O'Cyrus Torrence.....A pretty solid rookie season?? Plus, thoughts on Beane.

Special K

Torrence got off to a really strong start to his rookie season, but I have noticed a few rookie mistakes over the last few weeks surprisingly in run-blocking plays.

Overall, I think he is having an overall solid rookie year, and has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl level Guard for years to come.

Another good pick by Beane over the last few years.....yes he absolutely whiffed on the Elam pick, but he added 3 starters in that Draft(Cook, Bernard, Benford) and the picks of Kincaid, Torrence, and D. Williams are all looking quite promising.

Thoughts??

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 13

It's something about the way we develop players (we tend to be slow in getting some rookies involved) - but one thing that is clear to me is that Beane's picks sometimes need time.  Epenesa is a great example. Oliver was sort of underachieving until this past year  I think most here had written Bernard off.

Which is why I'm not so quick to write off 22-year-old Elam.  I think he probably was hampered by injury a bit this year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him start for us next year.

Agreed on Torrence - he has made some mistakes recently, but it's easy to see that he's a good lineman and was a good pick for us.

• Like (+1) 3

He’s had a solid year. Some rookie growing pains along the way but definite signs that he can be a fixture in the line for years, barring injury. The Bills run production has clearly benefitted from his ability to move people although his pass protection has been more inconsistent, but not unlike other OL rookies adjusting to the complexities of D line stunts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Special K said:

Torrence got off to a really strong start to his rookie season, but I have noticed a few rookie mistakes over the last few weeks surprisingly in run-blocking plays.

Overall, I think he is having an overall solid rookie year, and has the potential to be a Pro-Bowl level Guard for years to come.

Another good pick by Beane over the last few years.....yes he absolutely whiffed on the Elam pick, but he added 3 starters in that Draft(Cook, Bernard, Benford) and the picks of Kincaid, Torrence, and D. Williams are all looking quite promising.

Thoughts??

Torrence was my guy during the pre draft process. Watched a lot of him and was (and am still) excited we have him. He did start strong. Very strong. He's still winning a high percentage of his reps. As you said, there have been a few flaws lately but I think this is more of teams watching him and exploiting his weaknesses which seems to be speed on the inside (to his left).

I have no doubt he'll get that cleaned up.

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Special K said:

Thoughts??

Torrence is not perfect. That's hardly surprising. Rooks face a serious learning curve in the pros and he's no different. He needs to improve his mobility to make plays at the second level. He can pull but it's not a strength. If he can improve that he will likely be a perennial pro bowler because the other requirements of his position he is well on his way to meeting at a high level. Absent injury he can be expected to have a long career as a starter in this league. That makes him a very good late second round pick. Really he should prolly not have been there. Another good fact in his case is that looking at his transfers he always was able to up his game and become dominant in short order even as the competition improved. In judging a young player's potential to transition that is a very useful indicator. 

Edited by starrymessenger
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Success said:

Which is why I'm not so quick to write off 22-year-old Elam.  I think he probably was hampered by injury a bit this year, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him start for us next year.

The trade for Rasul Douglas has lessened the impact of Elam’s struggles, but I hope you are right and he puts it together next year enough to make a noticeable contribution to the Defense.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Success said:

It's something about the way we develop players (we tend to be slow in getting some rookies involved) - but one thing that is clear to me is that Beane's picks sometimes need time.  Epenesa is a great example. Oliver was sort of underachieving until this past year  I think most here had written Bernard off.

Agreed on Torrence - he has made some mistakes recently, but it's easy to see that he's a good lineman and was a good pick for us.

All of Beane’s top 3 round picks are need based. I can’t think of one that wasn’t. AJE was need, Torrence was need, Elam was need, and Kincaid was need. This is fine, because a rookie can make an immediate impact in the NFL. It’s only bad when the need outweighs the quality, like Elam. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Success said:

I think the problem with Elam is that his playbook is still on the plane.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

O line stuff is so boring to me but I having noticed him once this year and I believe that is a great thing. Seems like a very solid pick. 

I here ya, the irony is that the O-line is the fulcrum point of every offense and really should get more hype, jmo. 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Special K said:

I’d love them to get a top-tier RT.

Same.  Although if it's a 1st round pick, then I can see some fans getting upset that we didn't use it to draft a WR lol. 

But for me, a balanced RT would really help reduce the load on Josh's shoulders more than a WR could.  WRs are just flashier.  

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I here ya, the irony is that the O-line is the fulcrum point of every offense and really should get more hype, jmo. 

100%.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Capco said:

Same.  Although if it's a 1st round pick, then I can see some fans getting upset that we didn't use it to draft a WR lol. 

But for me, a balanced RT would really help reduce the load on Josh's shoulders more than a WR could.  WRs are just flashier.  

100%.

Some of the best O-lines in football have 1st round RT's on them.

Sewell in Detroit, and Lane Johnson in Philadelphia come to mind.

In a passing league, and for a team with a QB as valuable as Josh Allen, RT is almost as important of a position as LT, IMO.

Edited by Special K
  • Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, smward8 said:

Terrence has done pretty well as a rookie.  I'd like to see them draft a center in the second or third round in th next draft, and give the guy a year behind Morse.  

I'm not as worried about that with Bates and the other rookie they had at the spot in preseason, they'd be good to battle it out for the spot I'd think. More interested in getting a solid right tackle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.