Women Cook Twice as Much as Men

ExiledInIllinois

https://www.cleveland.com/shatter/2018/06/who_mows_the_lawn_at_your_hous.html

"...The stats seem to line up with traditional gender roles. Women cook and clean. Men mow the lawn.

"In three waves of feminism, women have punched through glass only to be pushed back down by thick blades of Centipede and Bermuda," Jennifer Graham wrote in the Boston Globe in 2012. She calls it the "grass ceiling." ...

...But why, when women can push a mower just as well as men? And get some exercise and fresh air, too.

And it's not just cutting grass, of course. It's pulling weeds and clipping hedges and using a trimmer. It's harvesting veggies from the garden and planting bushes on the front walk.  ..."

I've enjoyed cooking since I was in college. When I worked full-time, I cooked occasionally but my wife cooked most of the time. Now that I'm mostly retired and work from home, I cook almost all the meals in our house. My wife is a good cook too - and so is our son, for that matter - and they both offer to cook dinner now and then, but I really enjoy doing it myself. It's a good creative outlet.

When it comes to big dinners like Thanksgiving, though, my wife does it all. She also does all the baking - cakes, cookies, and stuff like that.

my wife cooks more because she the better cook, and because she gets home earlier and can start so the kids are fed.  In the summers I cook more because grilling, using the pizza over, etc.  

as far as which country the men cook more...it didn't surprise me at all.  some italian men, especially the old schools, take it very seriously.  i remember making pasta with my grandfather in his basement.  churning out the pasta onto a large tray so it could dry out.  he had a huge preserve room in his basement, grew a lot of his own fruit and vegetables, etc.  

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

When I was married, I did 90% of the cooking. 

Now we know why he is not married.  Okay one of the reasons.

When we got married I did a lot of cooking for my wife for she never cooked before she came to US.

She loved a lot of stuff I cooked but I was too inconsistent for her - she would like a dish one time but next time I made same dish she didn't.

I started putting a lot more hours in so she learned to cook and destroyed my cast iron frying pan.

She still says after over 30 years she cannot cook well but many people who have tried her cooking disagree. 

Interesting. 

I'm 53, my brother is a year younger. Today we both do almost all the cooking and baking in our respective households. I think it has to do with how we were brought up as kids. My mother did all the cooking and dad really never set foot in the kitchen. By contrast, in the 80s my brother and I were encouraged to learn to cook - we couldn't assume we'd always have someone (girlfriend, wife) would be there to cook for us. We learned and actually enjoyed cooking/baking (and later, found that cooking for a woman could be a great date!). By contrast, our wives were never encouraged to learn to be handy in the kitchen - maybe it was seen as misogynistic to teach girls to cook. Our wives were also never forced to take home economic in school as earlier generations of girls had - that seemed very outdated by the 80s. The result is that my brother end I are the cooks (and we enjoy cooking) and our wives don't cook much at all, mostly because they never learned or spent time in the kitchen. I find this fairly common amongst people my age. 

I actually really enjoy cooking. A lot of guys do, as do a lot of women. I don't think you have to have traditional roles. Some people like yard work more than others. Sometimes you'll have partnerships where both people don't like to do either and you split them up. Couples can just figure out what works best for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

I actually really enjoy cooking. A lot of guys do, as do a lot of women. I don't think you have to have traditional roles. Some people like yard work more than others. Sometimes you'll have partnerships where both people don't like to do either and you split them up. Couples can just figure out what works best for them. 

I hate cooking.  So my wife cooks and I'll do the dishes.  Works out for us.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/31/2023 at 9:12 AM, WhoTom said:

I've enjoyed cooking since I was in college. When I worked full-time, I cooked occasionally but my wife cooked most of the time. Now that I'm mostly retired and work from home, I cook almost all the meals in our house. My wife is a good cook too - and so is our son, for that matter - and they both offer to cook dinner now and then, but I really enjoy doing it myself. It's a good creative outlet.

When it comes to big dinners like Thanksgiving, though, my wife does it all. She also does all the baking - cakes, cookies, and stuff like that.

Thanksgiving is my wife’s meal. Somehow that just came to be the case, just like we became the place for family and friends at Thanksgiving. It just happened that way. 🤷‍♂️

Other than Thanksgiving I’ve done 90%+ of the cooking in recent years. I enjoyed it and had by far the more forgiving schedule, even before I retired. In recent years I’ve lost the drive to cook because the world has gotten so picky about what they will eat. It’s not just the vegetarian DIL, it’s damn near everybody! Growing up food was put in front of us and we ate it or went hungry. Now? I understand allergies are real, but some people just choose to be picky. One will do chicken or fish, but no red meat. Other won’t eat fish (or anything that “swims in it’s own poop”). Some won’t do pasta, and shrimp can be hit or miss. I’m tired of trying to please people, so I don’t. 

I’m not making different meals for the people coming over, so I might do an entree option that folks can ignore, and the wife loads up sides and things from Whole Foods. I enjoyed creating meals, but I got tired of trying to figure out who would eat what. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/1/2023 at 1:39 PM, Doc said:

I hate cooking.  So my wife cooks and I'll do the dishes.  Works out for us.

I don't hate cooking, but TW is better at it, so we have the same deal, she cooks, I clean.  When I do cook, then she cleans. 

On 11/1/2023 at 8:00 AM, stuvian said:

now that I'm retired I do 80% of the cooking and housework

Same with my father.  Growing up, my Mom did most of the cooking since she was a SAHM.  Since my Dad retired, he does pretty much all of it.  

On 10/31/2023 at 1:29 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

https://www.cleveland.com/shatter/2018/06/who_mows_the_lawn_at_your_hous.html

"...The stats seem to line up with traditional gender roles. Women cook and clean. Men mow the lawn.

"In three waves of feminism, women have punched through glass only to be pushed back down by thick blades of Centipede and Bermuda," Jennifer Graham wrote in the Boston Globe in 2012. She calls it the "grass ceiling." ...

...But why, when women can push a mower just as well as men? And get some exercise and fresh air, too.

And it's not just cutting grass, of course. It's pulling weeds and clipping hedges and using a trimmer. It's harvesting veggies from the garden and planting bushes on the front walk.  ..."

We both like to mow the lawn, but where TW will just run the mower, I'll get out the trimmer and blower, bag the clippings, etc.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.