Al Michaels out for NFL playoffs on NBC in move he wasn't expecting

chongli

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Now might be a good time to get Peacock, which has local NBC on its higher tier, IIRC. Or over-the-air works too.

Peacock is another $5.99/month. I watch the free version but at some point a few months ago the Dan Patrick shows became delayed a day. The Friday show is no good to me Monday morning. I am quickly falling into the SCREW the NFL, and Peacock and every other service they want to *** out to to make an extra buck. 

I don’t hate anyone for being rich. I might have issues with how the sausage was made. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I grew up on Al Michaels monday night football. He seemed bored, unenthused and unimpressed during the games this year. That is probably due to the quality of games on thursdays this year and not his age. 

You missed the Howard Cossell era then. The entire nation would tune in just to hear what he and Don Meredith would have to say. It was great fun! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

You missed the Howard Cossell era then. The entire nation would tune in just to hear what he and Don Meredith would have to say. It was great fun! 

Back in the day you tuned in just because they had that quick run of highlights from each game. THAT was your view into the NFL that weekend. Things have changed, a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Back in the day you tuned in just because they had that quick run of highlights from each game. THAT was your view into the NFL that weekend. Things have changed, a bit. 

I remember being allowed to stay up on a school night just praying the Bills would be among those highlights. We rarely were. 😂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

It seems to me that many people these days are having real trouble calling it quits before they’ve past their prime. When you get to a certain stage or age it’s time to move on and let the next generation take these limited spots.  I’m all for tradition but you have to look in a mirror. 

That's why I retired at the first available opportunity. I have no regrets about that and the young woman who took my former position had been a student of mine, so it was doubly sweet. I do some freelancing in a related field - I like to say that it's to supplement the pension, but really, I just enjoy the work and it's a very light load.

46 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

In my now retired life I’ve learned it isn’t about money. These guys entire existence is wrapped up in their ‘job’. You’ve got it right when you say move over and let the new guys do their thing. 

Yeah, their careers are their identities. It's sad, actually.

My career was just one facet of my life, but certainly not my identity. It was easy to walk away. I miss certain aspects of it, but not enough that I would ever consider going back.

• Like (+1) 1

This is the worst thing an NBC exec has done since Don Ohlmeyer fired Norm from weekend update. That guy was a real jerk!

Seriously though, there's a certain mystique about the way Al Michaels calls a game. His style is unparalleled. Still my favourite play by play announcer next to Dick Enberg.

Edited by QB Bills
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

This confirms what I think I’ve known for a while. Many people pay FAR more attention to the announcers than I do. 

I have said for years, and still maintain, that other than maybe friends & family, absolutely no one tunes in to ANY sports contest because who is announcing the contest. People watch a sports event because: it’s their team (or for golf/tennis, they follow a certain player), it’s a great matchup between 2 good teams (or two good singular athletes), it's the playoffs and great games are expected, or they're betting on the event or player.

The amount of money paid to these announcers is just absolutely mind boggling. There's no need for it. Fans will watch their team, or their favorite player, or a great matchup no matter who is calling it. Conversely, if it's bad teams, or a crap matchup, no one is tuning in because Nance & Romo are calling it.

• Agree 3

25 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I have said for years, and still maintain, that other than maybe friends & family, absolutely no one tunes in to ANY sports contest because who is announcing the contest. People watch a sports event because: it’s their team (or for golf/tennis, they follow a certain player), it’s a great matchup between 2 good teams (or two good singular athletes), it's the playoffs and great games are expected, or they're betting on the event or player.

The amount of money paid to these announcers is just absolutely mind boggling. There's no need for it. Fans will watch their team, or their favorite player, or a great matchup no matter who is calling it. Conversely, if it's bad teams, or a crap matchup, no one is tuning in because Nance & Romo are calling it.

Bad announcing though absolutely impacts my ability to enjoy a game

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.