Allen Rushing - Y/Y Comparison

ngbills

Allen is clearly more hesitant to run the ball this year. After a few weird looking runs in that Jets game its like they got in his head and told him to stop it. 

Attempts through 6 games

2023: 22 for 131

2022: 47 for 257

2021: 44 for 214

2020: 37 for 143

2019: 45 for 190

Edited by ngbills

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Ball is out quicker. I wonder what his release times are this year compared to past years.

I think his designed runs are down 1-2 per game.

It's actually surprisingly almost identical...something like 2.88 seconds to 2.87 seconds before last nights game.  If anything after last night's game it would be higher this year because he was holding onto it a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Allen is clearly more hesitant to run the ball this year. After a few weird looking runs in that Jets game its like they got in his head and told him to stop it. 

I think at times he is hurting the offense by NOT running. It's almost like an over-correction in the other direction.  He had plays last night that he could have made running where he made a low percentage throw instead. He needs to understand that AT TIMES, WHEN NEEDED, he is going to have to unleash that aspect of his game and not wait until they are desperate in the 4th quarter to do so.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Very surprising with all the short passing. How ?

Don't forget the Bills started off last year with a very similar short passing game. Wasn't til post-UCL Josh that they started airing it out, which likely was a result of short throws aggravating it more than longer ones.

Edited by Big Turk

Good. Josh is a QB with excellent escape ability not a RB to be jammed up into the hole 8 times a game and taking a beating.

I'd tell him to keep escaping and taking the easy yards but slide before contact and under no circumstances call his own number. 

Edited by BaaadThingsMan
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

All that needed to be done in the offseason was to tell Dorsey to cut the crap with the excessive designed runs, and to tell Allen to avoid the bone jarring hits.  Instead they have messed with him so much that a valuable skill set of his has now been neutered.  

Excessive? 4 per game is excessive?

11 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Isn't that what we wanted as fans though to protect his longevity in the league?

I don't want a broken JA17 in his early 30's like Cam Newton.

Its about smart running. Taking off and getting out of bounds. Not taking hits. Rolling out and taking off for the yards if they are there, throwing it away if not. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

Isn't that what we wanted as fans though to protect his longevity in the league?

Some fans who live in fear wanted that, but I never did.

Josh DOES the hitting when he runs. QBs get injured in the pocket way more than on the run. Josh running was a keystone of our offensive success. Newton's issues were more from refs allowing defenders to hit him dirty in the pocket than getting hit on runs.

RUN, JOSH, RUN!

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t think so. I also think that 4 number is high. I believe that includes sneaks.

Josh needs at least 3 called designed runs, with at least 1 coming on the opening drive. And at least 2-3 real scramble runs.

This keeps the Defense planning for it and sways the numbers game to our favor.

I'm fine with 4 or more, especially when a couple of them should be sneaks/tush-push when we only need 1 yard. Which we apparently even stopped doing THOSE last night. Ridiculous.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Josh needs at least 3 called designed runs, with at least 1 coming on the opening drive. And at least 2-3 real scramble runs.

This keeps the Defense planning for it and sways the numbers game to our favor.

I'm fine with 4 or more, especially when a couple of them should be sneaks/tush-push when we only need 1 yard. Which we apparently even stopped doing THOSE last night. Ridiculous.

Theres been games he’s had 8+. 4 for a QB like Allen doesn’t seem excessive. 

This year he’s down to 2 a game. We also have to remember most of the designed runs come inside the 10. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, Rubes said:

22 rushes already this year, after 6 games? Is that right? At this rate he's on pace for over 60 rushes this year.

Already? That is the wrong word. 

That would be half the attempts he has had over each of the last two seasons. He had over 120 in each of the last two years. 

Allen needs to run more IMO. He should be hitting about 90-100 attempts on the year in a 17 game season.  He needs to dial it back some, but taking away 20-30 attempts is the proper dialing it back IMO. 

30 minutes ago, Real McNasty said:

I was never one of those fans. Allen is at his best when he is unleashed and runs when he wants to. Our best chance at a Lombardi is with an unleashed Allen. As long as he goes fully unleashed in the playoffs hopefully we will be okay. 

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, ngbills said:

You should clarify these numbers re all adjusted for after 6 games.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Already? That is the wrong word. 

That would be half the attempts he has had over each of the last two seasons. He had over 120 in each of the last two years. 

Allen needs to run more IMO. He should be hitting about 90-100 attempts on the year in a 17 game season.  He needs to dial it back some, but taking away 20-30 attempts is the proper dialing it back IMO. 

I was never one of those fans. Allen is at his best when he is unleashed and runs when he wants to. Our best chance at a Lombardi is with an unleashed Allen. As long as he goes fully unleashed in the playoffs hopefully we will be okay. 

Ah, I gotcha. I thought the other years were his totals over the entire season, not just to the same point in the season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.