Offsetting Penalties

Brand J

I don’t know what the answer should be, but in situations where 3 defenders commit a personal foul versus one on the other side, ALL penalties should not offset. Took the crew 10 minutes to essentially pick up the flags for deliberate and intentional malice.
It’s also part of the debate that a personal foul penalty should never offset with a lesser one (eg illegal formation). In that situation, how about subtracting the yardage from the bigger penalty and counting the down without awarding offensive yards gained/lost? Would that be fair? 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm fine with it the way it is. If anyone crosses the line the officials can disqualify them.

If you don't want it to offset, don't reciprocate. Dawkins clearly got into it, justified or not.

I think you open up a big can of worms if you try to change it, not to mention adding complexity.

1 minute ago, JayBaller10 said:

I don’t know what the answer should be, but in situations where 3 defenders commit a personal foul versus one on the other side, ALL penalties should not offset. Took the crew 10 minutes to essentially pick up the flags for deliberate and intentional malice.
It’s also part of the debate that a personal foul penalty should never offset with a lesser one (eg illegal formation). In that situation, how about subtracting the yardage from the bigger penalty and counting the down without awarding offensive yards gained/lost? Would that be fair? 

Considering then they have two penalties on the same play that aren't the same penalties the team making the call can only chose one penalty, I guess it's similar to that we could only accept/choose one penalty. Now had there been one presnap, in play and post play penalties than we could accept more than one. Yet not 100% sure but makes the only logical sense. 

39 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm fine with it the way it is. If anyone crosses the line the officials can disqualify them.

If you don't want it to offset, don't reciprocate. Dawkins clearly got into it, justified or not.

I think you open up a big can of worms if you try to change it, not to mention adding complexity.

So the rest of the Giants defense could have taken turns shoving Bills players to the ground too, once Dawkins had a personal foul on himself?  And it all would offset?

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

So the rest of the Giants defense could have taken turns shoving Bills players to the ground too, once Dawkins had a personal foul on himself?  And it all would offset?

That's the rule. If it continues to escalate the officials will start disqualifying people.

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Here's my pet peeve on this subject.  A DL jumps off sides but the play continues.  Then an O lineman commits a hold to prevent his QB from getting killed and penalties offset.

Yep the Free Play should mean ANY Penalty the offense commits just wipes the result of the play. Defense penalty still stands. 

example Josh gets a guy to jump Offside. Flag flys. A hold occurs and a deep shot TD. 

TD wiped out by the hold the defense penalty pre snap should still get enforced. 

they should run offsetting that way 

presnap cannot offset during play

during play cannot offset post play fouls 

etc. probably gets way to hard to manage at that point though. 

10 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Yep just like the late “shot” by Josh on the LBer could have been flagged too and just would have offset. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yeah offsetting penalties are weird. It's like that scene in Donnie Brasco where Al Pacino gives Johnny Depp the cash for Christmas, then opens the card from Depp and there's the exact same amount inside. Then they both say thanks and kiss each other on the cheeks. Weird

Great movie!

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

I swore I have seen instances where initially fouls offset and then after it continued, the extra flag on whoever was assessed separately...maybe I am misremembering but I am pretty sure I have seen that happen in a game. 

26 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yeah offsetting penalties are weird. It's like that scene in Donnie Brasco where Al Pacino gives Johnny Depp the cash for Christmas, then opens the card from Depp and there's the exact same amount inside. Then they both say thanks and kiss each other on the cheeks. Weird

It's all part of the game tho...because then they can show their wives "Look what I got for Xmas!" and it becomes "their" money, even tho it was technically the same money that they just used to give a present to the other person which would have come from a joint account...sneaky, sneaky...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.