An open letter to the Jordan Poyer doubters

Simon

34 minutes ago, Rew said:

Poyer and Hyde aren't at the levels they were at in their primes, but the defense is still notably worse when either are out.  They may not be "arguably best safety pairing in the league", but they aren't a liability when on the field.  Still both quality starters that have tremendous responsibility in an otherwise depleted secondary.  I'd be comfortable with their skill levels going into next year, but unfortunately availability is becoming an issue.

This is very true.

Even when Hyde went out Sunday, it was noticeable how vulnerable the defense quickly became.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Dear Simon,

You always were the least popular among you 3 singing brothers.

Bite me!

Alvin & Theodore 

Inside the Sevilles: The Untold Story of Greed, Lies and the Irredeemable Treachery of Chipmunks at the Knee of a Secret Tyrant

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 10

I love poyer myself 

but

im not sure why fans think a “switch” just comes on.  I wish it worked that way but I’ve waited numerous years for some player switches to be activated and they just never change thigns

unkess the example is Josh Allen because the switch has been activated since the bye week 

14 hours ago, Rew said:

Poyer and Hyde aren't at the levels they were at in their primes, but the defense is still notably worse when either are out.  They may not be "arguably best safety pairing in the league", but they aren't a liability when on the field.  Still both quality starters that have tremendous responsibility in an otherwise depleted secondary.  I'd be comfortable with their skill levels going into next year, but unfortunately availability is becoming an issue.

It's a passing league and we used to defend the pass extremely well with a fantastic secondary that included 3 studs: Poyer, Hyde, and White.

We have no studs left.  Our secondary isn't elite anymore.  And if we're dreaming about a Lombardi, that's a problem.    

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well don't forget to do a mea culpa on your Spencer Brown hit post from earlier in the season.   That was no better of a take.

Brown has gone from "biggest problem on the Bills offense" in your estimation to being maybe the 5th-6th most positively impactful player on the offense behind Allen, Diggs and Dawkins and right up there with Cook and Kincaid.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

It's a passing league and we used to defend the pass extremely well with a fantastic secondary that included 3 studs: Poyer, Hyde, and White.

We have no studs left.  Our secondary isn't elite anymore.  And if we're dreaming about a Lombardi, that's a problem.    

Taron is a stud and I won't stand by while he is slandered. 

5 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

Taron is a stud and I won't stand by while he is slandered. 

And I won't ask you to.

But the problem is we had the best pass D in the NFL just a couple of years ago (2021) - ranked #1; giving up only 163 yards per game.

In 2023 so far, despite a better DL pressuring the QB, we're ranked #11 giving up 208 passing yards per game.  

Whatever is going on, we're not as studly as we used to be.  

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

tl;dr

Jordan struggled with alcoholism. His wife saw something about an Ayahuasca ceremony. He went; she didn't. It changed him. Profoundly. He doesn't drink and has a new understanding of himself and of life in general. He's gone off social media so he won't be getting unsolicited messages from hotties that his wife may see and that may get him in trouble. His wife is all about social media. She has an Only Fans.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

tl;dr

Jordan struggled with alcoholism. His wife saw something about an Ayahuasca ceremony. He went; she didn't. It changed him. Profoundly. He doesn't drink and has a new understanding of himself and of life in general. He's gone off social media so he won't be getting unsolicited messages from hotties that his wife may see and that may get him in trouble. His wife is all about social media. She has an Only Fans.

Poyer will be even happier after they break up.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well don't forget to do a mea culpa on your Spencer Brown hit post from earlier in the season.   That was no better of a take.

Brown has gone from "biggest problem on the Bills offense" in your estimation to being maybe the 5th-6th most positively impactful player on the offense behind Allen, Diggs and Dawkins and right up there with Cook and Kincaid.

If by impactful you mean Dawkins is absolutely horrible and a serious liability then I guess he’s impactful. He had a great penalty and then let Josh get killed in one of the final drives with the game on the line the other day. 

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

Poyer will be even happier after they break up.

That seems likely. 

He comes off as a guy working through some issues from his childhood, and I'm glad to see he's dealt with that (hey, the Ayahuasca is for people with a stronger gut than me, but whatever works) and matured as a man.

His wife? She may need a little of that potion too.

I was surprised the recent team "who would you want in a snowball fight" video no one picked Poyer - a guy who played baseball in college and was drafted in the MLB 😛

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, stevewin said:

I was surprised the recent team "who would you want in a snowball fight" video no one picked Poyer - a guy who played baseball in college and was drafted in the MLB 😛

Poyer grew up in the Pacific NW. No snow there, unless you head way uphill. You want experience in a snowball fight. Go with the WNY kids. We can identify a dozen different types of snow and how to use each one.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, finn said:

Any thoughts on Benford moving to safety if Elam works out? He has the requisite size, speed, and zone skills. Not a new idea, I know; I'm just trying to remember if there was a logical objection. Moving him to safety would allow Beane to use his first draft pick on a WR and move on from Davis, upgrading two positions and saving a lot of money to boot. 

Might still need a second safety, though. 

As you said correctly,  what happens to Benford will entirely depend on what we do with Elam.  I might be in the minority but I still see Elam being one of our CB 's.  Benford could transition to strong safety but I'd prefer drafting a true college safety.

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Poyer grew up in the Pacific NW. No snow there, unless you head way uphill. You want experience in a snowball fight. Go with the WNY kids. We can identify a dozen different types of snow and how to use each one.

There are places in the PNW (especially in the mountains) that get far more snow than Buffalo.

Astoria, a nice little town near the ocean where Poyer played HS ball, gets about an inch a year.   Not much - but not nothing.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.