Bills vs Jags Postgame thread

SCBills

Who the hell decided to fly the team in at the end of the week???  

Travis Etienne Jr.: Acclimation to London played “huge part” in Jaguars win

By

Mike Florio

Published October 9, 2023 10:48 AM

For the first time ever, an NFL team played two games on two Sundays in London. After the game, one of the key contributors to Jacksonville’s upset win over the Bills pointed to the acclimation as a big factor in the victory.

“I felt like it really created a great edge for us,” running back Travis Etienne Jr. told PFT by phone from London, just before the Jaguars were preparing to go wheels up to America. “Just knowing how I felt [last Sunday] in the Falcons game, the first game that we had out here and having the whole week out here, just being able to get our bodies adjusted and not having to have that jet lag on us throughout the game. I feel like it played a huge part.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/travis-etienne-acclimation-to-london-played-huge-part-in-jaguars-win

Pissed me off before the game, and after the injuries, pisses me off even more today.  What- did they save some £££ on hotel rooms...

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Thats one away from 50%.  While that does go up and down every week, the top average is 51%.  How many of those 3rd downs were a result from someone dropping the ball, someone not getting to the first down marker after getting the ball? Allen missed some passes sure.  All QBs miss some passes.  His receivers let him down all game long.

The offense looked disjointed more than anything else. 

There were some inopportune drops, but by and large drops weren't "the issue". We have had those games, and this one didn't seem like it. But that could be the early AM cocktails clouding my memory. Knox had the worst day with 50% catch. Davis and Cook had a drop each on third down that come to mind. Otherwise both those guys had good days receiving minus those two moments.

I will be curious to look at the A-22 this week. I recall one or two throws were Josh looked at then away from open receivers. Off the top of my head the Cook drop was one of those decisions. But by and large this game didn't feel like it was on Josh. And it didn't feel like it was on the receivers either. It felt like a culmination of a handful of small moments and decisions across the entire offense. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore/_/gameId/401547228

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

How can we stop them consistently with 4 missing defensive starters?

first off, and it's been said a bunch so repeating it is getting old...

stop blitzing/rushing 5/6 when we are not getting to him or causing him any problems. we sacked him several times and it didn't matter. we needed help in the secondary and we didn't give it. for christs sake, hyde was covering ridley 1-1.  sure hyde played well, but that shouldn't be the case

our gameplan against them was pure garbage. and while there were many areas of concern the fact is we did not adapt, we did not look to change, and we did not come prepared to begin with - the biggest case in point is having von play just 20 snaps against a high octane offense on turf. we don't need to risk his injury just to get him reps in game time. that turf was terrible. we should have elevated anoku when atlanta poached him. i only hope we can get him back in 2 or 3 weeks when they hopefully release him.

leaving elam on single coverage and getting him off the wr, specifically ridley, was a terrible call. let him press. have him get help in a zone press coverage scheme while he mans up on ridley. no one else was a threat yesterday.

13 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

That's fair.

Allen played well late in the game. It was too little to late. You can't sleep walking through 3 quarters. 

It was a total team loss from top to bottom including coaching. 

Also, I'm putting an extra emphasiz on Allen's two poor throws to a wide open Diggs. He has to throw a better ball than that. It deprived the Bills of two easy TDs. I put that largely on Allen. Elite QBs can't do that let alone 2xs in a game. That left a bitter taste in my mouth 

You talking about the 50 air yard pass that Josh threw to the spot Diggs settled down in the empty spot of the zone coverage?  You might want to watch that play again.  I assume the other one was the one that Diggs lost the ball on?  You might want to just rethink that one too.

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I want to see the Bills win. Today wasn't a winning formula. It was bad. It wasn't a fun watch. Very frustrating. 

True but you are putting the blame in the wrong place.

12 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Diggs was wide open. Both should have been TDs. Neither was a great throw by any stretch. It was very Tua like. 

Diggs was wide open on that first one because he settled into a spot in the zone. It was a 50 yard pass.  Ball has travel time. He had two defenders in front of him and two defenders behind him.  When is the last time you seen Diggs run 50 yards after a catch with 4 defenders closing on him while the ball is in the air?  That may have looked like a missed TD pass on TV in the moment. Go to NFL.com and watch the highlight.  I assure you it wasn't.

The second one Diggs lost the ball.  Thats on him.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Travis Etienne literally comes out and says the travel disparity played a part in the game.  

Called it a huge advantage for them. 

All week long McDermott said they were relying on their sports science and in hindsight it might have been better to go out earlier. 

What I don't understand is how the offense could be hit with the symptoms of jet lag and while sleepwalking for 3/4 of the game (with the one TD drive before the 1st half as the exception) yet the defense, already out a couple starters and losing a few more during the course of the game, in what can only be described as a gut check performance showed far fewer effects of the time zone difference.  Being out on the field for 2/3 of the game is what did them in.  While the results were not perfect the effort was definitely there.   But the offense, 29 yards rushing for the game?  Come on.  It was a 4 point game going into the 4th and they abandoned the run in the 1st half.

I don't mind the rest disadvantage as far as it hurt us on the scoreboard - that stuff happens in various forms to all teams throughout the year, you have to overcome it. 

But combining it with the dog**** turf, I'm pretty certain that this contributed to our major injuries. The London experiment as a whole needs to be thrown in the trash. 

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Diggs was wide open on that first one because he settled into a spot in the zone. It was a 50 yard pass.  Ball has travel time. He had two defenders in front of him and two defenders behind him.  When is the last time you seen Diggs run 50 yards after a catch with 4 defenders closing on him while the ball is in the air?  That may have looked like a missed TD pass on TV in the moment. Go to NFL.com and watch the highlight.  I assure you it wasn't.

The second one Diggs lost the ball.  Thats on him.

Perhaps that's true but I believe Warner or Rich E. live stated a better throw would have been a TD. 

16 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

You talking about the 50 air yard pass that Josh threw to the spot Diggs settled down in the empty spot of the zone coverage?  You might want to watch that play again.  I assume the other one was the one that Diggs lost the ball on?  You might want to just rethink that one too.

True but you are putting the blame in the wrong place.

No I'm not Scott. The Bills offense had scored 7 points halfway through the 4th quarter. It's not like the Jags D is the 49erD. They are average at best. 

Allen had plenty of opportunities to run and get some big chunk yards. He could have made some better throws. The Cook drop was a hot pass with poor touch. He's check downs weren't very effective for 3.5 quarters. Anything he did was ineffective. 

Is it all on Allen? No no and no. Dorsey sucked, the run game sucked, dropped passes, oline sucked, and Allen was decent, nothing special, and outplayed by Lawrence. 

Allen woke up with 7 minutes to go in the game. Brock Purdy looks better than any QB in the league. He's the MVP of the league. 

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Perhaps that's true but I believe Warner or Rich E. live stated a better throw would have been a TD. 

Go watch the highlight. Josh chucked it to a spot in the zone.  It was a big clean area but again Diggs was in the middle of basically a triangle of defenders.  He wasn't running 50 more yards for a TD. I don't care where Josh put that ball.

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

No I'm not Scott. The Bills offense had scored 7 points halfway through the 4th quarter. It's not like the Jags D is the 49erD. They are average at best. 

Allen had plenty of opportunities to run and get some big chunk yards. He could have made some better throws. The Cook drop was a hot pass with poor touch. He's check downs weren't very effective for 3.5 quarters. Anything he did was ineffective. 

Is it all on Allen? No no and no. Dorsey sucked, the run game sucked, dropped passes, oline sucked, and Allen was decent, nothing special, and outplayed by Lawrence. 

Allen woke up with 7 minutes to go in the game. Brock Purdy looks better than any QB in the league. He's the MVP of the league. 

Yeah ya are.  All you keep talking about is two passes that should of supposedly been TDs.

46 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Thats one away from 50%.  While that does go up and down every week, the top average is 51%.  How many of those 3rd downs were a result from someone dropping the ball, someone not getting to the first down marker after getting the ball? Allen missed some passes sure.  All QBs miss some passes.  His receivers let him down all game long.

The camera shows a QB on the sideline hardly any time at all.  You have no idea what Josh does or anyone does on the sideline for most of the game.  They show one glimpse of him sitting on the bench and you assume in a 3 hour period that is all he does.  Just stop man.  We didn't lose this game over some mythical pep talk.

That's fair. I saw an offense led by Allen sleep walking for 3.5 quarters. I saw the offense punt, punt, punt, and punt some more. Allen's greatness wasn't good enough. 

Is that fair? 

1 minute ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Game would have been totally different if Diggs didn’t get punked and have that long ball ripped out of his hands like a puss puss. He was so mad that happened. Maybe it will humble him. 

The only reliable,special, and elite guys on the Bills offense are Allen and Diggs. That's really problematic because the Bills lack explosive weapons. 

9 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Go watch the highlight. Josh chucked it to a spot in the zone.  It was a big clean area but again Diggs was in the middle of basically a triangle of defenders.  He wasn't running 50 more yards for a TD. I don't care where Josh put that ball.

Yeah ya are.  All you keep talking about is two passes that should of supposedly been TDs.

I guess we will disagree to disagree. I watched the replays and I still think Allen's passes were not accurate. Granted he did have a defender in his face on one of them. Perhaps my expectations of Allen are too high. I want my elite QB to put the out where his receivers can catch and run to the endzone. That includes bombs to open WRs. 

47 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

Game would have been totally different if Diggs didn’t get punked and have that long ball ripped out of his hands like a puss puss. He was so mad that happened. Maybe it will humble him. 

Really?

So how many games has Diggs been the only receiver to step up?

He lost a jump ball and not even a 50/50 one as I think the defender made a great play to have the better leverage at the catch point.

Barking up the wrong tree if you think Diggs is not a competitor.

2 hours ago, boyst said:

first off, and it's been said a bunch so repeating it is getting old...

stop blitzing/rushing 5/6 when we are not getting to him or causing him any problems. we sacked him several times and it didn't matter. we needed help in the secondary and we didn't give it. for christs sake, hyde was covering ridley 1-1.  sure hyde played well, but that shouldn't be the case

our gameplan against them was pure garbage. and while there were many areas of concern the fact is we did not adapt, we did not look to change, and we did not come prepared to begin with - the biggest case in point is having von play just 20 snaps against a high octane offense on turf. we don't need to risk his injury just to get him reps in game time. that turf was terrible. we should have elevated anoku when atlanta poached him. i only hope we can get him back in 2 or 3 weeks when they hopefully release him.

leaving elam on single coverage and getting him off the wr, specifically ridley, was a terrible call. let him press. have him get help in a zone press coverage scheme while he mans up on ridley. no one else was a threat yesterday.

What we did worked fine when our defense was fine. What we did this week didn't work because affected by missing an interior starter. A starting LB that got hurt on the opening series, both of our starting DBs out which is why Ridley had his way with Elam. Rousseau was out. You may not wanna look at it that way but it was a huge factor. You're one of those where our entire defense could be 11 backups and would say "the problem is our scheme". Not having guys that are very good high profile starters matters

Edited by Buffalo03

Just now, Buffalo03 said:

What we did worked fine when our defense was fine. What we did this week didn't work because affected by missing an interior starter. A starting LB that got hurt on the opening series, both of our starting DBs out which is why Ridley had his way with Elam. Rousseau was out you may not wanna look at it that way but it was a huge factor. You're one of those where our entire defense could be 11 backups and would say "the problem is our scheme". Not having guys that are very good high profile starters matters

We didn't change our scheme going in with parts that weren't the same as original parts.

Concepts and design must change and adapt to a players ability. We didn't change

Elam was left to fall on his face. We insisted on an ineffective rush/blitz that only put up pretty sack stats but didn't help the defense as a unit. We had poor designs on 3rd downs (remember we held them to 3rd and 10 more than once) and blew it.

I don't need perfect but I need better than that. 

1 minute ago, boyst said:

We didn't change our scheme going in with parts that weren't the same as original parts.

Concepts and design must change and adapt to a players ability. We didn't change

Elam was left to fall on his face. We insisted on an ineffective rush/blitz that only put up pretty sack stats but didn't help the defense as a unit. We had poor designs on 3rd downs (remember we held them to 3rd and 10 more than once) and blew it.

I don't need perfect but I need better than that. 

Changing our scheme with a downgrade in talent doesn't really help much. Eventually the lack of talent is going to show and be a problem. That's why they are backups

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Changing our scheme with a downgrade in talent doesn't really help much. Eventually the lack of talent is going to show and be a problem. That's why they are backups

Of course, I agree. But changing our scheme to match the level of talent must be done to ensure the best possibility of contention for those that are thrust into positions of play.

How this staff thought we had a capable backup in Williams blows my mind. Maybe he will get there but the dude was LOST. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.