McDermott: Steelers "Handled us easily in the preseason."

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

They're a good team even without Watt they’ll have both WRs and Freirmuth (we have stunk against tall physical TEs) is a problem.  

Warren and Najee will not be easy either.  

Oh and they have nothing to lose and we’re coming off a massive emotional win.   

Do not take this team lightly. 

That absolutely needs to be the message.

The O/U is now 35.  

It’s the playoffs and we’ve been in 5 straight emotional games.We lost our last playoff game in our building, zero chance we take a Mike Tomlin team lightly.They have a gritty, physical team but Rudolf has never played in this environment not to mention temps in the low 20s and big wind. The 12th man makes life miserable and Josh threw the ball really well against Miami. I like our chances.

Perfect game part II?

Almost identical to the 2021 season right down to record, being 7-6 then winning out to take the division title and even Allen finishing with exactly the same 92.2 passer rating.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Don’t expect any help from the weather either this is Pittsburgh. Not exactly a warm weather team.

I actually don’t think this matters for players as much as fans/talking heads say it does. To start, most teams practice indoors most of the time.

Even in wintery cities it’s great football weather through October and often pretty decent these days all the way up to Thanksgiving. Then it’s 5 weeks, half of which are on the road. There’s maybe 3 games that MIGHT be bad weather, snowy, wintery weather.

And when the season wraps up just about every player in the league takes off to California or Florida for 6 months, only to return to their teams when the weather is really nice. 

I think some players are better in inclimate weather, but it has nothing to do with the city they play for. 

• Agree 1

This a game that screams dressing all 4 backs, all DTs, all OL, PS TE and running the crap out of the ball. It’s gonna be hard to pass for 100 yards. It’s going to be won in the trenches. Knowing this in advance a key will be winning the coin toss and driving to the tunnel end in the 2nd and 4th Qtr in case we want or need to take some deep shots.

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

Weather can be an equalizer, yes.  But I'd say overall a weather game benefits whichever team has a 6'5 240 lb stampeding antelope at QB, and whichever team has 85,000 fans further disrupting the opposition.

People are still scarred by that pats wind game lol 

7 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

People are still scarred by that pats wind game lol 

Whats funny is the Bills missed a few long TDs in that game. I remember Diggs dropping the ball in the endzone. 

For this game I don't think Mason Rudolph has the strongest arm. If the Bills get out  front and make the Steelers throw the ball it could be a blow out honestly. Even though Harris hasn't been great this is a great game for a big RB like him

5 hours ago, JMM said:

VERY concerned about that forecast.  Would absolutely be a possible equalizer and favor PERFECTLY the style and strengths of their team. 

They couldn’t run the ball at all until the passing game picked up…don’t think they’re really suited to be a one dimensional smashmouth team 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

I posted this wondering if we could glean anything from the preseason loss against the Steelers. Two pages in and not one point or reference to that game has been mentioned. 😂

In the past, I would worry that the Steelers could "out physical" Buffalo. But in this case I don't think that's going to happen. Buffalo is physical enough to hang with Pittsburgh and Tomlin's old school style.

I know Tomlin talks up the offensive and defensive lines. The Bills need to be prepared to compete at the line of scrimmage, much like that they did against Miami and Dallas.

If the weather is windy and cold, that will limit the downfield passing game, and limit the amount of time Josh can operate out of the shotgun. In the preseason, I think Josh took every snap out of shotgun and I am not sure that Dorsey ran the ball at all.

I guess it's going to be a super physical game.

Unless the game plan is for Josh to use his arm to cut through the wind (?), which I think would be the wrong approach.

• Like (+1) 1

The Steelers use a 3-4 defense, which in preseason is not going to be gameplanned for in any real depth. Will not be the case in this time.

As for the weather? Who knows, the Bills should be good with it but you can never really tell.

Bad weather, by which I mean wind, rain, or snow will definitely benefit Pittsburgh.    I see some comments upthread that Allen's arm strength will allow him to cut through the wind.  But that to me is the whole issue; rather than recognizing limits due to weather conditions, Allen just throws the ball harder which leads to poorer accuracy and more dropped balls. Hopefully, they will rely more on Allen's legs which is a huge advantage.

The Steelers will try to replay their game against Baltimore though it will be much harder without Watt.  The good thing is if the Bills get out to an decent lead (and don't make stupid mistakes) it will force them out of this mode and it is unlikely Rudolph will be able bring them back.

Edited by Billy Claude

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.