Cortland State WINS the Stagg Bowl!

May Day 10

My alma mater has been on a terrific run through the Division III playoffs.  In the semi-final, they pulled the upset and smashed Randolph-Macon 49-14 (and it wasn't that close) on Saturday

Their quarterback is Buffalo/Ken West product Zac Boyes and he has smashed most Cortland records this season.  He looks terrific

Cortland has never been to the semifinals, let alone the Stagg Bowl.  The last time a New York State team was in it was Ithaca in 1991.

They play a machine though in North Central (Illinois).  They have been to 4 straight Stagg Bowls now and have won 2.  Friday at 7PM on ESPN U.

https://www.wbng.com/2023/12/12/cortland-football-preparing-first-ever-division-3-championship-game-against-north-central/

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/d3/2023

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 2

North Central is a monster and to be fair, Cortland had a really soft road to the finals. All the juggernauts outside of Mount were in the opposite bracket. Macon actually played Cortlands first round opponent Endicott in the regular season and Endicott blew them out so the result between Cortland and Macon wasn't tremendously surprising to me. Good team obviously as their only loss was to a good Susquehanna team but Cortland hasn't had to play anyone in the league of North Central yet in this entire tournament. I'll be surprised if Cortland keeps it close.

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

North Central is a monster and to be fair, Cortland had a really soft road to the finals. All the juggernauts outside of Mount were in the opposite bracket. Macon actually played Cortlands first round opponent Endicott in the regular season and Endicott blew them out so the result between Cortland and Macon wasn't tremendously surprising to me. Good team obviously as their only loss was to a good Susquehanna team but Cortland hasn't had to play anyone in the league of North Central yet in this entire tournament. I'll be surprised if Cortland keeps it close.

Macon was undefeated, no?  edit:  They also beat Ithaca 46-0

https://rmcathletics.com/sports/football/schedule

But yeah, I agree, that the Cortland road was light on the monsters, Mount Union was upset and all the Wisconsin and midwest teams were on the other side.  It would be a pretty huge upset.  I watched the Macon game though and Cortland had a look of a team that was in the zone in all phases.

Edited by May Day 10

21 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Macon was undefeated, no?  edit:  They also beat Ithaca 46-0

https://rmcathletics.com/sports/football/schedule

But yeah, I agree, that the Cortland road was light on the monsters, Mount Union was upset and all the Wisconsin and midwest teams were on the other side.  It would be a pretty huge upset.  I watched the Macon game though and Cortland had a look of a team that was in the zone in all phases.

Ah yes I mixed up M-C with another school, Hardin Simmons who is usually a powerhouse.

I'm an Ithaca grad, so it's pretty cool seeing our Cortaca Jug rival make the Stagg Bowl.  Kind of shocking actually to see them blow out Randolph Macon in the Semi's.  As mentioned the last NY State team to win was Ithaca in 1991 (and '88, '79).   Since the late 90's all through the 2000's,  Division 3 football has been totally dominated by Midwest teams and I think a Texas team won it too.

Ithaca wins their share of games with Cortland so it makes me think IC can get back to the top of the mountain too.  We had a freshman QB and he just fizzled at the end.  Anyway,  Go Cortland, bring it back to NY State. 

• Like (+1) 1

• May Day 10 changed the title to Cortland State WINS the Stagg Bowl!

Just an amazing game.

The evolution from 7-3 at halftime to 38-37 was insane.  By the 4th, North Central couldn't be stopped and could score at will.  Boyes always had an answer to keep Cortland ahead.  Then it came down to a gutsy call to go for 2 and Cortland finally stuffed NC.  

The jubilation, with some disbelief mixed in by the Cortland players and coaches was fun to watch, contrasted with the crying from the gut of the NC players.

It was really sports at its finest.  Both teams were terrific and fun to watch.  

• Like (+1) 2

Gym teachers across NYS are going wild!!!

and thats awesome. Cortland gets in a game in Yankee Stadium every year and now this. Saw a bit of it and sounded like a great finish. The son of the old buff state coach was the Qb. I believe they said they have a nfl prospect receiver on the other team. 

Hope Cortland has a great weekend celebrating. 

On 12/16/2023 at 7:14 PM, C.Biscuit97 said:

Gym teachers across NYS are going wild!!!

and thats awesome. Cortland gets in a game in Yankee Stadium every year and now this. Saw a bit of it and sounded like a great finish. The son of the old buff state coach was the Qb. I believe they said they have a nfl prospect receiver on the other team. 

Hope Cortland has a great weekend celebrating. 

Jerry Boyes is a legend.

Congrats to Zac and the Red Dragons (feel gross saying it). I remember throwing the ball around with this kid when he was 8-10 years old. Cool to see him succeed now. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.