Bills defense - 2nd highest pressure rate in a game in the Next Gen Stats era

BillsFan619

Very impressive!

Shoutout to McD for taking the aggressiveness up a notch (more like three).

Another shoutout to our D-line. They’re playing lights out. Let’s keep it up against the Dolphins, fellas!

And to think, Von Miller is almost back. It’s about to get nastier.

Go Bills!

Edited by BillsFan619
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

I can't remember the last time I had that much fun watching our DL.  

But I find myself wondering...  Washington knows Howell tends to hold onto the ball too long and that we have a good DL.  So, what plan did their OL coach and Bienemy cook up to protect their QB?  

There are offensive coaches in the CFL, XFL, USFL, college, and high school.  Theoretically, only the very best work in the NFL.  And these elite coaches make buckets of money in salary...  in this case, to allow their QB to be pressured 69% of the time.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

So I wonder if we had just had McD call the defense years ago, would we have needed to spend so much on Miller?  Would we have seen 13 seconds?  Cant live in the past or revise history here. Just a thought. Go Bills!!

well, McD made the call for the defense all those years.

48 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

So I wonder if we had just had McD call the defense years ago, would we have needed to spend so much on Miller?  Would we have seen 13 seconds?  Cant live in the past or revise history here. Just a thought. Go Bills!!

42 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

well, McD made the call for the defense all those years.

If you cannot live in the past or revise history you make up history.

28 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I suppose he had to approve

more specifically I was saying no one twisted his arm or forced a coordinator on him. He picked the side and let him run it for years, with a little trade back and forth between the two. Whether or not he made the play call, he picked the defense 

15 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

more specifically I was saying no one twisted his arm or forced a coordinator on him. He picked the side and let him run it for years, with a little trade back and forth between the two. Whether or not he made the play call, he picked the defense 

It's a great point. I think he also let Frazier do his job. I know he took over once in a while. I think in the end there was differences.  

22 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If you cannot live in the past or revise history you make up history.

Personally I have real estate in the past and have built a house there. It's comes with its problems. 

5 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Except McD really isn't being any more aggressive.  He's still rushing 4 the majority of the time. Guys are just getting home and Commanders QB sucked. 

Yea not more aggressive in terms of blitzing. I think they are being a bit more 'creative' in their rush package though. Think that is the word rather than aggressive. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea not more aggressive in terms of blitzing. I think they are being a bit more 'creative' in their rush package though. Think that is the word rather than aggressive. 

Simulated pressures by McD.  Hyde's interception against Washington as an example.

1 hour ago, juno999 said:

Simulated pressures by McD.  Hyde's interception against Washington as an example.

In fairness Leslie simulated pressures a lot too. The simulated double A gap blitz that they dropped out of was one of their favourite 3rd down calls. 

There is a bit more stunting and more dropping a linemen into coverage and making a LB the 4th rusher.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I can't remember the last time I had that much fun watching our DL.  

But I find myself wondering...  Washington knows Howell tends to hold onto the ball too long and that we have a good DL.  So, what plan did their OL coach and Bienemy cook up to protect their QB?  

There are offensive coaches in the CFL, XFL, USFL, college, and high school.  Theoretically, only the very best work in the NFL.  And these elite coaches make buckets of money in salary...  in this case, to allow their QB to be pressured 69% of the time.  

Bienemy had a plan.  It rested on two pillars:

1) Howell reading the D and knowing what his answer was.  McDermott successfully confused him and made him hesitate that extra second.

2) Manipulating our D into a situation where Milano was taken out of the play and he could pick on Bernard.  Instead, Bernard picked Howell.

Denver never attacked the line of scrimmage. No one was getting pressure. As a result, all of that eye candy Miami was displaying with presnap motion left defenders reacting too late. The Bills defense will absolutely be living in the backfield. The secret is to dictate rather than react. Add in the disguises that make the QB think a little longer, hold the ball a little longer and that will also give the Dline a chance to blow up plays. The Bills are very good at mixing up coverage and forcing the QB to guess. The Dolphins have been fortunate that no defense, with the exception of NE, has been able to disrupt their timing.

I predict a very wild game when Miami's offense is on the field against Buffalo's defense. Both are trying to force reactions and not allow the other to dictate. That is why Miami is rolling. Big problem for Miami is the Buffalo defense is very fast at getting into the backfield. Those eye candy plays don't work if a defender is all ready in the backfield. The Bills defense will have to be aggressive and also disciplined. The Miami offense will have to be fast enough to not let the D contain them. I think McD will have some wrinkles to challenge them.

1 hour ago, Motorin' said:

The issue with this is that Howell holds onto the ball all day long. Tua plays hot potato. 

True. But remember Tua getting the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds or whatever is just an average. Expect Tua to get crushed multiple times this week on his drop backs that are 3+ seconds. It will be a wakeup call for a QB who basically hasn't taken a real hit through three games. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

True. But remember Tua getting the ball out in less than 2.5 seconds or whatever is just an average. Expect Tua to get crushed multiple times this week on his drop backs that are 3+ seconds. It will be a wakeup call for a QB who basically hasn't taken a real hit through three games. 

This game is going to be a big test all the way around. The newish McDermott defense hasn't played a good offense either. 

I'm hopeful they can disrupt Tua's timing, apply pressure and force him to hold the ball too long. 

We shall see!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.