Why weren’t the Bills allowed to play on the grass?

Virgil

3 hours ago, Bubba Gump said:

The big issue is the Bills were sleep walking. That arriving early on Friday was the biggest problem. Stupid decision. 

Players being injured on turf is random. The soccer field is grass, for football they roll out the turf. Like Rodgers unfortunately today Bills got hurt. This should be the #1 priority for the players in the next bargaining agreement. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, cgang said:

I feel sorry for the fans that traveled to London.  They were great today; they showed up and were loud.  I want to stay excited for the giants game next week (driving up there from Virginia with a group) but it’s hard with the letdown today and all the injuries.  

We will rally again. Go to next week's game and be as loud as you can. 

Only the bandwagon fans are giving up, but not us.

39 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

If the Bills home field was natural grass,  these complaints might hold water, but when they play on turf at their home field (and have for decades), I don't get the complaints.

I’m guessing the crap they roll out and install temporarily isn’t exactly the same as the turf at an NFL stadium. 

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

Because it’s not an exact science.  They could have just as easily been injured 

But that argument goes both ways. It's not an exact science so can't prove the field had anything to do with the injuries either.

There was an article in todays Athletic that talked about how they put the artificial turf over the grass, but no explanation as to why.  Only thing I can think of is the Premier League didn't want their grass field chewed up by a bunch of barbaric Americans

54 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

We will rally again. Go to next week's game and be as loud as you can. 

Only the bandwagon fans are giving up, but not us.

Oh I’ll be there.  I’ll snap out of this funk by tomorrow and then start packing for the 8 hr drive to WNY and the tailgate/game next weekend.  It’s going to be a little windy and a little wet but I don’t care.  The team (esp the D) is going to need us get really loud for Coach Daboll’s reunion.  I’ll give myself just the next 12 hours to be pissed off and dejected. 

Edited by cgang
  • Like (+1) 1

Who suggests /controls what cleats players wear?  Bills can't control other stadiums turf but they can control what footwear they are wearing.  They should be using analytics for these decisions.  I'd rather have players have less traction if it would prevent injuries.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

This. Injuries happen. We had a lot of luck years past and now that’s regressing. 

2021 and 2022 the Bills were hit decently by injuries. 2019 and 2020 were  lucky year injury wise (although the Bills WR core was destroyed by injury towards the end of 2020). I was hoping that this year the injury front would be a bit different but the it’s starting to look like last season but with more serious injuries sprinkled in.

3 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I heard someone say earlier this week that the premiere league won’t let the grass be used for anything other than their games. There have been issues in the past with the fields being ripped up too much after an NFL game. If that’s the case, the NFL gave the premiere league way too much leverage. 

Wouldn't there be the ability for the nfl to ship and have handy the same grass sheets the Premiere league uses.  The NFL use their paid for turf it gèts stored or recycled on the sheets that were too damaged. The PL has their turf.  Everyone wins.

Edited by AuntieEm

58 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But that argument goes both ways. It's not an exact science so can't prove the field had anything to do with the injuries either.

There was an article in today’s Athletic that talked about how they put the artificial turf over the grass, but no explanation as to why.  Only thing I can think of is the Premier League didn't want their grass field chewed up by a bunch of barbaric Americans

You’re not wrong.  And maybe I’m buying into what’s TJ said a little too much.  Post game, he said it felt like they were playing on concrete.  Now, does that mean everyone will get hurt?  No.  

But does it make you wonder if it contributed to the injuries that happened?

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You’re not wrong.  And maybe I’m buying into what’s TJ said a little too much.  Post game, he said it felt like they were playing on concrete.  Now, does that mean everyone will get hurt?  No.  

But does it make you wonder if it contributed to the injuries that happened?

And I'm not arguing with you either that artificial turf doesn't increase injuries, but league studies haven't proved that and have faulted other studies, so no definitive proof either way.

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

And I'm not arguing with you either that artificial turf doesn't increase injuries, but league studies haven't proved that and have faulted other studies, so no definitive proof either way.

I think this is one of those things that I blindly listen to the players on, regardless of what the science say.  The same way you just know if your body is off, seriously hurt, etc, is the same way I trust when all the players say that grass is better. But 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

The data is very clear that grass fields yield less injuries esp non contact injuries. The NFL for the quality of the product and the safety of the players should mandate a switch to grass next season. Injuries are the worst part of football. If there is something reasonable that can prevent injuries then do it

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I think this is one of those things that I blindly listen to the players on, regardless of what the science say.  The same way you just know if your body is off, seriously hurt, etc, is the same way I trust when all the players say that grass is better. But 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah but money does talk too!

I 'd still like to know why they put the turf down over the grass though? Was it fear of damaging the soccer pitch?

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t always feel like anecdotes and intuition are good things to follow but when the data on injuries is in line with intuition then you have to make a change

If you haven't watched a premier league soccer match, the fields are pristine. Also if you are not aware, soccer is religion over there.  Did you know there are over 40,000 soccer clubs in England? Basically everyone and their brother plays. Anything that would comprise their field would never happen.  

The grass field at Tottenham Hotspur is designed specifically for soccer.   

The type of grass, tensile strength, moisture level, base layer, sub-layer, core, etc.. would not hold up to the rigors of an NFL game, ultimately resulting in hazardous conditions. 

this is total nonsense.  Tell London if they want another game, it's on the grass.  

8 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

The grass field at Tottenham Hotspur is designed specifically for soccer.   

The type of grass, tensile strength, moisture level, base layer, sub-layer, core, etc.. would not hold up to the rigors of an NFL game, ultimately resulting in hazardous conditions. 

hazardous conditions?  Really, from one game?  I doubt it.  It might get chewed up, but then have another field ready.  London and the stadium make a ton of $$ from this game.  If they can't provide a proper field, move it to Dublin or Spain.  (better yet, cancel the whole Europe thing) 

Edited by RyanC883

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.