Per Instagram Diggs has his car stolen

boyst

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Nah. The Kia/Hyundai thing went viral but there are cars with vulnerabilities all over the market. A few years ago it was Audi Q7s for example. Some of that is demand in the market, some is just better opportunity. 

Look up fob cloning. Steal your car right out of your driveway.

Crap. Do you know what years. Just bought one. 

Edit- Quick google search just came up with people using some type of radio or repeater to trick cars with keyless entry into thinking the fob is next to the car but that works with most cars that have keyless entry. 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

16 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Crap. Do you know what years.

Like I said, a lot of it has to do with the (black) market for cars. Don't seem to be as popular now. Used to be Customs would crack open crates with stolen Q7s on their way to Israel or Eastern Europe pretty regularly.

It's like most crime, most of it is opportunity. Locking your car, just like locking your house, is usually an effective deterrent by itself.

ETA: I know with the Q7s windows would sometimes get smashed and they would use a computer that hooked into the OBD connecter to program a generic fob. I haven't kept up because they trended down but it's possible Audi managed to increase security on the car's computer.

Edited by LeviF
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Edit- Quick google search just came up with people using some type of radio or repeater to trick cars with keyless entry into thinking the fob is next to the car but that works with most cars that have keyless entry. 

you may have to worry about far more than theft with that car...trust me.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, teef said:

you may have to worry about far more than theft with that car...trust me.

I have a good warranty on it for a decent amount of time. So far it’s been fine(knock on wood). Did you have one, if so what issues should I prep for? It’s an issue getting an appointment with Audi for anything, was like 3-4 months out for an oil change. I just do them myself. They had my A6 for like 6 months when the alternators were failing left and right. 

13 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Like I said, a lot of it has to do with the (black) market for cars. Don't seem to be as popular now. Used to be Customs would crack open crates with stolen Q7s on their way to Israel or Eastern Europe pretty regularly.

It's like most crime, most of it is opportunity. Locking your car, just like locking your house, is usually an effective deterrent by itself.

ETA: I know with the Q7s windows would sometimes get smashed and they would use a computer that hooked into the OBD connecter to program a generic fob. I haven't kept up because they trended down but it's possible Audi managed to increase security on the car's computer.

Just saw a thread on the obd and programming a new key. I’ll get a lock for it and some AirTags. 

18 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I have a good warranty on it for a decent amount of time. So far it’s been fine(knock on wood). Did you have one, if so what issues should I prep for? It’s an issue getting an appointment with Audi for anything, was like 3-4 months out for an oil change. I just do them myself. They had my A6 for like 6 months when the alternators were failing left and right. 

i don't know if you'll ever run into it, or if i'm just unlucky, but i have a 2018 with 70k miles on it that i just learned needs 15k worth of work.  that's what the dealer told me.  i took it to a mechanic that i know well, and without giving him any indication of cost, he also quoted me 15k.  Apparently the rings below the cylinders wore out, and there's oil all throughout the engine, causing it to misfire.  when i asked how it could happen, they said it may not have been broken in correctly or regular maintenance wasn't completed, both which are nonsense.   it seems that the parts just aren't reliable.

as to what you said about getting work done...when i went to get my car from the dealer, the service department was packed, and booked out for over a month. i asked him if it was a volume issue, and he said no.  it was due to the fact that most were larger jobs, and one car could hold up a bay for days.  

sorry for going so off topic.  i'm bitter.

Edited by teef

5 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't know if you'll ever run into it, or if i'm just unlucky, but i have a 2018 with 70k miles on it that i just learned needs 15k worth of work.  that's what the dealer told me.  i took it to a mechanic that i know well, and without giving him any indication of cost, he also quoted me 15k.  Apparently the rings below the cylinders wore out, and there's oil all throughout the engine, causing it to misfire.  when i asked how it could happen, they said it may not have been broken in correctly or regular maintenance wasn't completed, both which is nonsense.   it seems that the parts just aren't reliable.

as to what you said about getting work done...when i went to get my car from the dealer, the service department was packed, and booked out for over a month. i asked him if it was a volume issue, and he said no.  it was due to the fact that most were larger jobs, and one car could hold up a bay for days.  

I hear you. VW turbocharged engines are known for having faulty piston rings. You probably have the 3.0L in that, but I have a Passat with the 2.0T that consumes oil. I'm just waiting for the time bomb to go off.

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I hear you. VW turbocharged engines are known for having faulty piston rings. You probably have the 3.0L in that, but I have a Passat with the 2.0T that consumes oil. I'm just waiting for the time bomb to go off.

i had heard that VWs have parts problems as well, but i didn't know about turbocharged engines and the rings.  it was a 3.0L.  i started having to put oil in it every 1000 miles or so about 6 months ago, so that should have been an indication.  i just never saw or smelled any oil.  it sucks because the car is in perfect condition, inside and out.   the dealer cleaned out the cylinders and replaced the spark plugs.  they hoped it would get me 6 months so i could look for a new car.  it lasted about 2 hours and now sits in my driveway.

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i don't know if you'll ever run into it, or if i'm just unlucky, but i have a 2018 with 70k miles on it that i just learned needs 15k worth of work.  that's what the dealer told me.  i took it to a mechanic that i know well, and without giving him any indication of cost, he also quoted me 15k.  Apparently the rings below the cylinders wore out, and there's oil all throughout the engine, causing it to misfire.  when i asked how it could happen, they said it may not have been broken in correctly or regular maintenance wasn't completed, both which is nonsense.   it seems that the parts just aren't reliable.

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out for you. The alternators/generators on the newer ones are failing a lot with the start stop and they didn't have the parts so a lot were sitting. I think they fixed the supply issue so idk if it's that still. I'm trying to think of a cheaper way to fix that but taking engine apart is always expensive. 

I have a 17 with 90k. The service history is fantastic. Everything done at dealership in Beverly Hills before work was needed. The Carfax really sold me on it. 

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

This is my second 3.0T(supercharger idk why it's a t) first one consumed a ton of oil and had carbon buildup that was an issue. Iirc it was about a quart a week. Guy with no brakes took care of that before anymore issues came about. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Wow the way things are going I'm just waiting for the story that someone's dog got loose and took a dump on Josh Allen's porch or Ed Oliver's horses escaped and are wandering through the town. I'm honestly surprised the plane didn't land in the wrong city.

I guess you didn't hear about the penises painted on Elam's lawn

17 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out for you. The alternators/generators on the newer ones are failing a lot with the start stop and they didn't have the parts so a lot were sitting. I think they fixed the supply issue so idk if it's that still. I'm trying to think of a cheaper way to fix that but taking engine apart is always expensive. 

I have a 17 with 90k. The service history is fantastic. Everything done at dealership in Beverly Hills before work was needed. The Carfax really sold me on it. 

This is my second 3.0T(supercharger idk why it's a t) first one consumed a ton of oil and had carbon buildup that was an issue. Iirc it was about a quart a week. Guy with no brakes took care of that before anymore issues came about. 

I bet the Beverly Hills Audi dealer has actual Germans working in their service department.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Yeah, that's the new trend.

Interesting article if you haven't encountered

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/auto-theft-canada-1.6953242

Police sources tell CBC News that large, established organized criminal gangs based in Montreal are behind most of the thefts, though it's become so lucrative, other groups with less technical skill are becoming involved.

Most thieves use one of three methods of attack.

The first type is a relay attack, which involves "capturing" the signal of a key fob, then replicating it to enter and start a vehicle. Thieves used to hold a large antenna in front of a house door, scanning for keys left inside, but the technology has advanced in the past year, becoming smaller and easier to use at a distance.

Keep your key fobs away from your front door or in a metal box or in an RFID pouch, can help with this one.  But it leaves the vehicle unable to be restarted unless they replicate a key or use this next technique:

Then there is the onboard diagnostic port, accessible via a small door under the steering wheel in all vehicles. Typically used by a mechanic to connect a handheld computer that can diagnose a problem, the access point is being used by thieves to reprogram the car to understand a new key they've made for it.

This is the one mentioned above where sometimes thieves break a window to gain access, but to maintain maximum sale value, they try to get the car to unlock using the first type of attack (or pick the door lock), then reprogram it to work with a new key unless......

The latest attack method involves the Controller Area Network (CAN bus), which acts similar to a nervous system for vehicles, enabling communication between various components of the car. Thieves connect to one of multiple nodes from the exterior of the vehicle, commanding it to unlock and start the engine.

The process may take only seconds.

"It's a weak point," said Natalie Cara of the CAN bus. She's seen her car, a Lexus RX350, stolen three times in less than a year, the first time from her Ontario home in 2022. It was later recovered and returned. 

"I asked Lexus what they're doing about this and they said they're working on it."

And of course once they get it unlocked and the engine started, they can take it away and clone a key using the onboard diagnostic port.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, k2mountain said:

Huh?

I thought modern cars (with the exception of Kia/Hyundai) were theft proof.

Even with the July Mercedes Benz dealer theft in Clarence, they had to break into the key locker to steal cars.

We all wish!  Unfortunately thieves have figured out high-tech ways around the high-tech anti-theft ways.

20 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Didn't he also leave one on some train tracks in Miami lol

Near the train tracks.  Supposedly someone else was driving (Diggs not in city at the time) and had a flat tire late at night.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, teef said:

i don't know if you'll ever run into it, or if i'm just unlucky, but i have a 2018 with 70k miles on it that i just learned needs 15k worth of work.  that's what the dealer told me.  i took it to a mechanic that i know well, and without giving him any indication of cost, he also quoted me 15k.  Apparently the rings below the cylinders wore out, and there's oil all throughout the engine, causing it to misfire.  when i asked how it could happen, they said it may not have been broken in correctly or regular maintenance wasn't completed, both which are nonsense.   it seems that the parts just aren't reliable.

15k for a 5 year old car? That’s criminal!! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.