O'Cyrus Torrence.....Bills best O-lineman??

Special K

2 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There’s not going to be a massive overhaul.  Dion and McGovern are under contract until 2026.  Mitch Morse has 1 more year.  

Sans a crazy injury, the only position they might upgrade is RT

They have to think hard about Center.

Unless you think Bates is the answer. thats okay.

But I  would like to see a center "drafted ? " who can push/ defeat a tackle  when its a run in the A gap :)

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

There’s not going to be a massive overhaul.  Dion and McGovern are under contract until 2026.  Mitch Morse has 1 more year.  

Yup.  Those 2 plus Torrence are under contract through 2026.  Need RT and C. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

When I say overhaul, I don't mean this year....I mean over the next two years. 

I agree that RT is the most pressing need, but C will be a need as well. This could be Morse's final year as he may retire this offseason.

I brought this up before the draft last year, but I would be in favor of making LT a priority, then shifting Dawkins to RT or LG...upgrading two positions at once.

We'll see what happens, I guess.

What I liked about the pick to begin with is the size of the player. I think Beane has undervalued size in the trenches the past few years. Technique is great and all, but trying to move a 347 pound human being 40 times a game is going to wear anybody down. I think Howie Roseman understands this concept better than anybody in football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

They have to think hard about Center.

Unless you think Bates is the answer. thats okay.

But I  would like to see a center "drafted ? " who can push/ defeat a tackle  when its a run in the A gap :)

I absolutely think that Ryan Bates is the future center

Would not have been against playing him on Monday night whenever Morsecame up lame with that arm that’s what depth is for

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I absolutely think that Ryan Bates is the future center

Would not have been against playing him on Monday night whenever Morsecame up lame with that arm that’s what depth is for

I'm sure that's the plan.  He's 2nd string center and Morse will be 32 next season and it would save $8.5M in cap room by releasing him.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'm sure that's the plan.  He's 2nd string center and Morse will be 32 next season and it would save $8.5M in cap room by releasing him.

I know a lot of people are down on our line as long as they stay healthy I am not of that opinion

The Jets D line are monsters probably the best one that the bills are going to face all season and I thought that they held their own pretty well. Josh Allen was bailing out of clean pockets.

11 hours ago, PBF81 said:

His play was incredibly encouraging, and considering the competition particularly.  

What IMO was incredibly significant was that all five starting OL-men played 100% of the snaps.  THAT'S the way to build OL chemistry!!  It reminds me of our '90s OL.  You simply have to have competent healthy OL-men to be able to do that.  

And as they get to know their lineages they will know when they can maybe add in some stunts. Can a tackle jump into the spot normally defended by guard while a guard takes on a de that's trying to cut inside between tackle and guard?  I don't know many rules on what's allowed or not.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I know a lot of people are down on our line as long as they stay healthy I am not of that opinion

The Jets D line are monsters probably the best one that the bills are going to face all season and I thought that they held their own pretty well. Josh Allen was bailing out of clean pockets.

They've got a great DL and defense.  But Brown was getting bull-rushed into Josh early in the game and pressure was coming up the middle.  I can see why he got skittish but I don't know why he stopped taking the short passes like he was doing in the beginning of the game.  That's why I think the concussion theory is plausible.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

They've got a great DL and defense.  But Brown was getting bull-rushed into Josh early in the game and pressure was coming up the middle.  I can see why he got skittish but I don't know why he stopped taking the short passes like he was doing in the beginning of the game.  That's why I think the concussion theory is plausible.

Yea I'm one to call things out as I see them but I also do think the concussion theory that has been pointed out from a play that  does seem to  be

The beginning of the sugar high Josh could be a dinged in the frontal lobe  seeing stars  and not wanting to be pulled from the game so Josh doesn't tell the sideline he got his clock rung if he even was aware  at that point.  Not like a convussedmperson will have the wits for a self diagnoses.  

Edited by AuntieEm

FWIW he graded out as our best guy per PFF too:

Cybo - 69.7

Dion - 65.2

Morse - 60.3

Brown - 55.7

McGovern - 43.9

To add some context to that though McGovern scored 70.6 as a pass blocker it was his atrocious run blocking score of 30.9 that dragged him down. The only one of the 5 to score below a 63 as a pass blocker was Spencer Brown at 58.0. Which I think matched the eye test. The Bills OL pass blocked pretty well on Monday save for 1 or 2 noticeable breakdowns (which happen in every game to almost every line). 

I just watched a YouTube video of his 1st snap against Quinnen Williams. O'Cyrus pancaked him. Put his ___ on the groundI I loved it. OT's already a stud. McGovern and Brown are the ones that worry me. Look for David Edwards to take over that LG spot if McGovern doesn't pick it up. I suppose not having to block Q Williams will help, but that didn't phase Torrance any.

23 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

He and Dion both looked the part, played well.

I wouldn't say any of our OL were great, or liabilities either.  

But Torrence and Dion most consistent good play.  Then Morse and McGovern.  Spencer gave up more pressures than I would have liked to see, getting mostly bull rushed/needed to anchor better.

He’s just too tall and can’t get the leverage he needs to swallow up a bull rush. 

14 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I just watched a YouTube video of his 1st snap against Quinnen Williams. O'Cyrus pancaked him. Put his ___ on the groundI I loved it. OT's already a stud. McGovern and Brown are the ones that worry me. Look for David Edwards to take over that LG spot if McGovern doesn't pick it up. I suppose not having to block Q Williams will help, but that didn't phase Torrance any.

McGovern did well in pass blocking but not run blocking.  I think that's his MO.  I'm not sure if he's still injured and if he is, put Edwards in there.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.