Happy 64th Birthday, Buffalo Bills!

Chandler#81

Yes, ya bastards, I’d been around a few years when this momentous event occurred in 1959. 
1st real memory was ‘stealing’ Jack Kemp off San Diego’s waiver wire in the middle of the night in ‘63! Back then, a team had to put players returning from IR on waivers for a day. Saban knew they were close to getting their star QB back, so he had team personnel watching 24 hours hours a day for it. Ralph gladly paid the $100 waiver wire price to acquire him. Goebells, Schlitz and Pabst beer were sold out in WNY soon after!

Gotta find a Pabst today.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes, ya bastards, I’d been around a few years when this momentous event occurred in 1959. 
1st real memory was ‘stealing’ Jack Kemp off San Diego’s waiver wire in the middle of the night in ‘63! Back then, a team had to put players returning from IR on waivers for a day. Saban knew they were close to getting their star QB back, so he had team personnel watching 24 hours hours a day for it. Ralph gladly paid the $100 waiver wire price to acquire him. Goebells, Schlitz and Pabst beer were sold out in WNY soon after!

Ralph offered $99 and there was a fight over the 1 dollar. 

• Eyeroll 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

I was born a couple weeks before the Bills came out of the ground. One of my early childhood memory was the day the season tickets arrived and we fought at the dinner table over who would get to go see the Raiders game that season. My dad relented and increased to four seats for the next season. That is a strangely vivid memory for me. 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope the 64th is a special year for our team! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6

I was 11 in 1959, huge sports fan at the time.   Was a big Cleveland Browns/Jim Brown fan, as my uncle had been at Syracuse with him.

Quickly transferred my loyalties to my hometown team, where they have remained ever since - through thick and thin.

Beatles wrote a song about "When I'm 64".

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Me and the Bills are the same age, so where’s my happy birthday thread…, okay so I was born in July, what’s the dif, this all about Ralph being cheap, 

1 hour ago, BearNorth said:

I was 11 in 1959, huge sports fan at the time.   Was a big Cleveland Browns/Jim Brown fan, as my uncle had been at Syracuse with him.

Quickly transferred my loyalties to my hometown team, where they have remained ever since - through thick and thin.

Beatles wrote a song about "When I'm 64".

Ditto, re: Cleveland. Damn near every one of their games were on local tv then. It didn’t matter that it was all black & white. Browns unis we’re ugly and boring then, too.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

My mother was in high school then at Lew-Port, but for some reason all of the girls were in love with Joe Namath instead of Jack Kemp :P

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

14 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

My mother was in high school then at Lew-Port, but for some reason all of the girls were in love with Joe Namath instead of Jack Kemp :P

He was still at ‘Bama in ‘63. Would have loved to have him as a Bill! 

19 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

Me and the Bills are the same age, so where’s my happy birthday thread…, okay so I was born in July, what’s the dif, this all about Ralph being cheap, 

You didn’t see your 35 page happy birthday thread back in July?  So many people wishing you well.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Ralph wanted to put his AFL franchise in Miami, but he could not make a deal with Dade County to play in the Orange Bowl. Pat McGoder, whose name is on the ring had been trying to bring an NFL franchise to Buffalo, when he failed he teamed with Wilson to bring AFL franchise to Buffalo. His son, also named Pat, went to St.Joe’s, he was a friend of my brother. McGroder had a white Lincoln with standing red bison Bills logo on it. My father had season tickets from the start. I didn’t really start to pay attention until 1963.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.