Sugar High Josh and our Sweet Tooth

Goin Breakdown

I was thinking about myself as a fan, us as fans of Josh, and I feel perhaps that we are a little bit like leaves in the wind blowing wherever the wind wants us to go. 
The wind can be the media in all forms or it can be our emotions. 
For a few years we loved watching Josh play. Josh is the main reason the Bills have been called must watch TV. Romo even said it during the broadcast. 
This brings me to Josh's backyard style. I know it has been talked about heavily these last couple of days and maybe my thought aren't anything new, but I just have to get it out. We have always known that Josh leaping over defenders is not very smart (at all actually). His leaping the other night was brutal for sure. 
I was reading the other day a poster claiming that Josh is under pressure to throw to Diggs and that may be his reason for making bad choices. Well his coach and teammates have been also telling him not to put himself at risk too. So is josh trying to appease those around him or not?  I think Josh is Josh. We will get HOF level play and we will get stinkers. He's our Qb. I'm proud of that. 
we have been celebrating Joshes leaps over defenders. We paint pictures of it, we buy bobble heads, Christmas ornaments, make street signs and go nuts puffing out our chest and flexing when he embarrasses a defender. What happened?  Because we lost now all of a sudden Josh needs to grow up?  It's true he needs to be careful and make smart choices but why make

him be who he's not. Why turn on him when just last week we applauded his dawg mentality but now he's as dumb as a dog?

Winning fixes everything they say. 
After a few days of frustration with the team and Josh, I have to think of what I really want. I think it's just to find joy in this team. Be entertained and cheer for my Bills. You all are awesome and I appreciate all the conversation in this board. Sorry for my rant. Go Bills. 

F36BEFCC-4109-40BE-9D1C-0A39D1BE74E6.jpeg

Edited by Goin Breakdown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am older school. I don't care about excitement, flash etc. I want superbowl wins.  I don't care about All pros' probowls, Power rankings, thoughts of Talking heads, I want superbowl wins.  If its with a boring QB and win a superbowl I don't care.  We have an exciting QB...who can't get to a superbowl let alone win one yet and from all indications Monday night... isn't getting us there unless he makes lots of changes.

As you can see I am an OU football fan. We have had several Heismans and a 2nd place Heisman QB in Hurts. I don't care if we EVER have another one, start hanging Banners in the stadium again.

But im and old fart so there's that 😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The only thing that entertains me is the chance to win a SB.  Yes our early career Josh was spectacular and beyond entertaining.  But does it translate to a championship and is it sustainable at 27, 28, 29?  This is Josh's opportunity to transition into a little different qb.  Make smarter decisions.  Don't let Diggs dictate the offense.  Trust your coaches. Our insatiable appetite for sugar leads to diabetes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The only thing that entertains me is the chance to win a SB.  Yes our early career Josh was spectacular and beyond entertaining.  But does it translate to a championship and is it sustainable at 27, 28, 29?  This is Josh's opportunity to transition into a little different qb.  Make smarter decisions.  Don't let Diggs dictate the offense.  Trust your coaches. Our insatiable appetite for sugar leads to diabetes. 

Your last line is brilliant. 

I did appreciate watching him play every weekend. An elite athlete capable of elite games, he’s always been inconsistent. But the entertainment value was welcomed.

Now, on any given play, I brace for the mistake. Numerous reasons for this that don’t need to be relitigated here. I think ultimately his style of play wasn’t sustainable without maturation or better system around him. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Best QB in NFL history = Tom Brady. Zero flash, can't run to save his life, will complete 5 yard passes until you go insane and lull defenses to sleep. Nobody ever asked their QB to jump over somebody. It's not a requirement 

Until (if) we are in the SB and he makes a play only Allen can make to win a SB it is OK then?

This entire Josh grow up crap is straight BS. Start with giving him a real O-line and let him do what he does. 

This weak 1 loss to prob the best or 2nd best DLINE and D in the league is beyond annoying with again a weak O-line. Give him a top 5 O-Line like Mahomes or Hurts and how does Josh do? 

Edited by Real McNasty
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

Until (if) we are in the SB and he makes a play only Allen can make to win a SB it is OK then?

This entire Josh grow up crap is straight BS. Start with giving him a real O-line and let him do what he does. 

This weak 1 loss to prob the best or 2nd best DLINE and D in the league is beyond annoying with again a weak O-line. Give him a top 5 O-Line like Mahomes or Hurts and how does Josh do? 

Its not BS, its time to grow up. His entire career he won't take the open routes and its just a known fact which he didn't do again Monday night. He has an OL, over 25% of his pressures were because of him. At some point the coddling of this MAN (not a kid) has to stop. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Real McNasty said:

A lot of the errors Josh made were his own choices. Call it whatever you want; arrogance or greed. Josh has a tendency to go with whatever he feels is the right play some times. Can’t do that when your goal as a franchise is a SB. Scratch that. Expectation is a SB. 

Would an upgraded OLine make him better? Absolutely. It does any QB. But there’s a lot left on the table that’s head scratchers because of Josh and Josh alone. 

25 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Its not BS, its time to grow up. His entire career he won't take the open routes and its just a known fact which he didn't do again Monday night. He has an OL, over 25% of his pressures were because of him. At some point the coddling of this MAN (not a kid) has to stop. 

Agree to a point. Josh does frequently take the open routes… he did on Monday night. He unfortunately isn’t willing to do it all game if that’s what he’s given. At some point you can sense and feel he’s frustrated with just chipping away at teams. He wants that grand slam home run or liver shot to the opposing team… 

For all his talk of accountability or things being “on him” it is perplexing that these same problems crop up again and again. That being a consistency, as in many posts from myself and others, comes down to a coaching issue. 

Edited by BBFL
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Best QB in NFL history = Tom Brady. Zero flash, can't run to save his life, will complete 5 yard passes until you go insane and lull defenses to sleep. Nobody ever asked their QB to jump over somebody. It's not a requirement 

At this same time, this fan base really embraced the hype machine. Josh seems like a good kid but he’s been a bit of a hothead since day one, and when you’re young and rich and people are putting your visage hurdling linebackers into t shirts I think that just lends itself more to him wanting to do too much to live up to the hype. 

Josh needs a factory reset - needs to go back to the Jordan Palmer camp of fundamentals and just calm down. Just about every move we’ve made to retool the offense this year was to take the pressure off of him…

And frankly I think he should have played way more this preseason to take some of the edge off. That’s on the coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't even believe Diggs us out there demanding he get all these throws.  Diggs wants to ein and he will do whatever he can to help the team win.  If that means he's running decoy routes to drag dbs away from where another player can have a easy play he's all for it imo.  Unless the other player is  say just being nonchalant and  doesn't catch a ball that should be routine.  That's when Diggs maybevtellung Josh if no one wiĺl catch it, I will do all I have to to get the ball.  So I'm thinking Diggs is trusting Josh to play smarter and if nothing is open then he has his back.  I hope Diggs and all the open receiversvget on Josh  in film room breakdowns and demand better decisions.  If it re a zines them benching Josh for a game to drive the point home then have Kyle start a game see what he does by taking the easy throws.  If Kyle wins as part of a TEAM effort maybe then Josh will realize it's not the Buffalo Josh's it's Buffalo bills.

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

Cool story, so enjoy watching all those Pats SB highlights on endless repeat. I want Allen to play better and like he’s capable of , (which we know is pretty great ) but he’s just never going to be THAT guy . For f&#$ sake this board is nuts sometimes…

7 minutes ago, AuntieEm said:

I don't even believe Diggs us out there demanding he get all these throws.  Diggs wants to ein and he will do whatever he can to help the team win.  If that means he's running decoy routes to drag dbs away from where another player can have a easy play he's all for it imo.  Unless the other player is  say just being nonchalant and  doesn't catch a ball that should be routine.  That's when Diggs maybevtellung Josh if no one wiĺl catch it, I will do all I have to to get the ball.  So I'm thinking Diggs is trusting Josh to play smarter and if nothing is open then he has his back.  I hope Diggs and all the open receiversvget on Josh  in film room breakdowns and demand better decisions.  If it re a zines them benching Josh for a game to drive the point home then have Kyle start a game see what he does by taking the easy throws.  If Kyle wins as part of a TEAM effort maybe then Josh will realize it's not the Buffalo Josh's it's Buffalo bills.

Agree, I don’t think this is about Diggs. It’s about Josh Allen, plain and simple. Winning is the best deodorant. No one will care about catches etc IF they’re notching W’s. Josh needs to be in control and making the smart throws that will drive defenses nuts. Then hit them over the top when they cheat up. We’ve seen him do this before with great success. He’s forcing things into coverage and has to stop. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Cool story, so enjoy watching all those Pats SB highlights on endless repeat. I want Allen to play better and like he’s capable of , (which we know is pretty great ) but he’s just never going to be THAT guy . For f&#$ sake this board is nuts sometimes…

Agree, I don’t think this is about Diggs. It’s about Josh Allen, plain and simple. Winning is the best deodorant. No one will care about catches etc IF they’re notching W’s. Josh needs to be in control and making the smart throws that will drive defenses nuts. Then hit them over the top when they cheat up. We’ve seen him do this before with great success. He’s forcing things into coverage and has to stop. 

Only thing I am hoping for is that they already decided as a team strategy to look like Josh is the bust  that the draft gurus were  right that he is just a strong arm and not much else.  Well he did make people notice he was more than that.  Now he has to build on that and help team win  a sb.  That requires alot of work and start to wonder if Josh is getting bored of being so focused on football.   Not many in the top of their professions whatever it is ever need to make a statement about being focused on that  profession.   I mean I don't think you will see the  best brain surgeon in world up at a podium in a conference with his peers talking about suddenly being all about the latest brain surgery techniques.   

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

I did appreciate watching him play every weekend. An elite athlete capable of elite games, he’s always been inconsistent. But the entertainment value was welcomed.

Now, on any given play, I brace for the mistake. Numerous reasons for this that don’t need to be relitigated here. I think ultimately his style of play wasn’t sustainable without maturation or better system around him. 

In this regard its a coaching problem. There's too much that is catered to what Josh likes and dislikes.  That has to stop if he wants things only his way then let him start up a flag football game with his pals every Saturday in his backyard when they are playing at home on Sundays.  

Edited by AuntieEm

2 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

The oline played a pretty good game on Monday given the opposition.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

To me, it just seems like Allen, and the whole team for that matter, is playing too tight. Trying too hard. like every play, every series is make or break. In 2021, when they went on that win streak to end the season, they looked like they were having fun. Playing hard, but loose. I haven't really seen that since early last year. 

This, but "football"

2 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I was thinking about myself as a fan, us as fans of Josh, and I feel perhaps that we are a little bit like leaves in the wind blowing wherever the wind wants us to go. 
The wind can be the media in all forms or it can be our emotions. 
For a few years we loved watching Josh play. Josh is the main reason the Bills have been called must watch TV. Romo even said it during the broadcast. 
This brings me to Josh's backyard style. I know it has been talked about heavily these last couple of days and maybe my thought aren't anything new, but I just have to get it out. We have always known that Josh leaping over defenders is not very smart (at all actually). His leaping the other night was brutal for sure. 
I was reading the other day a poster claiming that Josh is under pressure to throw to Diggs and that may be his reason for making bad choices. Well his coach and teammates have been also telling him not to put himself at risk too. So is josh trying to appease those around him or not?  I think Josh is Josh. We will get HOF level play and we will get stinkers. He's our Qb. I'm proud of that. 
we have been celebrating Joshes leaps over defenders. We paint pictures of it, we buy bobble heads, Christmas ornaments, make street signs and go nuts pudding out our chest and flexing when he embarrasses a defender. What happened?  Because we lost now all of a sudden Josh needs to grow up?  It's true he needs to be careful and make smart choices but why make

him be who he's not. Why turn on him when just last week we applauded his dawg mentality but now he's as dumb as a dog?

Winning fixes everything they say. 
After a few days of frustration with the team and Josh, I have to think of what I really want. I think it's just to find joy in this team. Be entertained and cheer for my Bills. You all are awesome and I appreciate all the conversation in this board. Sorry for my rant. Go Bills. 

F36BEFCC-4109-40BE-9D1C-0A39D1BE74E6.jpeg

Sorry, this is way too deep for me.  WAAAY too deep.

1 hour ago, BBFL said:

A lot of the errors Josh made were his own choices. Call it whatever you want; arrogance or greed. Josh has a tendency to go with whatever he feels is the right play some times. Can’t do that when your goal as a franchise is a SB. Scratch that. Expectation is a SB. 

Would an upgraded OLine make him better? Absolutely. It does any QB. But there’s a lot left on the table that’s head scratchers because of Josh and Josh alone. 

Agree to a point. Josh does frequently take the open routes… he did on Monday night. He unfortunately isn’t willing to do it all game if that’s what he’s given. At some point you can sense and feel he’s frustrated with just chipping away at teams. He wants that grand slam home run or liver shot to the opposing team… 

For all his talk of accountability or things being “on him” it is perplexing that these same problems crop up again and again. That being a consistency, as in many posts from myself and others, comes down to a coaching issue. 

My Grow up agreement would be, he can't sit there and get bored. The greats will chip away all day long.  He has to start doing that because nearly every time he goes sugar rush josh it bites us in the butt

Edited by SoonerBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.