The Cook "doghouse"

Success

This was terrible and I b****** about it to my boys throughout the 1st half.  I knew he’d be benched but it should’ve been for the 2nd series.  Cook is a dynamic playmaker and we need to use him more.  His usage (or lack thereof) is part of the reason this offense is struggling.  

and none of this would’ve happened if we had just deferred the opening KO.  Choosing the ball was the beginning of the end and the first of McDs failures yesterday. Had a bad feeling after that. 

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

That's just how McDermott responds to those kind of plays. I knew when it happened he was going to make Cook sit for a while. It's his MO.

My issue was that I felt Davis getting hit in the hands and dropping it leading to an INT was a bigger infraction. And he was out on the field the very next offensive play.

If you're going to punish Cook for his infraction, logically Davis should have been punished as well.

It is his MO and is part of his problem.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It is his MO and is part of his problem.  

I'm not saying it's okay. Just that it's how he operates. And it's bad enough that he does it. But then he does it too long. Coaches around the league will sit a guy for a few plays or a series. But that was like 3 series. That's ridiculous.

Furthermore when you're not consistent with it. Like I was saying, I felt Davis letting the ball hit him in his hands and bounce to the hands of the Broncos was just as, if not more, egregious. Yet he was on the field for the next offensive snap.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm not saying it's okay. Just that it's how he operates. And it's bad enough that he does it. But then he does it too long. Coaches around the league will sit a guy for a few plays or a series. But that was like 3 series. That's ridiculous.

Furthermore when you're not consistent with it. Like I was saying, I felt Davis letting the ball hit him in his hands and bounce to the hands of the Broncos was just as, if not more, egregious. Yet he was on the field for the next offensive snap.

Perfectly stated.  

I’ve been backing McD throughout the year but last night really has me thinking I want an entirely new regime.  Roll the dice.  Could be a mistake as I think McD is a good coach and the replacement could be much worse….. but it’s worth the risk.  

that said….. 7 games left.  The season isn’t over.  I’m pumped to see what we do going forward with Brady even though I’m not really a fan of the guy.  He could very well be part of the problem though.  Josh has looked worse with Brady than he did pre-Brady imo.  And he’s flat out just missing throws. Good comp% but seems like the big 3rd downs he misses more often than not.  But either way…. Brady isn’t Dorsey and for that, I am pumped.  Hopefully the O can catch fire and this is exactly what we needed 

1 hour ago, johndhall1 said:

Maybe it was Dorsey not McDermott that benched Cook. Maybe that’s why Dorsey got fired today. None of us really have any idea what happened. Just gueeses

In the presser this afternoon McD was asked why he chose the ball after the coin toss.  Stated he wanted to give the offense a good start.  Seems pretty peeved.

6 hours ago, Process said:

First fumble in what, 14 months?

Give me a break.

289 carries between fumbles is what I recall hearing.  He fumbled his first NFL carry, and yesterday was his first fumble since

13 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

In the presser this afternoon McD was asked why he chose the ball after the coin toss.  Stated he wanted to give the offense a good start.  Seems pretty peeved.

McDermott said he wanted to show the offense that he had faith in the offense. 

6 hours ago, julian said:

That benching was fireable to me when it happened, I couldn’t believe it. He’s coaching like it’s a pop Warner team.

Problem with me is that he holds certain players accountable and others not so much. He sits Williams when he misses tackles, but nothing to Dodson. Same to Elam and now Cook.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Problem with me is that he holds certain players accountable and others not so much. He sits Williams when he misses tackles, but nothing to Dodson. Same to Elam and now Cook.

Yeah, if a player isn’t good enough to play he doesn’t play, Cook has been very good this year with no issues of fumbling and this clown decides his tough guy coach routine was more important than having one of the very few explosive players they have remain in the lineup to help a struggling offense and team.

I agree with you by the way, I’m just ranting because I want this coach gone ASAP.

It was dumb. 

Just like it was dumb benching McKittrick when he was statistically the best kick returner in the NFL. 

McDermott is a power hungry, vindictive little prick who continually cuts off his skinny little Michael Jackson nose to spite his angry little face. 

Eff him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

yea, it’s got to be maddening for the team to see the inconsistency. Everyone gets qb has its own rules but 1 fumble in 14 months compared to davis misreading a route then immediately bouncing a pick to the defense…. Unless there was some point of emphasis with cook during practice or something, it’s a terrible double standard. 

7 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I didn’t even think about Elam in this but I think it raises a very good question there too. It brings the question whether some are coaches favorites and held to different standards. If we are asking there’s a good chance players are wondering, unless there’s info we don’t know (very possible too)((but also possible not all players know the answers either even if there is a reason))

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MJS said:

It HELPED the offense. Cook was pissed and went out and balled after.

Davis should have been benched after that dropped pass too.

The players need to be held accountable just as much as coaches. They are making too many bone-headed mistakes out there. That is what has been killing most of the drives.

Too bad it took the "time out and pissed off" Cook to think about running the ball.  Should have ran the ball regardless because it was a Denver weakness.  That's what good OCs do, plan how to attack the weakness of the opponent.  

McD has lost all control and it’s never been more obvious. It’s evident he has no idea what to do at this point, especially since he has no more coordinators to fire. Only a matter of time before the blame shines squarely where it belongs, his head. While I agree Dorsey needed to go, McD should be following very close behind. 

14 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Common denominator? Vets vs. rookies (or young 2nd year players). I think it's pretty obvious McDermott favors vets for playing time and gives them every advantage possible (including the one you refer to above)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.