McDermott Hot Seat?

Mark92

Just now, SUNY_amherst said:

I think it is clear that everyone's post here is nothing but their opinion. Obviously we can't know with "absolute certainty" because Allen & Diggs play for Buffalo and Sean McDermott

OH, OK! So you're willing to jettison the winningest coach in team history for a CHANCE under a 70 year old coach.

Sounds good, where do I sign up

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

McDermott isn't on the hot seat, obviously.  

And as someone who has been lukewarm on his ability to bring us a Super Bowl, he's impressed me so far this season.  I do believe that with his defensive style, this team is better suited to win deep in the Playoffs.

That being said....

Way too many losses like this under his tenure.  Patrick Mahomes looks well on his way to another season of home playoff games, while the Bills look completely disjointed against the Jets and were woefully unprepared for the London game.   Another year, another season of inexplicable losses that we likely look back on as the reason we lose out on the 1 seed.

....and this year, we have the added bonus of Miami in division, a team that might be a notch below Buffalo and KC, but has an Offense that doesn't seem prone to JV games like ours can put forth.   If they continue in keeping Tua upright, they don't look like a team that is going to slip up against a NYJ or Jax. 

Let his questionable coaching decisions continue to mount up..taking a redeye flight to London bc family time was more important than arriving early is just another head scratcher from a coach who has a mounting history of head scratchers

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Now, I’m just going to see myself out of this.  

I'm going to go ahead and help you with that.

And it's not just because you've already been warned about crusading in the last 24 hrs.

Or that you're bringing political nonsense in here.

Or that your insulting other members of this community.

It's that I think you are having an episode that requires intervention from a medical professional and that you are unaware of it.

So I am going to lock you out of here for a while in the hope that you will put down your phone/get off your computer and go seek the help that you need.

I hope things work out well for you.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Remember when we were the laughing stock of the NFL for years? That’s exactly what we would be if the Bills fired McDermott. I know it’s the silent majority that only comes out after losses but you people make this board insufferable, which is why I rarely post.

You guys probably would have wanted Marv Levy fired after his fourth year or Andy Reid fired after his fifth year in KC. Fact is if the people that want McDermott fired ran this team they would be firing everyone every year like it’s a game of madden.

McDermott may be a defensive mind but the numbers show he is usually one of the more aggressive coaches in the league on offense. 

One of the only things I would consider in the off-season is offering Kliff Kingsbury a boat load of money to leave Thailand and run the offense if things look shaky throughout the rest of the year.

But firing McDermott would put us back in laughing stock of the league status.

• Disagree 1

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

McDermott isn't on the hot seat, obviously.  

And as someone who has been lukewarm on his ability to bring us a Super Bowl, he's impressed me so far this season.  I do believe that with his defensive style, this team is better suited to win deep in the Playoffs.

That being said....

Way too many losses like this under his tenure.  Patrick Mahomes looks well on his way to another season of home playoff games, while the Bills look completely disjointed against the Jets and were woefully unprepared for the London game.   Another year, another season of inexplicable losses that we likely look back on as the reason we lose out on the 1 seed.

....and this year, we have the added bonus of Miami in division, a team that might be a notch below Buffalo and KC, but has an Offense that doesn't seem prone to JV games like ours can put forth.   If they continue in keeping Tua upright, they don't look like a team that is going to slip up against a NYJ or Jax. 

I would also add the Jets into the mix if Zach can be an effective game manager. Although his pass right before the half yesterday was comical which cost the Jets a FG because time ran out. Also, the INT in the 4th quarter was a bad throw, but otherwise he played decent enough to get a win in Denver. They just need to let Hall and G. Wilson make plays along with that defense then they will be in the WC mix until the end of the season.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

I would also add the Jets into the mix if Zach can be an effective game manager. Although his pass right before the half yesterday was comical which cost the Jets a FG because time ran out. Also, the INT in the 4th quarter was a bad throw, but otherwise he played decent enough to get a win in Denver. They just need to let Hall and G. Wilson make plays along with that defense then they will be in the WC mix until the end of the season.

Yea, the AFC looks like a jumbled mess with most of the conference at 3-2 or 2-3 and of the 4-1 teams, KC keeps winning close games with help from the refs and Miami looks elite, yet was blown out by the best team they've faced.  

Edited by SCBills

11 minutes ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I think the biggest difference between Belichick and McDermott is that Belichick is able to win in many different ways.

Lets not act like he blew everyone out for 20 years because of Tom Brady. They won many games where they weren't their best or the other team even had more talent. 

For the Bills to win, Allen has to dominate the opponent. We aren't winning rock fights 17-16 and stuff. That's what is needed though if you want a Super Bowl

Again yes Belichick can be great at times, but lately he hasn't been and let's not forget he also put that team together he has now. He is the gm and coach and last year and this year especially has been awfully bad. I'm not discrediting past success but rightnow he looks like a mediocre and at times bad coach.

1 hour ago, SUNY_amherst said:

I think the biggest difference between Belichick and McDermott is that Belichick is able to win in many different ways.

Lets not act like he blew everyone out for 20 years because of Tom Brady. They won many games where they weren't their best or the other team even had more talent. 

For the Bills to win, Allen has to dominate the opponent. We aren't winning rock fights 17-16 and stuff. That's what is needed though if you want a Super Bowl

He dominated for 20 years because he is a great defensive coach who had McDaniels and Tom Brady. All McD needs is a Josh McDaniel because he's already got a Tom Brady (or reasonable facsimile). We will see this year if Dorsey can suck it up or not.

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Judging to the caustic reactions to the OP, people around here LOVE being mediocre.  McD still has not figured out timeouts, challenges, etc.  Can't find an OC.  Can't get the team into a rhythm.  Great DC, not a HC.  

"mediocre"

When's the last time this team has been average? Which is, after all, the meaning of mediocre.

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

"mediocre"

When's the last time this team has been average? Which is, after all, the meaning of mediocre.

you know what I mean.  This team is a continual, and will be a continual, make the playoffs and lose team.  Perhaps you were a 90's Dolphins fan?  

2 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Then we may hear the McDermott drone of how teams didn’t listen to his process. It’s been over seven years, he needs to have sustained energy.  I’m sure players like him and respect him.  Just had so many problems bringing the intensity which we saw Pederson bring.  Which still is alarming because he didn’t bring the team until Friday, how prepared would Levy have been, he would’ve been focused, composed, and building up a playing scheme around the pitch.  So many different issues wherein he still acts like a spoiled brat and with a padded win-loss ratio and breaking the drought I think the first chip in his armor is exposed.  

To me it feels like after admitting he didn’t bring the energy, waiting until Friday, and not remembering how Doug Pederson had smoked him last time.  Sean didn’t take it seriously he’s not as focused as Marc Levy, he’s not as schematically focused as Levy, and he’s not going to try and learn one hundred percent the perfectionism of Marv.  Bottom line is, is that until McDermott actually takes it seriously 24/7 he’s got no business being an NFL HC end of story.  

I can't imagine that McD did not take the Jags seriously. Everybody knows they have a stout D and many good players at skill positions on O. Are we sure that the travel arrangements were his call to begin with?

50 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

you know what I mean.  This team is a continual, and will be a continual, make the playoffs and lose team.  Perhaps you were a 90's Dolphins fan?  

All but one team that makes the playoffs loses. This is true every single year. 

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Zolack and Bertan on Boston's 98.5 the Sports Hub speculating that Bill Belichick could end up in Buffalo and winning multiple Super Bowls with our roster.

Just one before I die - that's all I want.

McDermott going to step back and hire a defensive coordinator next season I guess.

2 minutes ago, BillStime said:

Zolack and Bertan on Boston's 98.5 the Sports Hub speculating that Bill Belichick could end up in Buffalo and winning multiple Super Bowls with our roster.

Just one before I die - that's all I want.

I doubt McDermott is getting fired. Here in the NYC area on WFAN, Esiason is speculating that if Bill and the Pats part ways then he would love to coach the Giants. Just speculation on Boomer's part but Bill does have a history with the Giants. At around 70 years old would he be interested in going through a rebuild. I doubt it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.