"Suckers and Losers"---Trump on our GI's

Former President Trump didn't want to visit a cemetery near Paris for Americans who fought and died in World War I because it was filled with "suckers" and "losers," John Kelly, his longest-serving chief of staff, said in a statement to CNN on Monday.

Why it matters: In the statement, Kelly supported this and several other instances of Trump disparaging service members that were reported by The Atlantic in 2020 and vehemently denied at the time by the Republican 2024 presidential front-runner.

Of note: Fox News reporter Jennifer Griffin previously confirmed parts of The Atlantic's story, including his refusal to visit the Aisne-Marne Cemetery in France.

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/02/trump-troops-fallen-soldiers-john-kelly

24 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He was commander and chief? And MAGA wants this guy in charge of our military again? Sick 

The term is "Commander in Chief."

Unless, of course, Elizabeth Warren was President.

Then it would be "Commander and Chief."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The term is "Commander in Chief."

Unless, of course, Elizabeth Warren was President.

Then it would be "Commander and Chief."

Really? That's all you have to say about this? 

Real patriot you are....not 

Thanks for show your colors 

• Eyeroll 1

Richard Antrim

Medal of Honor citation:

"For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while interned as a prisoner of war of the enemy Japanese in the city of Makassar, Celebes, Netherlands East Indies, in April 1942. Acting instantly on behalf of a naval officer who was subjected to a vicious clubbing by a frenzied Japanese guard venting his insane wrath upon the helpless prisoner, Comdr. (then Lt.) Antrim boldly intervened, attempting to quiet the guard and finally persuading him to discuss the charges against the officer. With the entire Japanese force assembled and making extraordinary preparations for the threatened beating, and with the tension heightened by 2,700 Allied prisoners rapidly closing in, Comdr. Antrim courageously appealed to the fanatic enemy, risking his own life in a desperate effort to mitigate the punishment. When the other had been beaten unconscious by 15 blows of a hawser and was repeatedly kicked by 3 soldiers to a point beyond which he could not survive, Comdr. Antrim gallantly stepped forward and indicated to the perplexed guards that he would take the remainder of the punishment, throwing the Japanese completely off balance in their amazement and eliciting a roar of acclaim from the suddenly inspired Allied prisoners. By his fearless leadership and valiant concern for the welfare of another, he not only saved the life of a fellow officer and stunned the Japanese into sparing his own life but also brought about a new respect for American officers and men and a great improvement in camp living conditions. His heroic conduct throughout reflects the highest credit upon Comdr. Antrim and the U.S. Naval Service."

Location at Arlington National Cemetery: Section 35; Site 2613

Another sucker and loser? 

Gregory "Pappy" Boyington

image.png.bc0ff71d54d817a50dcde5e19ecfed53.png 

Section 7A, Grave 150

A World War II fighter ace and Medal of Honor recipient, Col. "Pappy" Boyington (1912-1988) shot down a total of 28 Japanese aircraft during his wartime service. Initially in Army ROTC, he joined the Marine Corps in 1935. In August 1941, however, he resigned his Marine commission in order to join the Flying Tigers (1st American Volunteer Group), organized by Gen. Claire Chennault to assist the Chinese Air Force. Boyington rejoined the Marines in 1942 and commanded the "Black Sheep" squadron (Marine Fighting Squadron 214) in the South Pacific. On January 3, 1944, he was shot down, captured and then held in a Japanese prison camp for 20 months. Boyington's 1958 memoir, "Baa Baa Black Sheep," inspired the 1970s television series of the same name. 

Medal of Honor citation:

"For extraordinary heroism and valiant devotion to duty as commanding officer of Marine Fighting Squadron 214 in action against enemy Japanese forces in the Central Solomons area from 12 September 1943 to 3 January 1944. Consistently outnumbered throughout successive hazardous flights over heavily defended hostile territory, Maj. Boyington struck at the enemy with daring and courageous persistence, leading his squadron into combat with devastating results to Japanese shipping, shore installations, and aerial forces. Resolute in his efforts to inflict crippling damage on the enemy, Maj. Boyington led a formation of 24 fighters over Kahili on 17 October and, persistently circling the airdrome where 60 hostile aircraft were grounded, boldly challenged the Japanese to send up planes. Under his brilliant command, our fighters shot down 20 enemy craft in the ensuing action without the loss of a single ship. A superb airman and determined fighter against overwhelming odds, Maj. Boyington personally destroyed 26 of the many Japanese planes shot down by his squadron and, by his forceful leadership, developed the combat readiness in his command which was a distinctive factor in the Allied aerial achievements in this vitally strategic area."

His book was radically different than the TV series. It was a raw book but very interesting and eye opening. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Former President Trump didn't want to visit a cemetery near Paris for Americans who fought and died in World War I because it was filled with "suckers" and "losers," John Kelly, his longest-serving chief of staff, said in a statement to CNN on Monday.

Why it matters: In the statement, Kelly supported this and several other instances of Trump disparaging service members that were reported by The Atlantic in 2020 and vehemently denied at the time by the Republican 2024 presidential front-runner.

Of note: Fox News reporter Jennifer Griffin previously confirmed parts of The Atlantic's story, including his refusal to visit the Aisne-Marne Cemetery in France.

https://www.axios.com/2023/10/02/trump-troops-fallen-soldiers-john-kelly

Fake news from the one trick pony.  Quit pulling your crank and pull a fire alarm to support your buddies in Congress.  What a mess.  

• Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

I challenge you to not post about Trump for a week. I betcha you can't.

TDS is like an addiction.  The discussion could be about the weather, but it will end up with the orange guy. 

if they could keep him out of their heads for a week, they might get to detox.

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I guess everyone is cool with this, huh? 

He was commander and chief? And MAGA wants this guy in charge of our military again? Sick 

Putin treats his soldiers like this 

Cool with you starting another TDS thread? Nah. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

I challenge you to not post about Trump for a week. I betcha you can't.

And that will make what he said ok? 

Can't you at least condemn what he said? It's very bad 

3 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Cool with you starting another TDS thread? Nah. 

Yup, I'm the bad one here for pointing out this horrible man's comments. He is such a POS 

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Yup, I'm the bad one here for pointing out this horrible man's comments. He is such a POS 

You gotta do what winds your clock.

Doesn't mean I gotta be cool with it. That water is not only under the bridge, its made it to the Pacific (Atlantic in your neck of the woods).

• Agree 1

Just now, Pokebball said:

You gotta do what winds your clock.

Doesn't mean I gotta be cool with it. That water is not only under the bridge, its made it to the Pacific (Atlantic in your neck of the woods).

You are so afraid of the MAGA crowd you have to make this about me. Sad 

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Really? That's all you have to say about this? 

Real patriot you are....not 

Thanks for show your colors 

Listen asshat.

I spent seven and a half years as a Naval Aviator on active duty studying, planning, rehearsing, and ultimately teaching other fighter guys in ours and other militaries regarding defeating threats to this nation. After that four years in the Reserves.

You questioning my or any others patriotism is an idiotic insult you are not qualified to make.

It is not "all I have to say." It is what I choose to say, which does not include posting my thoughts on every issue in a forum like this, with a clear knucklehead like you you issues judgements on peoples patriotism based on some moronic calculus.   

Simply not interested.

Posting in response to your ill-informed, juvenile view, which seems to be that if you don't hate Trump, which I do, renders one pro Putin and anti US would be a silly waste of time.

So I almost never do.

• Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Listen asshat.

I spent seven and a half years as a Naval Aviator on active duty studying, planning, rehearsing, and ultimately teaching other fighter guys in ours and other militaries regarding defeating threats to this nation. After that four years in the Reserves.

You questioning my or any others patriotism is an idiotic insult you are not qualified to make.

It is not "all I have to say." It is what I choose to say, which does not include posting my thoughts on every issue in a forum like this, with a clear knucklehead like you you issues judgements on peoples patriotism based on some moronic calculus.   

Simply not interested.

Posting in response to your ill-informed, juvenile view, which seems to be that if you don't hate Trump, which I do, renders one pro Putin and anti US would be a silly waste of time.

So I almost never do.

Are you a sucker? 

Are you a loser? 

I remember you were denigrating Biden's choices for leadership positions in our military, but on this nothing.

You had the disgusting temerity to challenge the resume of Lloyd Austin, a former paratrooper. 

You are simply a partisan twit. 

Probably a catfish, too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

Boy, challenge the deranged Cult leader and MAGA gets nasty. 

You think our soldiers are suckers and losers? 

Do you really think about the orange dude Nonstop every day, all day, in every narrative?

or just posting anything for a reply?

Good Lord.

In what way is this "fake news?"

A couple years ago we had an off the record comment, presumably from Kelly, that Trump had said this.

Kelly now confirms it: Yes. He said it. He really did say that the men and women who served this country in combat were suckers and losers for doing so.

If that's not a big deal for you, well, perhaps you need to take a step back and examine your own commitment to this country.

• Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Boy, challenge the deranged Cult leader and MAGA gets nasty. 

You think our soldiers are suckers and losers? 

Stop talking about Trump. I didn't vote for him.....just because Biden shat himself again this morning doesn't make me maga. Get a better hobby

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Are you a sucker? 

Are you a loser? 

I remember you were denigrating Biden's choices for leadership positions in our military, but on this nothing.

You had the disgusting temerity to challenge the resume of Lloyd Austin, a former paratrooper. 

You are simply a partisan twit. 

Probably a catfish, too. 

You are an idiot.

What makes it humorous is that you have no idea that you are an idiot.

Calling people's patriotism into question makes it all the more obvious.

No partisanship about it.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, sherpa said:

You are an idiot.

I'm not the one calling our soldiers suckers and losers. 

4 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Stop talking about Trump. I didn't vote for him.....just because Biden shat himself again this morning doesn't make me maga. Get a better hobby

Why should it matter who you voted for. Are you an American? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tiberius said:

Is it worse than Joe Biden telling African American voters their not black if they didn't vote for him. Trump says stupid things, Biden is just stupid

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Aren't you from canada?

2 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

Is it worse than Joe Biden telling African American voters their not black if they didn't vote for him. Trump says stupid things, Biden is just stupid

Aren't you from canada?

That's dumb. 

And why would you think I'm from Canada? I'm a sucker and loser who served the United States 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

In my workaday world, I'm kind of the old guy (wrong side of 55). And my screen name does honor a player from 30 years ago.

Then I see the posters here: JD Hill Fan (74 years old).

Al Bundy fan.

Alf fan.

Chris Farley (what, that wasn't enough of an honor?) now "Tommy Callahan" (RIP, but almost 60 if he'd lived)

Kemp

It pays to keep in mind that all the grumbling old man "this country is going to hell in a handbasket" commentary is exactly that. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That's dumb. 

And why would you think I'm from Canada? I'm a sucker and loser who served the United States 

Well Joe does say some dumb things.....it happends

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In my workaday world, I'm kind of the old guy (wrong side of 55). And my screen name does honor a player from 30 years ago.

Then I see the posters here: JD Hill Fan (74 years old).

Al Bundy fan.

Alf fan.

Chris Farley (what, that wasn't enough of an honor?) now "Tommy Callahan" (RIP, but almost 60 if he'd lived)

Kemp

It pays to keep in mind that all the grumbling old man "this country is going to hell in a handbasket" commentary is exactly that. 

Nice try, I'm 38..... swing and a misssssssssssss

29 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

No.

You are the one calling into question people's patriotism, people who have demonstrated far more of it than you have or ever will.

That's what makes you an undeniable idiot.

• Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Then you need to get out more, buddy, instead of hanging out in the cranky old man early bird dinner club.

Honestly,  compared to a lot of posters I basically just dip my toe in and make fun of billsly. What's wrong with early dinner lol

image.png.cdddb4fb884b4dc4a1caa5530c8a6775.png

3 hours ago, sherpa said:

No.

You are the one calling into question people's patriotism, people who have demonstrated far more of it than you have or ever will.

Trump called you--if you are who you say you are--a sucker and a loser

You must also be ok with what he said about McCain

You are pathetic. How can you be a veteran and be ok with what Trump said. That calls into question what you claim to be 

4 hours ago, sherpa said:

No.

If he said what Kelly claims does that bother you?

I'm someone incapable of taking offence to anything but I think if I were in the military,  or retired, this would bother me.  

46 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

image.png.cdddb4fb884b4dc4a1caa5530c8a6775.png

Trump called you--if you are who you say you are--a sucker and a loser

You must also be ok with what he said about McCain

You are pathetic. How can you be a veteran and be ok with what Trump said. That calls into question what you claim to be 

You exposes yourself as you post.

I haven't said a thing about what Trump.

That is your obsession. 

And for the fourth time, I have offered to prove my bona fides, and to donate money to your preferred charity if I am not truthful.

No longer interested in doing that.

By the way, regarding McCain, who was not well regarded in the community he served in the Navy, political career aside, he has nothing to do with this.

I did fly with his son a number of times though, during his presidential run, so I'm kind of familiar with his Navy rep and beyond, so no comment, other than to point out an obvious red herring.

16 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

If he said what Kelly claims does that bother you?

I'm someone incapable of taking offence to anything but I think if I were in the military,  or retired, this would bother me.  

I can't stand Trump, but I don't ever get offended by what he says. In fact, I don't pay attention.

Not incongruous, just not obsessed or interested.

4 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Happy Hour = Always Good.

Early Bird Dinner = Same Thing with Embarrassing Name

I'll let you know when I graduate into calling it an Early Bird

Case in point, going to a show in Nashville soon.  We decided we wanted to check this place out based on reviews and proximity to the hotel.  It's almost 1/2 price at "happy hour".  That's when we got a reservation.  Call me old but wise.

https://www.eddiev.com/happy-hour/tn/nashville-restaurant/8529

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever