Let’s hope this is their Tampa Bay 2021 game.

Rocbillsfan1

Even though the Bills were struggling through the mid part of 2021 they seemed to find their mojo in the second half of that Tampa Game. This Cinci game kind of had that feeling like if they just would have gotten 1 more possession or Kincaid doesn’t fumble in the red zone the Bills may have won this game. What I see now for the first time is a clear identity for this team which I didn’t see even when they were winning early in the season. They have to keep the 11 personnel and go up tempo. They need to incorporate the RPO and get Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, Davis/Shakir going in that order. They need to go pedal to the metal and go for as many points as possible. 

1 big problem I had with the game and there were a few but every time we were 2nd or 3rd and short we went tush push and got the first down. They should be saving that for fourth down and using those 2nd or 3rd and shorts to take a shot or do a misdirection play. They were just wasting opportunities there. 

the defense is still a problem and I get the injuries are a major reason but in the end they did a better job for the most part in the 2nd half. Let’s see if they can keep that up the next few weeks. 

I have voiced my displeasure of McDermott for years going back to the indi snow game but I will give him and Dorsey the rest of the year to get it together. It’s obvious what they have to do. If they keep losing though because of terrible gameplanning and game mgmt. then they gotta go. If they play hard and are competitive but come up a little short this year because of the defensive injuries then they can have 1 more year otherwise it’s time to throw them in the dump. 

• Like (+1) 5

the up-tempo offense worked in the first drive.  Then we abandoned it.  Then we brought it back.  It had a different feel than the Tampa game when we finally figured out the offense.  That said, if we finally go up-tempo all game, we should put up 30+ and that should be enough to win most games.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Its the only thing given me any hope right now.  Well, KC is also struggling on offense and eventually these teams figure it out because they have been good for so long.

Thats it.  Nothing of concrete evidence that is giving me hope, its all faith because its all I have.

They are also still 7-2 and leading the AFC because they now have an elite defense.  Basically they have become what we were last year although slightly less good on offense.

We've been saying "This is our Tampa 2021 game!" since week 7 of last year.

NOTHING wakes these guys up because McD cant light a fire under them.

11/6/22 - "Maybe this loss against the Jets will wake them up"

11/13/22 - "Maybe this loss against the Vikings will wake them up"

12/17/22 - "We won, but maybe the close game against Miami will wake them up"

1/2/23 - "Maybe the Hamlin incident will rally this team together and wake them up"

1/15/23 - "Maybe struggling against Miami's 3rd string QB will wake them up"

and it keeps going into this year. The Jets, the Jags, the Pats....

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They are also still 7-2 and leading the AFC because they now have an elite defense.  Basically they have become what we were last year although slightly less good on offense.

I really don't think their defense is tested at all.  

The Chargers are always a disappointment and the Dolphins can't play with anyone that's decent.  

I don't think there's a great team in the NFL right now.  I really don't.  All the top win teams have big flaws right now.

• Agree 2

11 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

I've turned off/stopped watching two games in recent memory because I was no longer entertained by how the Bills were playing. This one and the 21 Bucs game. So there you go, the results will be the same.

Yup, for the first time in decades I've chosen to clean the basement rather than finish watching a game a couple times this year.  It's unwatchable.  The worst part is how predictable they've become both at the micro level (worst possible play calling at any given moment) and the macro level (by end of Q1, can tell if the Bills' heart is in it, or if they will just lollygag through the game)

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Even though the Bills were struggling through the mid part of 2021 they seemed to find their mojo in the second half of that Tampa Game. This Cinci game kind of had that feeling like if they just would have gotten 1 more possession or Kincaid doesn’t fumble in the red zone the Bills may have won this game. What I see now for the first time is a clear identity for this team which I didn’t see even when they were winning early in the season. They have to keep the 11 personnel and go up tempo. They need to incorporate the RPO and get Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, Davis/Shakir going in that order. They need to go pedal to the metal and go for as many points as possible. 

1 big problem I had with the game and there were a few but every time we were 2nd or 3rd and short we went tush push and got the first down. They should be saving that for fourth down and using those 2nd or 3rd and shorts to take a shot or do a misdirection play. They were just wasting opportunities there. 

the defense is still a problem and I get the injuries are a major reason but in the end they did a better job for the most part in the 2nd half. Let’s see if they can keep that up the next few weeks. 

I have voiced my displeasure of McDermott for years going back to the indi snow game but I will give him and Dorsey the rest of the year to get it together. It’s obvious what they have to do. If they keep losing though because of terrible gameplanning and game mgmt. then they gotta go. If they play hard and are competitive but come up a little short this year because of the defensive injuries then they can have 1 more year otherwise it’s time to throw them in the dump. 

Didn't mind it on the last TD drive because they were just rolling that drive with Murray in No-huddle.  Don't let them get set a certain way, let murray get you two and call another play.  

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really don't think their defense is tested at all.  

The Chargers are always a disappointment and the Dolphins can't play with anyone that's decent.  

I don't think there's a great team in the NFL right now.  I really don't.  All the top win teams have big flaws right now.

That's what is driving me bananas this year. This is the 1st year in awhile where it's kind of wide open.  If we were having a good year, my optimism would be through the roof.

Hard to figure out what happened, and what's happening.  We lost important players on D, but it's really no excuse. This team should be more competitive than last year's, and it just isn't.

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

We've been saying "This is our Tampa 2021 game!" since week 7 of last year.

NOTHING wakes these guys up because McD cant light a fire under them.

11/6/22 - "Maybe this loss against the Jets will wake them up"

11/13/22 - "Maybe this loss against the Vikings will wake them up"

12/17/22 - "We won, but maybe the close game against Miami will wake them up"

1/2/23 - "Maybe the Hamlin incident will rally this team together and wake them up"

1/15/23 - "Maybe struggling against Miami's 3rd string QB will wake them up"

and it keeps going into this year. The Jets, the Jags, the Pats....

giphy.gif

I think you missed my point, it’s not about “waking up”. It’s about finding an identity and system that works for the players. It’s that ah-ya moment. I never saw that moment in any of the 2022 games nor most of the losses in 2023. The light started to go on in the Tampa Bay game but Tampa sucks so the Bills kind of went back into a lull. Cinci is actually good and so was the Tampa 21 team. Both were losses to good teams where they seems to change up that strategy and stuck to that system in the second half and for the rest of the year they played like their hair was on fire. 

It seemed like Dorsey finally had the lightbulb moment and it was obvious to see in the second half. I never saw that in any of the other games. Could be wrong and they ditch the uptempo 11 personal offense but I think he might just get it now. 

• Like (+1) 1

We lost important players on D, but it's really no excuse

I’d say losing that much talent is definitely an excuse. We are in the reality that we aren’t going to be an average D at this point with them out. Everyone is concerned about the offense though against good teams.

They went up tempo to start and scored 7. Then went up tempo end of first half moved the ball down the field and the refs missed an obvious tripping penalty which screwed up the following play as well. Then they call the bogus Intentional Grounding taking the 3 off the board. The Bills moved the ball up and down in the second half and the Bengals needed a Kincaid fumble at the 10 yard line to win by 6 at home. I don’t think this loss was nearly as bad as the Jets, Patriots, Jags losses. There was a clear recipe and formula to success that we can now see for this offense that started with Tampa a little and now Cinci. 

Now if the coaches scrap it and try to revert back to killing the clock and going run run pass then yea they are stupider than I thought and will be out of a job at the end of the year. 

Edited by Rocbillsfan1

Yeah that Kincaid fumble killed the comeback or i think the Bills would’ve had a great chance to win.  Kid needs to stop going airborne. He’s done it several times already to get extra yards.

What i did like in the Bengals game….i did not feel like the Bills were out physicaled.  They dished out some punishment. They were out schemed a bit but the physicality was there on D.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

the up-tempo offense worked in the first drive.  Then we abandoned it.  Then we brought it back.  It had a different feel than the Tampa game when we finally figured out the offense.  That said, if we finally go up-tempo all game, we should put up 30+ and that should be enough to win most games.  

Funny how we believe this and it's probably true, but the paid coaches won't do it. If they say they want to win games then why abandon what works for the sake of trying new things. Blows my mind to the point where I live the team but I'm finding it hard to support the coaches and staff. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Rocbillsfan1 said:

I think you missed my point, it’s not about “waking up”. It’s about finding an identity and system that works for the players. It’s that ah-ya moment. I never saw that moment in any of the 2022 games nor most of the losses in 2023. The light started to go on in the Tampa Bay game but Tampa sucks so the Bills kind of went back into a lull. Cinci is actually good and so was the Tampa 21 team. Both were losses to good teams where they seems to change up that strategy and stuck to that system in the second half and for the rest of the year they played like their hair was on fire. 

It seemed like Dorsey finally had the lightbulb moment and it was obvious to see in the second half. I never saw that in any of the other games. Could be wrong and they ditch the uptempo 11 personal offense but I think he might just get it now. 

ha sorry, i got your point, but took it in my own direction. wasnt trying to refute you as much as vent about these coaches. :thumbsup:

agreed 100% about needing to find an identity. the problem is, dorsey is incapable of having one. he inherited an offense with an identity (Josh running), and then immediately set to work to kill that identity without having a great plan for our next one.

even when things go great and it seems like we settle on one, like with the fast-paced RPO scheme against tampa, dorsey moves away from it as soon as he can.

sure would be nice, but i have zero faith that dorsey and mcd have have had any "ah-ha" moments when their heads are spinning while trying to tread water at their jobs.

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

In no way does that Cincy game draw parallels to the comeback energy in Tampa.

You think the Bills offense didn’t have energy? 

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

In no way does that Cincy game draw parallels to the comeback energy in Tampa.

In what way does it not? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.