Under inflated K balls in Pats v Chiefs game

PatsFanNH

I just read this and while I laughed out loud at the fact that the refs did not properly inflate both teams kicking balls (they were 2 pounds under the limit) I also got to thinking.. How could they mess it up that badly on both teams Kicking balls? They said that caused the poor punts and FG attempts in the first half as well as poor kickoffs. They fixed it at half time when both teams complained. 

• Haha (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I just read this and while I laughed out loud at the fact that the refs did not properly inflate both teams kicking balls (they were 2 pounds under the limit) I also got to thinking.. How could they mess it up that badly on both teams Kicking balls? They said that caused the poor punts and FG attempts in the first half as well as poor kickoffs. They fixed it at half time when both teams complained. 

Cheats complained about under deflated balls?   Br*dy love(d/s) soft balls.    My how things have changed.

• Haha (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, Success said:

The Patriots will always be the team I have the most disdain for - in any sport, and for all time.

I have as much distain for Bills fans who continue praising them after number of times they cheated playing us.

They are just too embarrassed to admit they changed allegiance. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Cheats complained about under deflated balls?   Br*dy love(d/s) soft balls.    My how things have changed.

Kicking balls and I THINK those are preferred harder than softer.. but I am not sure. 

1 hour ago, nedboy7 said:

Remember!  If you think it’s foul play you are conspiracy theorists.  No way could humans keep secrets. 

I thought it showed how truly inept the refs really are.  That and how hilarious it was that they screwed up so amazingly for BOTH teams on the same type ball!

11 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Kicking balls and I THINK those are preferred harder than softer.. but I am not sure. 

I thought it showed how truly inept the refs really are.  That and how hilarious it was that they screwed up so amazingly for BOTH teams on the same type ball!

Oh no, kicking balls that are a bit softer have more recoil. They travel much further. I'm sure a pressure exists in which it's too soft, but about the worst thing for a kicker is a very hard max inflated ball. It's like kicking a rock. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Oh no, kicking balls that are a bit softer have more recoil. They travel much further. I'm sure a pressure exists in which it's too soft, but about the worst thing for a kicker is a very hard max inflated ball. It's like kicking a rock. 

Kicking them in cold weather hurts, too. The leather gets all hard and I'm pretty sure you can't kick as far.

• Agree 2

On 12/21/2023 at 12:42 PM, Mikie2times said:

Apparently not. That sounded wonky to me, so I looked it up.

"Basically, a little bit of air removed from the ball makes it easier to kick accurately because you get more ball surface in contact with the toe," Timothy Gay, physics professor at the University of Nebraska, told NBC News. "The more air you remove the shorter the range because the ball behaves more like a mattress and less like a stiff spring, so that the kicker expends more energy deforming the ball and less giving it velocity."

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/super-bowl-xlix/pigskin-physics-whats-big-deal-about-deflated-footballs-n290466

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Apparently not. That sounded wonky to me, so I looked it up.

"Basically, a little bit of air removed from the ball makes it easier to kick accurately because you get more ball surface in contact with the toe," Timothy Gay, physics professor at the University of Nebraska, told NBC News. "The more air you remove the shorter the range because the ball behaves more like a mattress and less like a stiff spring, so that the kicker expends more energy deforming the ball and less giving it velocity."

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/super-bowl-xlix/pigskin-physics-whats-big-deal-about-deflated-footballs-n290466

That sounds right. You could really feel the difference. I recall in my high school days asking if we could use our practice balls for kickoffs in games because I could kill those things. You could feel it off your foot right away vs the brand new more heavily inflated balls. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.