Justin Herbert's record after 52 starts vs others (couple former Bills show up)

Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Personally, I think Herbert’s talents are wasted a bit in his offense. I think in that Dolphins offense he would be even better than Tua. Alas.

He’s got a few weapons on offense and he’s even got the coordinator who had the number 2 ranked offense in football last year at some point realize it’s the player not the coaching.
Heck Josh had to play last year with two guys who were retired at the start of the season. 

QBs need talent around them see Jalen Hurts but if you look at the salary structure with The Chargers they pay their guys like they are elite. 

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

He’s got a few weapons on offense and he’s even got the coordinator who had the number 2 ranked offense in football last year at some point realize it’s the player not the coaching.
Heck Josh had to play last year with two guys who were retired at the start of the season. 

QBs need talent around them see Jalen Hurts but if you look at the salary structure with The Chargers they pay their guys like they are elite. 

I wouldn’t trade the Bills weapons for the Chargers weapons this year, personally.

I just don’t think his weapons fit his skill set perfectly. They have a lot of scat and short yardage guys. Chain movers. Herbert needs big play ability. 

• Agree 1

On 9/22/2023 at 8:09 AM, mannc said:

This pretty well sums it up for me.  I think the Chargers’ weapons are highly overrated…absolutely no deep threat, for a qb who throws a really nice deep ball.

I would add one or two other things:

if we’re talking W-L, the Chargers have zero home field advantage.  That probably costs them a game it two a year.

it’s curious to me that Herbert really doesn’t ever run the ball unless forced to; no designed runs.  This is a guy who is probably Josh Allen’s equal as a runner.  I assume it’s because of injury concerns but this is a major part of his game that the chargers just ignore.

the guy just isn’t clutch.  Always picks the worst time to make a bad decision.  He was the same at Oregon.  He is a pretty soft guy, playing for a soft team in a soft part of the country. Bad combination.

All good points except for being equal to Josh as a runner. You said it in the last paragraph. He doesn't run the ball because he is soft. Justin doesn't have half the balls that Josh does. That's why he never runs and that's why he never comes up clutch. He'll turn the ball over less, but he's had better weapons than Josh his whole career and hasn't sniffed the same success.

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

I wouldn’t trade the Bills weapons for the Chargers weapons this year, personally.

I just don’t think his weapons fit his skill set perfectly. They have a lot of scat and short yardage guys. Chain movers. Herbert needs big play ability. 

Quentin Johnston is 6’4 and so is Mike Williams I see your point that Austin Eckler isn’t the biggest guy but man at some point it’s the player and not  the players around him. 

4 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Anyways I've been very impressed with Tua lately. He processes play very quickly and his ball placement is excellent.

Tua is doing exactly what he's been doing since day one. If his first read is there he'll identify it and deliver the ball accurately. In that sense the Shanahan offense is perfect for him because it's mostly a one read offense. That system combined with all of that speed really just needs a one read QB that can get the ball out on time. It's the same reason San Fran is making it work with Brock Purdy.

If you want to stop the offense, take away the first read and take away the middle of the field. Much easier said than done of course.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Quentin Johnston is 6’4 and so is Mike Williams I see your point that Austin Eckler isn’t the biggest guy but man at some point it’s the player and not  the players around him. 

Would you trade the Bills weapons for the Chargers weapons?

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

I get your point and don't totally disagree though I'm not sure the Pats are 2-0 with Herbert... maybe 1-1?

Anyways I've been very impressed with Tua lately. He processes play very quickly and his ball placement is excellent.

He's definitely underwhelming physically but I think he understands the game in a way that most NFL QBs don't.

I was thinking with the Pats D and Bill O as OC they would have won both games but it’s pure speculation. I just think Tua benefits from having amazing weapons. For example he did the same thing Jones did on Sunday the difference is his guys got a lot of YAC. Our best player for that was benched because he fumbled.. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Herbert gets a ton of his passer stats in garbage time and against teams the Chargers should beat.

If you ask Justin to make a big play..at a big moment…in a big game…he usually can’t 

That is exactly what many people, myself included, said about Phillip Rivers during his years with the Chargers.   When Rivers finally escaped the Chargers late in his career, he found success again despite his diminished skills.  With stats similar to what he'd put up through his years with the Chargers, he led the Colts to the playoffs with a 11-5 record.   I think if Herbert was on a better team, he'd still have flashy stats, but those stats would translate into wins rather than losses.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

Would you trade the Bills weapons for the Chargers weapons?

Yes

Ekeler as the second option is a big benefit over Herbert having to utilize Davis as his #2

Allen's mobility in the backfield gets Williams even more opportunities downfield and the 50/50 balls he can come down with outweighs Diggs>Keenan Allen

I don't think people really get how much of a weapon Ekeler is

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes

Ekeler as the second option is a big benefit over Herbert having to utilize Davis as his #2

Allen's mobility in the backfield gets Williams even more opportunities downfield and the 50/50 balls he can come down with outweighs Diggs>Keenan Allen

That's why when we had the opportunity to trade for McCaffrey I was all in...Still think we would've put such a butt whoopin on KC and Eagles 13 seconds wouldn't have happened.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes

I would not. I think Diggs is a far superior weapon to just about all of them and that’s the most important thing. As great as Ekeler is as a pass catching RB, imo, that’s not the weapon that maximizes a big arm mobile QB.

Ekeler is a great fantasy guy though.

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I would not. I think Diggs is a far superior weapon to just about all of them and that’s the most important thing. As great as Ekeler is as a pass catching RB, imo, that’s not the weapon that maximizes a big arm mobile QB.

Ekeler is a great fantasy guy though.

Chargers’ weapons are pathetic.  Bottom 6 or 7 in the league. No one to stretch a defense at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Interesting story 

I thought he was terribly overrated at Oregon.  Never won a big game until the RoseBowl his final year. And he did that running as much as he did passing. 

Then he played really well and I thought maybe he would be a better pro. 

I still think that is the case. 

He's been held back by bad coaching more than anything else. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.