Are you or anyone in your family big gift givers for Christmas?

Another Fan

My mom and her sister (my aunt) are.  It never much clicked in my thick mind though my Mom was until recently.  She'd always get me lots of clothes for Christmas and buys enough toys for her nephews kids that would make a full orphanage happy.  It's kind of funny my father's side of the family is doing Christmas without giving any gifts this year.  Which to me is kind of weird but it is what it is.  My Mom still wants to give them gifts but my Dad is trying to tell her No They Are Not Having it!  

It's a pretty funny memory now when I was in 8th grade my mom gave me a gift for Christmas to give to the principal of my school who was a nun.  I don't even remember what it was but I just did not want to bring it to her.  As a grown up now this sister seemed all right but she kind of hit upon some of the negative stereotypes people have of women who choose that lifestyle.  Anyway her office was across the street and like 5 minutes away so besides not wanting to bring it to her it was like a pain in the neck to walk there alone as well.  I asked my one friend if she was giving the principal anything to which he was like, "Heck No She doesn't deserve anything".  It was enough in my mind not to rationalize going through with giving her the gift!  I cant even remember how my Mom took it or what I did with the gift but I did not give it to her.  Aah , I have a lot of regrets of things I did or didn't do in life.... this was not one of them.  

Edited by Another Fan

• Another Fan changed the title to Are you or anyone in your family big gift givers for Christmas?

With my immediately family, I stick to a budget for each of them.  For the wife, she gets whatever I see that I know she will like.  I probably spend as much on her as I do my family combined.  

I once dated a girl years ago that came from a poor family.  It was interesting the one Christmas I spent with them, seeing the gifts they would give each other.  I had bought her a new radio for her car, it currently only had AM/FM.  The one I got her was on the low end, can't remember if it had a cassette or CD built in, I only paid around $60 for it, and it was the most expensive gift that anyone got there that year.  

Growing up it was all about “the stuff” we’d get, as much as possible. It was like candy at Halloween, more is better, even if you have no need for it. Now? Quite the opposite. We got some stuff for family and grandkids, but nothing more extravagant than a new bike to fit the 10 year old. I got my wife one gift, a coffee mug with a funny panda thing on it. She loves pandas. 🤷‍♂️  Of course, she got a new car last week and we have some furniture being delivered next week, so there are no complaints from anybody. I don’t want “stuff” for the sake of getting stuff. 

We went out yesterday and she took me to a store I had not been. I got some clothes and she didn’t have to wonder if I would like them or if they would fit properly. That makes it easy on everyone. I will be thoroughly surprised whenever we can get the family together to open stuff, as it is not on 12/25 these days. We celebrate when holiday travel plans allow. 

A few years ago my sister and her family said NO GIFTS, all year. No birthdays, Christmas, Anniversary gifts, etc. They took the money they saved and put it towards a Christmas trip to Paris. It didn’t cover everything, but put a pretty good dent into the expense. I thought that was a great idea! 

Our family had 5 kids, and 1 income from my dad. So there were a few gifts for each child, one major item and some smaller gifts.

Our friend Richard, an only child, stops by and asks “Where’s your big stuff?”

Sixty years later, that expression still pops up once in a while.

• Haha (+1) 1

With my "birth" family, it was ridiculous.  The presents would spread out from the tree & fill half the living room.  It took us 3+ hours to open 'em, and we took a break for brunch in between.

With my "married" family, it's much more low-key.  Basically 1 gift per person.  

I like both.  No rules at xmas.

17 hours ago, Augie said:

A few years ago my sister and her family said NO GIFTS, all year. No birthdays, Christmas, Anniversary gifts, etc. They took the money they saved and put it towards a Christmas trip to Paris. It didn’t cover everything, but put a pretty good dent into the expense. I thought that was a great idea! 

With my siblings, about 20-30 years ago I told them I wasn’t buying them birthday presents anymore and did not want any for myself from them, mainly because two of them had birthdays in March and the other two in May, and I was a poor, just out of college, worker.  Getting hit with four birthdays in two months was just too much.  

I usually go all out for my wife. She has 4 kids, her parents and her cousin she buys for. So I tend to spoil her. This year I bought her a full HexClad cookware set. I have in past Christmas years bought her a remote car starter, airfare and Air BnB for past trips, etc.

11 hours ago, Success said:

With my "birth" family, it was ridiculous.  The presents would spread out from the tree & fill half the living room.  It took us 3+ hours to open 'em, and we took a break for brunch in between.

With my "married" family, it's much more low-key.  Basically 1 gift per person.  

I like both.  No rules at xmas.

My wife’s family would all simultaneously rip into every gift and it was all over in a couple frantic minutes. I insisted we adopt a practice my sister would use: the Opening Chair. One gift at a time, and the person receiving the gift had to be in the designated chair. It slows things down so we could enjoy it, and it pissed everyone else off. It was AWESOME!   😂 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

we limit our gift giving to 1 item s person.  My daughter is a jokester and every year she will wrap in ingenious ways a bar of Dr Bronners peppermint soap for each of us LOL

We lack for Nothing and live pretty frugally. We made that decision when hubby retired at age 55, We are truly blessed

• Awesome! (+1) 1

For the kiddos, nieces and nephew, I was a proponent of the:

1 thing they want

1 thing they need

1 thing they wear

1 thing they read

Christmas hasn’t been festive here in quite a while tho. My mum passed in 2014. Haven’t seen one niece who I was very close with (my brother has severe Lyme disease and I would go over there and help when he had her) since 2015, due to 8 YEARS in family court and she now doesn’t really remember us #ParentalAlienation. I only see my other brother and his kids like once a year; they and their mum do their own thing ~1 hour away. I’m on the autism spectrum and don’t really connect with other people easily. So yeah. Haven’t put up the tree in 8 years and would just spend the day/s with my dog. He passed in November at almost 14 and it was wrecking me. Got a rescue goldendoodle about 3 weeks ago, which was my Christmas present for myself and for him and it’s still melancholy… but bearable now. I’ve been getting things for him this season — walking harness & new leash, treats, chewing bone, clipper set so I can do grooming myself and save some money…. If I need something through the year I just get it when I can instead of saving it for Christmas.

There are some in my Facebook circle who go very overboard. But for the most part, it seems to be getting more low-key.

• Sad 1

We spoil our kids for Christmas. We both work hard for our money, put in a lot of hours, and have minimal debt. They don't get much at all throughout the year, but they do get plenty for the holidays. 

Kid 1 got a new iphone/ Cowboy boots, and fishing gear

kid 2 got a dirt bike and riding gear

we are taking them to the Bills/Patriots game and to the home opener of the Pittsburgh Pirates. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.