OT - Isiah Mckenzie and Tony Brown suspended for remainder of the season

The Wiz

22 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

If it were PED’s wouldn’t the discipline come from the league and not the team?

If it was a league test yes, league first

If they were caught using PEDs in or around the facility or team road trips ??

I don't know

Fighting or repeatedly breaking rules like showing up to practice seems like it would be a one game suspension.

Depends on the circumstances, I would think?  How severe it was? 

Enemkpali got 4 games for breaking Geno Smith's jaw in a locker room fight, but I think that came from the league and not the team

The fact they are suspended for the final 3 games of the season by the team is almost unprecedented.  

Usually a team would just cut a player in their circs (like the Jets immediately cut Enemkpali).  They're both bottom of the roster, 1 year league-minimum contract guys with no dead money to speak of thus no cap implications to sending the Turk.

I wonder if the Colts figure cutting them would allow a team the Colts are about to play, to pick them up and harvest useful inside info?

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Isaiah was always a bit of a lose canon, I can definitely see him saying something stuipd, counter productive.

You don't typically suspend guys multiple games for running their mouths.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, kota said:

now you know why they didn't retain him.

Oh, Stuff.

McKenzie had performance issues on the field.  They gave him the chance to earn a role as a primary slot, and he didn't make the grade.  They thought they had the PR/KR duties covered by Hines, and they thought Harty was an upgrade as the #4/gadget guy.

FWIW: I thought I remembered something so I looked it up.

Back In Da Day when he was in college playing for Alabama, Tony Brown was sent home from the Cotton Bowl for starting a fight during practice with a DL

(maybe, when you're 6'0" 200 don't start fights with 6'6" 320 lb guys?)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2603791-tony-brown-reportedly-sent-home-from-cotton-bowl-for-violation-of-team-rules

58 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Things change sometimes, but at least when he was here McKenzie was pretty up-front that he didn't drink and didn't do illicit drugs.

And when you're 5'7", 180 lbs (maybe - dripping wet with cleats on), getting into a bar fight seems like a Bad Move.

At least Tony Brown is 6'0 and 200.

He could have been the DD and been dragged into a fight. Been there in my younger days.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

Dunne did include a positive quote from Dirty but that doesn’t necessarily mean everything he said was positive.  Dunne could have used the positive quote as red herring.  

Regardless, the Bills know what the ceiling of McKenzie is and I think they are looking for more from a WR5/WR6

They spent a lot of money on Sherfield and Sharty and got WAY less production than McKittrick. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

They spent a lot of money on Sherfield and Sharty and got WAY less production than McKittrick. 

You make it sounds like it was a mistake to move on.  They gave Harty a decent contract which clearly was a miss from a production standpoint.  The difference is he doesn’t make the mental mistakes that McKenzie did.

Sherrield was signed to the vet minimum - not sure where the “lot of money” comes from.  He hasn’t had the receptions but has helped in the run game and special teams.

Shakir will finish the year with stats close to what McKenzie had in 2022.  He more than picked up the slack and again…doesn’t make the metal mistakes.

Overall it was a good decision to move on from McKenzie.  

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Dude has had a rough season.

1. 1st day of FA tweets out "C'Mon Beane do something" 

2. Beane signs his replacement first thing. 

3. Gets released. Says he's looking for an opportunity. 

4. Signs with Colts

5. Gets beat out for starting slot spot by Downs.

6. Now, Suspended by team. 

He was their primary punt returner and doing a decent job at it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I don't think Sherfield was intended as a McKenzie replacement.  He replaced Kumerow.  Almost as good ST player who is a better WR than Kumerow.  He's not a vet minimum contract, but not much more.

Deonte Harty, yeah, they signed him thinking they were getting a fast McKenzie-quality gadget guy who can actually track the ball and go deep.  They paid him significantly more than McKenzie was due thinking he was an upgrade.  So far....he's not as productive, but Harty has been seeing the field a lot less than McKenzie did last year, mostly due to Kincaid and Shakir.

10 minutes ago, Nitro said:

He was their primary punt returner and doing a decent job at it.

McKenzie like 16th in the league for PR yardage (23 returns)

He did muff one in the last game he played tho

Harty 18th so not too far behind, and actually higher Y/R than McK (9.9 Y/R vs 8.9)

Can't really make the argument Harty is "less productive" as a ST guy especially as the Bills no longer trusted McK in the PR role.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

You make it sounds like it was a mistake to move on.  They gave Harty a decent contract which clearly was a miss from a production standpoint.  The difference is he doesn’t make the mental mistakes that McKenzie did.

Sherrield was signed to the vet minimum - not sure where the “lot of money” comes from.  He hasn’t had the receptions but has helped in the run game and special teams.

Shakir will finish the year with stats close to what McKenzie had in 2022.  He more than picked up the slack and again…doesn’t make the metal mistakes.

Overall it was a good decision to move on from McKenzie.  

Sherfield is getting more than vet minimum, but not a lot more.

It was time to move on from McKenzie.

Edited by Beck Water

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.