Josh Allen: The Correct Choice for NFL MVP

MJS

Just now, DCOrange said:

How does he have the 4th most INTs if there are 6 QBs that had more INTs? That's not how math works.

He had the 4th highest total.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

Being bad and causing losses are two different things.

Brocos game was LOST due to special teams having 12 men.  Allen played poorly, but gave his team the lead

jets game Allen LOST because he played poorly AND caused a 3 and out AND caused a direct turnover with his inability to handle a snap which allowed the Jets to take the lead

mahomes caused a loss because he threw a very poor pick six and handoff fumble and couldn’t manage his team down the field in any capacity.

Broncos game was more of a team loss with a special teams disaster.  To me that’s not a loss ON Allen

Nonsense.

Allen's turnovers did a hell of a lot more to lose the Broncos game than the (admittedly stupid and unbelievably frustrating) 12 men on the field penalty. They lost six points directly from the two INTs.

And that's ignoring the rest of his not very good game.

The first INT, they were on the Broncos 28. That's 3 lost points, minimum.

The second INT, the Broncos got the ball on the Bills 31 and hit a field goal.

That's a six point turnaround minimum, and the Bills lost by two. The stupid 12 men penalty would never have happened, as the Broncos would have needed eight points to tie and would have been forced to go for a TD.

Allen was a major factor.

Even larger in the Jets game, yes. But really big in both.

There's about 5 players in the league who are MVPs. Remove them from their team, the team crumbles. Two of them are on defense (Garrett, Watt), and the others are McCaffrey, Josh Allen, & Mahomes.

But yeah, Lamar will win it. What a joke.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Punch said:

He had the 4th highest total.

Yeah, see how you have to desperately twist words to attempt but fail to make your point?

If two guys tie for first, you don't say the next guy finished 2nd.

He didn't have the 4th highest 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, DrBob806 said:

There's about 5 players in the league who are MVPs. Remove them from their team, the team crumbles. Two of them are on defense (Garrett, Watt), and the others are McCaffrey, Josh Allen, & Mahomes.

But yeah, Lamar will win it. What a joke.

Ravens could definitely be a playoff team with Tyler Huntley under center … that alone takes him (LJ) out of MVP consideration. 

Edited by AlCowlingsTaxiService
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3

44 minutes ago, Punch said:

The graphic says 'T-4th' for Mahomes, you can choose to not interpret that as the 4th most interceptions and die on this hill I guess. There is a mistake with Brady, it says 'T-3rd' onscreen but he specifically says top 5.

I hope you enjoy your Sunday yelling at the internet about technicalities while we watch Bills-Chiefs.

Oh, it's me yelling at the internet? You, you're just watching the game ... except you're not, you're yelling at me while accusing me of yelling.

The difference between us being you're wrong.

It doesn't say "Mahomes's number of INTs T-4".  Your idea is pathetic. It says "Mahomes T-4." 

Meaning Mahomes tied for 4th. And he did not.

Folks, these are the INT numbers Punch is talking about:

David Mills 15

Dak Prescott 15

Josh Allen 14

Derek Carr 14

Kirk Cousins 14

Matt Ryan 13 

Joe Burrow 12

Patrick Mahomes 12

Aaron Rodgers 12

Anyone seriously think Mahomes tied for 4th here? Exactly. He didn't.

Anyone think Mahomes had the 4th highest total? When 6 guys had higher totals than Mahomes's 12? Exactly.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, losses against bad teams are OK, because being beaten by bad teams is OK?

Also, I think I've come up with a brilliant new quotation here, check it out:

"Wins and losses are not a QB stat, they are a team stat." Brilliant fresh new idea, right? Oh, not so fresh? Fair enough, but it's still right on target. You get it, I know, as you're using the slashes there, "Josh/Bills," but it's still being ignored in a lot of arguments here.

Lamar has been more consistent this year. Which is really big.

No he hasn't, he just has less interceptions, and 7 games under 200 yards passing suggest otherwise. Baltimore wins because of defense, not because of Jackson, Buffalo wins because of Allen, so who is the real MVP.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, VW82 said:

If it wasn't Lamar, it should have been Purdy. I think it was Barnwell who pointed out that Purdy had the 4th greatest statistical season of all time by any/a+. Dak had a better statistical season as well. Mahomes was about the same as Josh and arguably had less weapons. 

Josh will hopefully prove he's the best player in the NFL with this upcoming SB run, but as for 2023 MVP, No. 

Did you even watch the above video? 😂

Edited by first_and_ten

5 minutes ago, LarryMadman said:

No he hasn't, he just has less interceptions, and 7 games under 200 yards passing suggest otherwise. Baltimore wins because of defense, not because of Jackson, Buffalo wins because of Allen, so who is the real MVP.

Who is the real MVP?

We'll find out soon enough. 

Last I knew - 6 days ago - you could get 50:1 on Allen. Bet you've already put a second mortgage on the house, hunh?

Lamar? You have to bet $200 to win $1.

Who is the real MVP?

Almost certainly not Josh Allen. At least this year.

Oh, and Baltimore wins because of defense and offense. And special teams and coaching. But the fact that their QB is terrific, and more has been more consistent this year is a major reason.

Strangely, defense, offense, special teams and coaching are the reason the Bills win too, though again it helps they've got a terrific QB. But his turnover problems being a major factor in several losses did not help his MVP chances.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Oh, it's me yelling at the internet? You, you're just watching the game ... except you're not, you're yelling at me while accusing me of yelling.

The difference between us being you're wrong.

It doesn't say "Mahomes's number of INTs T-4".  Your idea is pathetic. It says "Mahomes T-4." 

Meaning Mahomes tied for 4th. And he did not.

Folks, these are the INT numbers Punch is talking about:

David Mills 15

Dak Prescott 15

Josh Allen 14

Derek Carr 14

Kirk Cousins 14

Matt Ryan 13 

Joe Burrow 12

Patrick Mahomes 12

Aaron Rodgers 12

Anyone seriously think Mahomes tied for 4th here? Exactly. 

The focus is on the number of INT's, not on the number of players who threw them. It sounds like you don't like that approach. That's fine. But what he said in the video is accurate from that lense. Again, you might not like that argument, but he didn't lie or say anything false. QB's threw 12, 13, 14, or 15 INT's that year. 12 was the 4th most number of INT's, so if you threw that many, that is the 4th most total.

Josh is not going to win MVP this year. That's obvious. But he had a far better season than most people are giving him credit for, because of the turnovers. They ignore everything else because of the turnovers. That's the point of the video, essentially.

Also, you are taking this very seriously and come across as a real prick in this thread. So, nice job, I guess? You are great at antagonizing fellow Bills fans.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

But Lamar has 50 yards passing at halftime. Josh can't put up those kinds of stats. What a beast

I think this is why in game posting always looks bad haha. 

NFL MVP rarely wins the SB. 

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Who is the real MVP?

We'll find out soon enough. 

Last I knew - 6 days ago - you could get 50:1 on Allen. Bet you've already put a second mortgage on the house, hunh?

Lamar? You have to bet $200 to win $1.

Who is the real MVP?

Almost certainly not Josh Allen. At least this year.

Oh, and Baltimore wins because of defense and offense. And special teams and coaching. But the fact that their QB is terrific, and more has been more consistent this year is a major reason.

Strangely, defense, offense, special teams and coaching are the reason the Bills win too, though again it helps they've got a terrific QB. But his turnover problems being a major factor in several losses did not help his MVP chances.

Lol, ok you seem like a smart guy, why do you think Lamar is a better QB than Josh? MVP is supposed to equal best player in the league, right.

• Disagree 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I think this is why in game posting always looks bad haha. 

NFL MVP rarely wins the SB. 

Yeah wow super impressed that after that he added another 100 yards passing. What a juggernaut. Clearly the best player in the world

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Ravens could definitely be a playoff team with Tyler Huntley under center … that alone takes him (LJ) out of MVP consideration. 

Have you ever actually watched Huntley play? He's below average at best.  He plays the whole season,  Baltimore is below .500.

46 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

Josh winning both would be the righteous choice. No player means more to their team or city. 

That statement is entirely subjective, and the "city" has no bearing on the selection. 

• Disagree 2

1 minute ago, cle23 said:

Have you ever actually watched Huntley play? He's below average at best.  He plays the whole season,  Baltimore is below .500.

It’s just a fun thing to say to downplay another team’s QB importance. Remember when many here said Mahomes wasn’t as great as people portray him to be because Chad Henne stepped in and led their offense on a 96 yard drive? I can’t with this place sometimes. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

So, losses against bad teams are OK, because being beaten by bad teams is OK?

Also, I think I've come up with a brilliant new quotation here, check it out:

"Wins and losses are not a QB stat, they are a team stat." Brilliant fresh new idea, right? Oh, not so fresh? Fair enough, but it's still right on target. You get it, I know, as you're using the slashes there, "Josh/Bills," but it's still being ignored in a lot of arguments here.

Lamar has been more consistent this year. Which is really big.

My post was in response to someone who said Lamar crushed playoff teams (as his argument for why Lamar over Josh for MVP). So, that is why I pointed out their records vs. playoff teams, to show that Lamar doesn't have that as something over Josh. Josh did very well (actually better) against playoff teams---even if it's a team stat really.

Of course, losing to bad teams does not look good. But, as the OP's video pointed out (we are talking for individual MVP, not team here), all but the Jets opening day loss, Josh put the team ahead in the 4th quarter, but the defense was unable to stop the opposing team from scoring and taking the game. So, you can't really pin those losses on Josh from an individual standpoint. And Josh never blew a game in the 4th quarter with a turnover and has the lowest negative/bad play impact of any QB in the league (despite the turnovers).

And of course, wins and losses are a team stat. But, why do the Lamar supporters get to hold up his team's record as a reason he should be MVP (when his defense carried many of those wins), but with Josh, if I bring up wins against playoff teams, all of a sudden wins are a team stat and can't be used in Josh's defense? Again, are two more regular season wins for Jackson (and his defense) the deciding factor here? If wins are a team stat, then those two wins more than Josh shouldn't be the deciding factor, right?

As far as consistency, I will grant you that Baltimore as a team was more consistent than the Bills as a team this year. But Lamar?

Jackson had 3 games with 0 TDs (rushing or passing), and 5 games with only 1 TD (rush or pass). So, 8 games with 1 or 0 TDs. That's almost half the season. Are those MVP worthy stats?

Lamar had 7 games with fewer than 200 yards passing.

[To include rushing]

Lamar had 5 games under 250 yards from scrimmage

Lamar had 10 games under 300 yards from scrimmage

Josh had 1 game with only one TD (he did not have any zero TD games).

Josh had 4 games with fewer than 200 yards passing.

[Below are same number of games as Lamar]

Josh had 5 games under 250 yards from scrimmage.

Josh had 10 games with under 300 yards from scrimmage.

People also bring up that the Ravens were blowing people out, so the Ravens took their foot off the gas in those games leading to lower stats for Lamar.

Well, Baltimore had 9 blowout wins (2 TDs or more).

The Bills, despite their inconsistency, had 6 blowout wins.

So, that's only maybe 3-5 quarters of football all year more than Josh that Lamar "didn't need to do much."

Keep them coming fellas. Convince me where Lamar's season was far superior.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.