Take Diggs underneath on 2nd and 9, choke KC to death with no time left on the clock for the reprisal TD.  It was his best option, and I wish Allen had taken it.  If you take the 30-yard shot there, it needs to be perfect.  He just needed to get the ball in the neighborhood of Diggs, and that's a first down with the clock still running.

Brady understood this.  Manning understood this.  The old guard has commented on the current crop of QBs looking for the big highlight plays and not taking what's there for them to take.  It continues to hold true.

I don't blame the loss on Allen.  He played a hell of a game.  There were plenty of things that could have gone differently to make the last few minutes of the game play out differently.  That was his moment to keep slowly driving the dagger in, though, and he went for the quick strike that would leave Patrick Mahomes 1:55 on the clock with 2 TOs and 4-down territory the whole way down the field.  Brady or Manning take Diggs on the crosser, there.  I wish Allen could do the same.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.