McD on late game decisions - "Hindsight is always 20/20"

HomeskillitMoorman

6 hours ago, Yobogoya! said:

Even with one TO you've got to at least try one pass there. If you pick up 15-20 yards, you take the timeout and have at least one if not two tries to get another 15-20 where you then spike the ball and try the kick. 

Can't agree with that decision. Even if Gabe had ran the correct read in OT and caught the winning touchdown, I'd still say he was wrong to pass up the chance to win with 20 seconds left. 

I am sure Andy Reid would have knelt down with Mahomes.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gregg said:

Terry Pegula is the only one who can fix this. I doubt anything happens now but if the Bills miss the playoffs, then he has to do something. 

That's going to be interesting.  

He's gotta balance future interest in the team with Allen with Season Ticket sales in the new stadium, particularly given those PSLs.  

If Allen were to retire tomorrow, that would be a much tougher sell.  

21 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I don't disagree that McD is flawed in putting everything on his defense in late game situations and using his TOs to help them out at the expense of the offense...but on this Board he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.  In the Denver game he blitzes at the end and gets burned.  In this game he doesn't.  Same result...a loss.    He got away from "playing not to lose" and now he's back there again.  My hope is that during this bye week he realizes he needs to put the game on his offense...which is now the team's strength under Brady.  Play the season out with that mindset.  Let's see what happens.  In the off season...depending on what happens, let the chips fall where they may.

Not going to happen . Sean sees things in black/white and he is not adaptable.  For a defensive coach you would think he would figure out a way to get a stop at the end of  a game by accident once in a while  He's o for this season far as I am concerned  He got lucky the Giants game they didnt call the grab by Taron Johnson and lucky Godwin didnt see the fb on the Bucs Hail Mary

I posed a question to my Bills buddy, who has a pure hatred for McD and oddly enough, Dion Dawkins:

”Hey Joe, if you were in a room with McDermott, Dawkins and a gun with one bullet, which one of the three of you would you shoot?”

“….Id just hand the gun to McDermott. He’d shoot himself in the foot.”

😂

image.thumb.jpeg.b6288511191c760ade35e8bf51f62ff9.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 5

Terry isn’t in this for the money (tickets or contracts). If he’s not having “fun” (however he defines it….then). A $7 billionaire can’t spend it. 

I’m sure he likes Sean but if Terry isn’t having “fun” because of Sean

costs Terry .01% of his children’s inheritance 

42 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

Not going to happen . Sean sees things in black/white and he is not adaptable.  For a defensive coach you would think he would figure out a way to get a stop at the end of  a game by accident once in a while  He's o for this season far as I am concerned  He got lucky the Giants game they didnt call the grab by Taron Johnson and lucky Godwin didnt see the fb on the Bucs Hail Mary

Okay...but what if McD was capable?  What if the rest of the way McD put the game in the hands of Josh and the offense?  

McWimpy didn't learn from the 13 ***** seconds debacle. I don't think he will ever will learn out of sheer stubborness or stupidty. He had 20 seconds and two timeouts (if he didn't waste one on icing the kicker that never works) and a freaking unicorn of a QB who was balling against the Eagles. All Josh Allen needed to do was drive maybe 40-45 yards for Bass to kick the game winning field goal. Instead McWimpy shrunk and wimpered like he always do and have Allen kneel it down. I knew BIlls lost that game after that pathetic wimpy HC decision.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Okay...but what if McD was capable?  What if the rest of the way McD put the game in the hands of Josh and the offense?  

Its never going to occur  If he was going to change it would have happened after 13 seconds.  He is the same coach he was in 2017  He has not grown or adjusted his philosophy/game day coaching in any way shape or form

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DuckyBoys said:

Its never going to occur  If he was going to change it would have happened after 13 seconds.  He is the same coach he was in 2017  He has not grown or adjusted his philosophy/game day coaching in any way shape or form

That doesn't answer the question.  What if he did?

8 hours ago, ALLinALLEN said:

I think the real reason he didnt push the 20 seconds there for a FG was because he was terrified of an Allen pick. I think that's a terrible reason NOT to try to win , but it's certainly a reason. 

This is correct. He doesn’t trust his QB. Their styles clash (conservative vs fly-by-pants improv).

Yet, he trusts his D time and again to win games and they consistently let him down. He probably fondly recalls the Giants ending when making decisions in-game vs the Pats ending. Even though they were both defensive failures.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/sean-mcdermott-on-questioning-late-game-decisions-hindsight-is-always-20-20

This guy does not get it. At all. 

No, it's not hindsight. It's being prepared for late game situations. He's not prepared for them after 7 years on the top job and after 22 years of coaching in the NFL. 

I have never seen anyone take on less accountability than this clown. Who will the next scapegoat be? 

I'm not sure at this point who I dislike more, McD the coach or McD the human being. 

but McDermott said he worried about Allen taking a sack, and didn’t know if 20 seconds would be enough time.

“I thought about it. I thought about going for it. It’s just with their pass rushers and 20 seconds,” McDermott said.

Allen took 1 sack all game.  KC beat you in 13 seconds.

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Why would you dislike McD as a human being?  You literally dont know the guy personally.  

Not sure if you are purposely playing dumb or just like to state the obvious.

Obviously, no one on here knows McDermott from a personal life perspective.

As a public figure, he sounds more and more like the ultimate hypocrite. Preaches accountability but doesn't want any, advocates a somewhat blurry concept he calls "the process", which I guess would imply continuous improvement, yet constantly shows he refuses, can't, or is too stubborn to learn from his own mistakes.

I guess that's what people are growing more frustrated with, rather than what he does behind closed doors in his private life.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.