Rewatching the Game.....Enough Blame to Go Around, BUT....

sven233

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

We received and should have never put our ST in that position 

Should have kicked off in OT

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Op

1. White - completely agree. Jury is still out if he can be an elite corner but he was fine in coverage yesterday. 

2. Bernard - completely disagree. He was absolutely awful

3. Dorsey - none of us know. We don't know the play call, we don't know the reads, and we don't know what Allen is supposed to do with the ball. 

4. Allen - he sucked. All three INTs were indefensible.  No elite QB makes those throws. He missed Cook on a sure TD with a poorly thrown ball. Missed Knox low in OT. He is 90% of the reason they lost. I said it last year and people flamed me but he is careless and reckless with the ball and it is getting worse not better. Is that Allen or is that coaching, again none of us know. But he has to play much better if they have any hope. I think he will. I think he will dominate the next 7 weeks and he will be the talk of the league again - in a good way.

Agee in general, but Knox has to make that catch in OT.  Not a great throw, but a catch an average NFL TE should make.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Old Coot said:

I think you are onto something here. During camp Allen made a statement about how he needs to work on his eyes being in the right place.

Any thoughts on why Allen would not go through his reads? Not enough time? Misreading the D? Looking for the homerun ball? Other?

I think it is probably a combination of things, but if I had to guess, I think it is mostly due to the fact that Allen is just an aggressive QB by nature.  Why take 4 or 5 plays to get 30 yards when you can do it in 1?  He has the arm to make every throw on the field and that is why he constantly waiting until the last second to throw the ball because he is hoping someone opens up down the field.  When they don't. he's stuck and gets himself into trouble. 

Sometimes those first or second reads are timing throws on crossers or hitches.  If Allen gets impatient and wants something bigger, by the time he waits out the longer routes, the shorter ones are taken away.  It's tough for him to find balance, but when he's at his best, that's what he does.  Allen has to realize that the big play will open up when he punishes teams underneath.  Right now, teams know he is not patient enough to take the easy 7-10 yards all the way down the field on a regular basis.  They will continue to play a soft 2 high shell knowing that Allen will get bored and force one down the field that they will have a chance at.  At this point, the only solution I see is for the coaching staff to get in Allen's face and force him to take every underneath throw he sees and forget anything down the field until he forces teams to respect the fact that he will take the free cheese as long as they give it to him.  He does that for a while, and the big play will open back up.

Over the offseason I made it a priority to go back and watch the first half of last season when he was playing like the best player on the planet.  It was astonishing how different those games looked than what we are seeing now.  In the first half of last season, Allen was constantly taking the correct checkdowns and moved the ball down the field almost every drive.  Then, when teams started to creep up, he'd hit them over the top.  The offense was beautiful to watch for the most part.  But, somewhere along the way, he started to press the ball down the field more and more and ignoring the underneath stuff that was open.  Unfortunately, that has carried into this year.  I mean, early in the game, the short game was clicking and we were moving the ball.  Then, by the time the 2nd half rolled around, he was always looking downfield first and it just stalled the offense.  It's on Josh to figure out that if he wants the big plays to happen, he has to start small underneath and force teams out of that 2 high coverage first.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Idk maybe Dab’s simplified things for JA.  Who the hell knows but he’s sure as shite struggling with it now 

Daboll is a terrible coach he just lost 40-0 at home with a qb making more money than Allen. Allen’s problem is he thinks he needs to play hero ball all the freaking time 

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Daboll is a terrible coach he just lost 40-0 at home with a qb making more money than Allen. Allen’s problem is he thinks he needs to play hero ball all the freaking time 

Hum? And yet he’s regressing into a turnover machine & it just so happens to coincide with Dab’s departure.  

Not saying he was a great OC but it’s looking like he understood JA and his neg tendencies.

Edited by PayDaBill$

I have to apologize to Gabe Davis. I said he ran a lazy route on the 3rd INT but watching back the Bills ran the exact same play but with Knox in the Davis role. Allen again doesn’t take the quick throw to Kincaid. Takes a sack. But Knox runs the route the exact same way as Davis. So this is designed.

They ran this a lot vs the Jets. Kincaid ran the high another time, same as Davis. Knox was low. Allen hit Knox.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

14 hours ago, Chaos said:

3 turnovers 4 turnovers 10 turnovers. None of those stats requires a forfeit.  Game went to overtime.  Special teams choked.  Not the first time we have seen this.  

Allen sucked. Get over it. This denial is crazy. 
Time to move on. 

19 hours ago, Success said:

It's funny - but w/ the way that game was being played, I was secretly hoping we wouldn't win the coin toss.

Conventional wisdom is that we had some momentum, so of course it made sense for us to get the ball first in OT.  But I loved the way our D was playing much more than the O.  It just felt like some weird play was going to win it, as opposed to a long, normal drive for a score.

One thing bothering me is that a lot of people have said "you're never gonna win with 4 turnovers", but at that point, heading in to OT, it was a brand new game, and the Bills got the ball first, so the earlier 4 turnovers meant nothing....they just had to put a drive together and score, but of course it was 3 and out. I'm old enough to remember a couple years ago, where every Bills fan was crying "we lost the OT toss...it's not fair, we never had a chance!" LOL

Obviously, the offense lost this game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.