Referees (Officials) Announced for Week 3 2023 (9/24/2023): Buffalo at Washington: Land Clark

chongli

clark-v2.jpg

Position - No. - Name - 2022  Crew - Yrs. Exp. - College - Occupation

R - 130 - Land Clark - 6 - n/a - Sevier Valley Tech - chief building official

U - 21 - Paul King - 15 - same - Nichols College - teacher

DJ - 68 - Tom Stephan - 25 - same - Pittsburg State - retired business broker

LJ - 40 - Brian Bolinger - 7 - same - Indiana State - corporate safety director

FJ - 26 - Jabir Walker - 9 - Hussey - Murray State - middle school teacher

SJ - 114 - Dominique Pender - 4 - same - Howard - trade support, finance and banking

BJ - 88 - Brad Freeman - 10 - Hussey - Mississippi State - sports park director

RO - n/a - Bob Hubbell - 4 - Rogers - Texas A&M - unknown

RA - n/a - Jim Van Geffen - rookie - n/a - unknown - unknown 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Land Clark was #8 out of 17 on the most recent referee power rankings (2015):

https://samsonthebeard.com/referee-power-rankings/

land-clark.jpg

"8. Land Clark

Land is a wunderkind, becoming a referee after only 2 years in the league. Ironically, he loves flying and cruises."

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/who-is-land-clark-and-what-is-going-on-with-his-officiating-crew-in-bills/article_1cd40a4e-3ffc-11ec-b6e2-4b1285676883.html

[subscription required]

"Who is Land Clark and what is going on with his officiating ..."

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1

• chongli changed the title to Referees (Officials) Announced for Week 3 2023 (9/24/2023): Buffalo at Washington: Land Clark
2 minutes ago, chongli said:

Dawson better be careful with his taunting this time, lol.

Pretty sure the Bills have never won an away game with this joke of a ref.

Think he reffed the last year's either away at Jets(L) or at Miami game(L). 

Plus that awful Jacksonville game where phantom holding calls were called on the Bills all afternoon 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, chongli said:

Dawson better be careful with his taunting this time, lol.

Well if the refs don't  consider Josh refusing to throw it deep and picking up chunks of ground in the middle taunting we good.

I mean it could be taken that way.  

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, chongli said:

Damn, I was very young when this came out. Never knew about it. It was funny as hell though. Good 70's humor.

I remember seeing the original broadcast on I believe Ed Sullivan of sonny and Cher singing I got you baby.  I was 5 or 6  yrs old.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, chongli said:

Damn, I was very young when this came out. Never knew about it. It was funny as hell though. Good 70's humor.

Semi-OT but I just finally this one after last night's Steelers-Browns game reminded me to look for it.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, chongli said:

clark-v2.jpg

Position - No. - Name - 2022  Crew - Yrs. Exp. - College - Occupation

R - 130 - Land Clark - 6 - n/a - Sevier Valley Tech - chief building official

U - 21 - Paul King - 15 - same - Nichols College - teacher

DJ - 68 - Tom Stephan - 25 - same - Pittsburg State - retired business broker

LJ - 40 - Brian Bolinger - 7 - same - Indiana State - corporate safety director

FJ - 26 - Jabir Walker - 9 - Hussey - Murray State - middle school teacher

SJ - 114 - Dominique Pender - 4 - same - Howard - trade support, finance and banking

BJ - 88 - Brad Freeman - 10 - Hussey - Mississippi State - sports park director

RO - n/a - Bob Hubbell - 4 - Rogers - Texas A&M - unknown

RA - n/a - Jim Van Geffen - rookie - n/a - unknown - unknown 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Land Clark was #8 out of 17 on the most recent referee power rankings (2015):

https://samsonthebeard.com/referee-power-rankings/

land-clark.jpg

"8. Land Clark

Land is a wunderkind, becoming a referee after only 2 years in the league. Ironically, he loves flying and cruises."

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/who-is-land-clark-and-what-is-going-on-with-his-officiating-crew-in-bills/article_1cd40a4e-3ffc-11ec-b6e2-4b1285676883.html

[subscription required]

"Who is Land Clark and what is going on with his officiating ..."

A lot of this is from 2021.  People do get better at their jobs.

Any recent intel?  Has he ref'd any Bills games since the Jaguars?

Why did Warren Sharp call him a "plague" last January 2nd?

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

A lot of this is from 2021.  People do get better at their jobs.

Any recent intel?  Has he ref'd any Bills games since the Jaguars?

Why did Warren Sharp call him a "plague" last January 2nd?

All good questions. I don't have much time, but I found this:

This was Week 17 last season and the Steelers won against the Ravens 16-13 but could have lost due to Land Clark's unnecessary roughness penalty against Cam Heyward.

https://fansided.com/2023/01/01/refs-screw-steelers-playoff-race-cam-heyward-penalty/

The refs for the Steelers and Ravens stirred up controversy when they hit Cam Heyward with a costly and questionable unnecessary roughness penalty.

[...]

With seconds left before halftime, Pittsburgh got a third-down stop that would have forced Baltimore to settle for a field goal. However, there was some pushing and shoving on the post-tackle pile that resulted in an unnecessary roughness penalty against Cam Heyward.

Immediately, fans questioned the call. It looked relatively harmless. At most, there could have been offsetting penalties since Heyward had been grabbed by Baltimore players in the pile in the first place. Instead, only one side got a major punishment for something minor.

The Ravens got a first down as a result and promptly scored a touchdown on a pass from Tyler Huntley to Isaiah Likely.

In essence, Baltimore got four extra points because of the penalty. By the fourth quarter, the four-point margin between the teams was notable.

The Steelers have been clinging to hopes of making the playoffs, winning five of their last seven since starting the season 2-6. The game against the Ravens was a must-win. A loss would eliminate Pittsburgh."

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/1/2/23535529/official-from-week-17-tries-to-explain-unnecessary-roughness-penalty-on-cam-heyward-steelers-ravens

"It was a 4-point swing, and until Kenny Pickett and the offense’s late-game heroics, it looked as if those points would be the deciding factor in the game. So, what happened which resulted in the flag being thrown? This is what referee Land Clark told a pool reporter after the game.

“Well, there was some pushing and shoving after the play,” referee Land Clark told a pool reporter after the game via Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “No. 97 continued to push after the play, and that’s why it was called.”

In the locker room after the game, Heyward sang a different tune. Nonetheless, he didn’t run and hide from the play, instead focusing on getting his defense ready for the second half.

“I got pulled back down, and it looks like hit the ref,” Heyward said. “We were able to regroup at halftime. Swallowed my pride and just kept going.”

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, chongli said:

All good questions. I don't have much time, but I found this:

This was Week 17 last season and the Steelers won against the Ravens 16-13 but could have lost due to Land Clark's unnecessary roughness penalty against Cam Heyward.

https://fansided.com/2023/01/01/refs-screw-steelers-playoff-race-cam-heyward-penalty/

The refs for the Steelers and Ravens stirred up controversy when they hit Cam Heyward with a costly and questionable unnecessary roughness penalty.

[...]

With seconds left before halftime, Pittsburgh got a third-down stop that would have forced Baltimore to settle for a field goal. However, there was some pushing and shoving on the post-tackle pile that resulted in an unnecessary roughness penalty against Cam Heyward.

Immediately, fans questioned the call. It looked relatively harmless. At most, there could have been offsetting penalties since Heyward had been grabbed by Baltimore players in the pile in the first place. Instead, only one side got a major punishment for something minor.

The Ravens got a first down as a result and promptly scored a touchdown on a pass from Tyler Huntley to Isaiah Likely.

In essence, Baltimore got four extra points because of the penalty. By the fourth quarter, the four-point margin between the teams was notable.

The Steelers have been clinging to hopes of making the playoffs, winning five of their last seven since starting the season 2-6. The game against the Ravens was a must-win. A loss would eliminate Pittsburgh."

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2023/1/2/23535529/official-from-week-17-tries-to-explain-unnecessary-roughness-penalty-on-cam-heyward-steelers-ravens

"It was a 4-point swing, and until Kenny Pickett and the offense’s late-game heroics, it looked as if those points would be the deciding factor in the game. So, what happened which resulted in the flag being thrown? This is what referee Land Clark told a pool reporter after the game.

“Well, there was some pushing and shoving after the play,” referee Land Clark told a pool reporter after the game via Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. “No. 97 continued to push after the play, and that’s why it was called.”

In the locker room after the game, Heyward sang a different tune. Nonetheless, he didn’t run and hide from the play, instead focusing on getting his defense ready for the second half.

“I got pulled back down, and it looks like hit the ref,” Heyward said. “We were able to regroup at halftime. Swallowed my pride and just kept going.”

I choose "thanks" to you and 🤮 to this story.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

I remember seeing the original broadcast on I believe Ed Sullivan of sonny and Cher singing I got you baby.  I was 5 or 6  yrs old.

6 hours ago, chongli said:

There are some things from the 70's I choose not to remember, lol.

I've got some bad news for you, chongli.  That song came out in 1965, not the seventies.  

I saw Sonny & Cher (who were already big stars) opening for the Beach Boys at the Auditorium Theater in Rochester in 1967.  They sang "I've got you babe".  The Beach Boys sang their new hit single, "I Wish They All Could Be California Girls" - first time I had heard it.

10 hours ago, buffblue said:

I had the misfortune of being at that Jags game in 2021. Can't decide what was worse, Land Clark's officiating or the stupid Duuuuval chants

Wow! You were privileged to be at Urban Meyer's only career win as a coach. What an honor. 🤮

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.