Hey MAGA- When was America ever great?

I see people saying Make America Great Again…But I don’t ever see what they mean when they say it…

Now, obviously there are plenty of things that are great now, i don’t even need to say…But not everything is better off…

And if you believe that there was a time in our past, when we were better off at something than we are now, when and what was it?

So, I’ll start with something simple…

In 1960, 75% of black children lived in a two parent households…Today, that number is down to 43% by some reports…

Kids living in a single parent household are at greater risk to drop out of school, as well as getting into criminality and going to jail…

Make America Great Again 👍

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Pretty much any time except the trump years, the slavery years (granted it was the ridiculous norm),  The civil war (one side was great thankfully we won), the reneging on the Indian treaties and I'm sure I can come up with a few more exceptions.

If I had to pick one time it would be WW2.  The greatest generation.  Amazing people that are almost all gone.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever
  • Haha (+1) 1

America will never be great again, it's a giant shithole - nasty people, rich people in the business

of crushing the middle class, the divisions created by the communists, and now the country has been over run by invaders.

The tremendous debt will never be paid, some sort of bankruptcy will occur wrecking the value of the dollar.

It's all over for America.

Edited by Unforgiven
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

America will never be great again, it's a giant shithole - nasty people, rich people in the business

of crushing us, the divisions created by the communists, and now the country has been over run by invaders.

The tremendous debt will never be paid, some sort of bankruptcy will occur wrecking the value of the dollar.

We are still great.  Go away...We'll be uber great.

• Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

of crushing the middle class, the divisions created by the communists, and now the country has been over run by invaders.

And yet we keep on chugging away

57 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I see people saying Make America Great Again…But I don’t ever see what they mean when they say it…

Now, obviously there are plenty of things that are great now, i don’t even need to say…But not everything is better off…

And if you believe that there was a time in our past, when we were better off at something than we are now, when and what was it?

In 1960, 75% of black children lived in a two parent households…Today, that number is down to 43% by some reports…

Kids living in a single parent household are at greater risk to drop out of school, as well as getting into criminality and going to jail…

That is some good fact-finding

What was the amount of white families that have one parent? I’m sure that number was in there somewhere

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

We are still great.  Go away...We'll be uber great.

I don’t know man…I feel like identity politics has taken us backwards with regards to race relations…

I feel like our country is more racist now than in the ‘90s…

You can’t teach society that 1 group of people is inherently evil simply because of skin color, and then not expect negative consequences as a result…That same rationale was used to justify slavery…

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t know man…I feel like identity politics has taken us backwards with regards to race relations…

I feel like our country is more racist now than in the ‘90s…

You can’t teach society that 1 group of people is inherently evil simply because of skin color, and then not expect negative consequences as a result…That same rationale was used to justify slavery…

Wow. The wizard gave u a brain

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Pretty much any time except the trump years, the slavery years (granted it was the ridiculous norm),  The civil war (one side was great thankfully we won), the reneging on the Indian treaties and I'm sure I can come up with a few more exceptions.

If I had to pick one time it would be WW2.  The greatest generation.  Amazing people that are almost all gone.

how about Biden and his drug and crime bills which resulted in tens of millions of minorities imprisoned at an incredibly high rate destroying generations of families? All the problems modern minorities face is due to one man. 

• Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

how about Biden and his drug and crime bills which resulted in tens of millions of minorities imprisoned at an incredibly high rate destroying generations of families? All the problems modern minorities face is due to one man. 

Remember when all those confederate monuments were put up in the 1920's....

• Vomit 1

Just now, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Remember when all those confederate monuments were put up in the 1920's....

Ignorance and denial lol. Just deflecting. Biden has done far more damage to this country than any modern politician and it’s not close. Did trump imprison countless millions of minorities? Didn’t think so 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Ignorance and denial lol. Just deflecting. Biden has done far more damage to this country than any modern politician and it’s not close. Did trump imprison countless millions of minorities? Didn’t think so 

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/search/?q=LOT 13092&fi=number&op=PHRASE&va=exact&co!=coll&sg=true&st=gallery

• Vomit 1

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Didn't you say you're black?

I'm not gonna presume to speak for your experiences, but while 1960 may have had stronger family structures, it also had official segregation (really American apartheid) in a huge swath of the country, and lots of other things that don't exactly look like they were "great" in retrospect.

That's what happens with nostalgia. When you really examine what life was like, must people have no interest in going back to some bygone age.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I’ll take it that you support it then. Classy 

yeah, in the deep south these a$$hats were considered classy in 1964.  In some places, they still are.  whadda u think?  The blonde kid at the counter could have taken any one of those weasels but they hunt in packs....

• Vomit 1

11 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Didn't you say you're black?

I'm not gonna presume to speak for your experiences, but while 1960 may have had stronger family structures, it also had official segregation (really American apartheid) in a huge swath of the country, and lots of other things that don't exactly look like they were "great" in retrospect.

That's what happens with nostalgia. When you really examine what life was like, must people have no interest in going back to some bygone age.

Two things can be true at the same time. 

The fall/destruction of the nuclear family, specifically in the black community, is a massive issue … and one that doesn’t seem to have any course correction on the horizon. 

Even with all the advances we’ve made societally, how much better off are those communities? 

They are targeted by white progressives with policies to keep them reliant upon the government, while slowly eroding the ethical fabric as white execs push pop culture that glorifies moral decay.  

Despite the lip service being paid by those who “support” them, this is all by design.  Not for the betterment of black communities, but for continued hopelessness, leading to increased reliance on those who feed them crumbs. 

So while, yes, we no longer have slavery or apartheid, they are being targeted, daily, by political and cultural warfare.  Most of it keeping them static or making things worse. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 10/6/2023 at 6:13 PM, Unforgiven said:

It’s not that bad.  We have the Democrats saying all white people are racist in order to get votes and stay in power.  They could give two ***** about the black community.   This is a great country who was dumb enough to vote for incompetent people and stupid social experiments again, attempting only to keep power and with no intention of improving lives for the whole country.  We get some common sense back in government be it red or blue, we’ll get back on track. But this clown show has to go.  What a mess.  

Edited by Irv
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Two things can be true at the same time. 

The fall/destruction of the nuclear family, specifically in the black community, is a massive issue … and one that doesn’t seem to have any course correction on the horizon. 

Even with all the advances we’ve made societally, how much better off are those communities? 

They are targeted by white progressives with policies to keep them reliant upon the government, while slowly eroding the ethical fabric as white execs push pop culture that glorifies moral decay.  

Despite the lip service being paid by those who “support” them, this is all by design.  Not for the betterment of black communities, but for continued hopelessness, leading to increased reliance on those who feed them crumbs. 

So while, yes, we no longer have slavery or apartheid, they are being targeted, daily, by political and cultural warfare.  Most of it keeping them static or making things worse. 

The question was this: Make America Great Again like the way it was in [blank] year. 

So the suggestion was: how about 1960?

So the truth is: yeah, how about official segregation, black kids can't go to the University of Mississippi or Alabama, black people are precluded from having their votes counted, etc., etc. And the Cold War was at its peak, soon to be followed by the US and USSR coming to the brink of a nuclear war over Soviet missiles in Cuba. Oh, and life expectancy for men in 1960? 66.6 years.

So maybe 1960 isn't the best example?

Maybe there's a better year? Maybe not.

I get it. People see today's problems and are nostalgic for a bygone era. I would love to see a world again in which the term "school shooting" didn't exist. But nostalgia is no substitute for hard-eyed realism. We have problems, and the solution to those problems exists in looking forward, not backward to some legendary age when all was right with America.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

The question was this: Make America Great Again like the way it was in [blank] year. 

So the suggestion was: how about 1960?

So the truth is: yeah, how about official segregation, black kids can't go to the University of Mississippi or Alabama, black people are precluded from having their votes counted, etc., etc. And the Cold War was at its peak, soon to be followed by the US and USSR coming to the brink of a nuclear war over Soviet missiles in Cuba. Oh, and life expectancy for men in 1960? 66.6 years.

So maybe 1960 isn't the best example?

Maybe there's a better year? Maybe not.

I get it. People see today's problems and are nostalgic for a bygone era. I would love to see a world again in which the term "school shooting" didn't exist. But nostalgia is no substitute for hard-eyed realism. We have problems, and the solution to those problems exists in looking forward, not backward to some legendary age when all was right with America.

Truth doesn't seem to matter anymore. Or as Bill Maher discusses in this clip, we focus more on "emotional truth". I think we can return to being more truthful with each other.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

yeah, that's always a good bet.  how did the house do?

I won $500 Texas Hold ‘em 👍

Going to the bank now to deposit my winnings 😉

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

you're def an honest broker.  It's almost like you revel in being caught in a lie...

And what lie would you be referring to?

You seem to have a penchant for making vague accusations without explaining what you’ specifically disagree with…

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Truth doesn't seem to matter anymore. Or as Bill Maher discusses in this clip, we focus more on "emotional truth". I think we can return to being more truthful with each other.

Yeah that's *****, I can kind of see if he was using his platform as a comedian to tell the stories of someone else maybe, but just making up those stories that's ***** up.

7 hours ago, Pokebball said:

Bill Maher is 100% correct here.

It was maybe only 10 years ago (15?) when I first heard someone use the term "my truth." As in, "my truth is that ... ." I didn't even know what to make of it then. I've since come to realize that people are saying that it may not be objectively true, but I feel that it is true, and that that's what matters.

No, it isn't. Your feelings do matter, but feelings are not equal to objective truth.

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/6/2023 at 5:37 PM, JaCrispy said:

That's true but in 1960 only 23% of the adult black population graduated from high school but that number's up to 83% now.  It was about 40% for white adults in 1960 and is at 87% now.  As far as the slogan, it plays on people's nostalgia which is a hell of a drug.  It's what makes Trump a great marketer.  I think we all long for the simpler times and remember them as better than they really were.  Just my two cents.

• Like (+1) 2

On 10/6/2023 at 4:45 PM, Joe Ferguson forever said:

Yep trump made the US a POS country had nothing to do with GW Bush, Clinton, Obama, Or G Bush it's all about Trump ... And he was only in 4 years the others all had 8 but i guess it only takes 1 term to completely do what all those others fixed or did so well by selling out American Business to other countries in their terms .

That F N Trump what a POS  !! 🙄 Really you hate that much that you can't even see what came before that ...

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, T master said:

Yep trump made the US a POS country had nothing to do with GW Bush, Clinton, Obama, Or G Bush it's all about Trump ... And he was only in 4 years the others all had 8 but i guess it only takes 1 term to completely do what all those others fixed or did so well by selling out American Business to other countries in their terms .

That F N Trump what a POS  !! 🙄 Really you hate that much that you can't even see what came before that ...

what he said.  he should be in jail, right now...f'in crook

On 10/8/2023 at 3:57 AM, Doc Brown said:

That's true but in 1960 only 23% of the adult black population graduated from high school but that number's up to 83% now.  It was about 40% for white adults in 1960 and is at 87% now.  As far as the slogan, it plays on people's nostalgia which is a hell of a drug.  It's what makes Trump a great marketer.  I think we all long for the simpler times and remember them as better than they really were.  Just my two cents.

so 83 versus 87%.  pretty similar.

• Eyeroll 1