Any Predictions For Today? Here Are Mine.......

First and foremost, Happy New Year to all of you to include your families and loved ones! Now, two disclaimers:

1) As most of you know I am an Alabama Fan, so my opinion on that game will be surely tainted and biased.

2) If I could accurately predict college and NFL football games I would be rich. I had a decent career, but I would have preferred to be sitting around watching football games and making millions of dollars. OK......

Alabama/Michigan: 

Tbh, I am not 100% sold on Jaylen Milroe. This is unfamiliar footing after years of having Hurts, Tua, Mac, and Bryce play this position. Milroe has a very strong arm and resembles Lamar Jackson on running plays. Yeah, he really does. The kid is huge, strong as a bull, and has sprinter speed. As a passer he is too indecisive. It's his first year as a starter but his third year in Tuscaloosa.  Still, he entered the season with much to learn. Some of this can be blamed on Bill O'Brien, who as the Bama OC told him to change positions. Despite all of this, the kid has really improved. If he has room to run he will score tds, of this I am sure. He obviously has very good weapons, to include WR Jermaine Burton (a player to watch for the Bills) and a relativelty unknown explosive RB Jam Miller. The OL is gigantic and very much improved since the beginning of the season. Make no mistake, the offense is strong.  Are they as good as they were for the last several years? Nope.

Otoh, the defense is superb. They lost the great Will Anderson and the team is not only better defensively, they are better and deeper at LB. The DL is very stout and Justin Eboigebe is an excellent pass rusher.  The LBs are 7 or 8 deep and great. The secondary is amazing. Terrion Arnold is a great corner and freshman safety Caleb Downs is nothing short of sensational. This kid can cover, play the run, and blitz. A future superstar. Another deep and talented unit. From what I have read, I don't know if Michigan has the offensive speed to challenge the Bama defense. Can they overpower Bama? Maybe, but Saban would seem to be ready for this type of old school football.

In a low scoring game, I am looking at Alabama 24 - Michigan 16

Washington/Texas:

Is this game a trap? It sure loks like one to me. Texas is a big, strong team with very good lines on both sides and perhaps the most underrated QB (Quinn Ewers) in the NCAA. I mean, he is keeping the much heralded Arch Manning on the bench this year and next. I don't see how these two teams even belong on the same field. 

In a romp, I am thinking Texas 40 - Washington 13.

Again, this is JMO, NOT an all knowing proclamation.

Opinions?

Edited by Bill from NYC

1 hour ago, bills6969 said:

Washington dominated in the best conference (Pac12) this year. Penix vs Ewers should be a dual for the ages. I kinda like Washington here.

I’ve questioned Washington, but the more I look at Texas, they’ve gotten a lot of mileage out of the early season Bama win. The Longhorns had an easy schedule outside of Bama, and still managed a loss to Oklahoma. Texas is a good football team, but I don’t think they defeat Washington easily as many assume. The possibility of a big Bama win over Michigan is more likely. 

2 hours ago, bills6969 said:

Washington dominated in the best conference (Pac12) this year. Penix vs Ewers should be a dual for the ages. I kinda like Washington here.

I'm not sold on UW as a 100% winner but if I had to put money on it I'm taking the over the Horns. Longhorns are inconsistent and I would have to take Penix over them for that.

UM Vs. Bama, I really think it's a mismatch. Bama should win easy, unless Bama has 3+ turnovers they win walking away.

At this point not a prediction but how TF did Bama get into the final 4? There defense is great but their offense is mediocre and their QB is awful. FSU has a much better defense and their offense looked similar when Rademacher had only 5 days to prep. Truly pick GA if discussing best but Bama was not best or most deserving of final 4.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, streetkings01 said:

I think people forgot Bama almost lost to Auburn and Arkansas and was in a dog fight with USF. Bama was never a top 4 team in the country especially with that kid at QB 🙄

He played like it was early season again, he played really well down the stretch. 

I underestimated UM, they were definitely better than I believed.  Great game by them.

Bama was lucky to be in it late in the game. The center did them no favors tonight.

Best of luck to UM on the 8th though.

• Like (+1) 3

Penix has been great, but the Huskies receiver duo of Polk and Udunze are going to be good NFL players as well. Washington needs to close out this game by getting the ball back in those guys hands, stop messing around with runs and short passes. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t understand how a lot of sites have him as a 2nd round pick. He looks like the best QB in the draft. His pocket presence is insane.

Quite extensive injury history, I’m not sure if that’s it, but I would be concerned. QB’s are tough to find, it’d take that risk in the first round though. Besides that, I have nothing as to why he’s not rated higher. 

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I don’t understand how a lot of sites have him as a 2nd round pick. He looks like the best QB in the draft. His pocket presence is insane.

I agree.  His draft stock is being discounted because he’s been in college a long time and because of his injury history.  But I think he’s by far the best quarterback in CFB this year and would do really well with a team like Seattle, which already has a lot of elite offensive weapons…

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Quite extensive injury history, I’m not sure if that’s it, but I would be concerned. QB’s are tough to find, it’d take that risk in the first round though. Besides that, I have nothing as to why he’s not rated higher. 

yeah, you might be right re the injury history. But with his poise, he hasn’t even taken a hit tonight. Just moves so well in the pocket. 

i just looked up some draft profiles and some ”experts” question his accuracy and touch. From the few Washington games I have seen, those seem like absurd criticisms. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Can’t believe Texas might pull this out. It feels like Washington should be up by 20 points. 

Washington kept Texas in it. Penix was shredding the defense on several drives, but then Washington called three straight run plays, one series resulted in a turnover on downs and the other a field goal. I was worried it might cost them the game. Washington deserves this victory, but a couple series almost cost them. You got to know when you’ve got the hot hand. Penix was unstoppable most of the game, only his own coordinator could stop him. 

Edited by SirAndrew

If what was happening to U-Dub in the final minute of that game was happening to the Buffalo Bills, I don't know I would have handled it........not well I'm sure.

What a stupid rule that the clock doesn't restart after the injured player is removed from the field.

Two of his teammates should have picked him up and dragged him off the field to keep that clock rolling.

That game was so close to being stolen from Washington.

9 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Well, I am glad that I did post a disclaimer LOL. No excuses here, Alabama was outplayed. Our QB was no match for Michigan's very stout defense.

Congrats to both the Wolverines and their fans. 

Dude, with all due respect, you have no QB. That kid is really awful. The fact that Saban went 12-1 with him in that conference is nothing short of astounding.

Although I will re-iterate my comment earlier in the year about the added difficulty of him repeatedly having to start his read process by looking down to pick up a bad snap multiple times a game. If your Center is not a Senior, he needs to start learning to work at Guard. Today.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Simon said:

Dude, with all due respect, you have no QB. That kid is really awful. The fact that Saban went 12-1 with him in that conference is nothing short of astounding.

Although I will re-iterate my comment earlier in the year about the added difficulty of him repeatedly having to start his read process by looking down to pick up a bad snap multiple times a game. If your Center is not a Senior, he needs to start learning to work at Guard. Today.

I completely agree. I have been skeptical of Milroe since before the season started. There is a 5 star (Ty Simpson) sitting on the bench who I hoped would start. He admittedly came from a small HS in Tennessee which does make the already HUGE and difficult transition from high school to the University of Alabama ever more difficult. I hope that Simpson does not hit the portal.  They even have another 5 star from California (Justin Sayin)  who is already working out with the team. After Hurts, Tua, Mac, and Bryce, it was very tough from day one to not be skeptical of Milroe.

Simon, this was Milroe's third season at Alabama.  Hurts came in and started immediately and was more advanced mentaly than Milroe is today. Tua came in polished and ready. Mac (say what you want about him) sat 2 years. In his third year he went undefeated against an all SEC schedule and won a title. (OK, he had perhaps the best offense of all time but still). Bryce won the Heissman after sitting behind Mac. Hurts was a 2nd round pick, the rest were 1st rounders.

Btw it should be noted that the 2023 Alabama defense was clearly superior to the defenses of the afforementioned teams, thus making life easier for Milroe. 

If Milroe declares for the draft (which sadly he says that he will not), in what round would he be drafted in this qb driven NFL? 3rd? 4th? 5th? You tell me. Could he have some success on a team stacked with receivers like the Dolphins? Maybe, but he is not especially accurate so I'm not at all certain.

Again, I offer no excuses for this game. Michigan made a couple of serious mistakes. They overcame them and beat us (something that almost never occurs with Saban teams). My congrats go out to Michigan, their fans, and yes, Coach Harbaugh. I hope that they win the title.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.