Will the opener be blacked out by Spectrum and espy

Liberal Bob

1 hour ago, Back2Buff said:

This is really incorrect.  Switch from Spectrum to Verizon 5g.  Speed is 3x as fast and way more reliable.  Added it to my already nice verizon cell phone package 45 dollars a month.  Was paying double for Spectrum at 1/3 the speed.

Verizon and T-mobile and are expanding 5g at crazy speed.  Charter is considered the malls of shopping.

Wow, I had no idea it was that fast!

What about using it as a primary method of obtaining broadband for streaming though? If you're out in the country and use it for Netflix, for example, are there data caps to deal with?

I would assume, perhaps wrongly, that the cable company advantage is that nobody worries about how much data is being used vs. using 5G. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

6 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Wait until next week when the Direct TV viewers in the Buffalo viewing area start complaining they can't get Channel 4.  

Lol. It's been mentioned over and Over... go to walmart and get a $30 antenna... problem solved. If anyone in Buffalo can't get channel 4.. or 2 or 7 or any local channels it's on them. Actually, they might be able to screw the DTV cable into their antenna receptor as a free antenna. 

It's just funny that Charter Communications has been voted the worst customer service by any business, in any industry, multiple times in the past. Their stance actually makes sense for once, and hopefully Disney backs down. But the whole situation is just a huge mess.

22 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Wait until next week when the Direct TV viewers in the Buffalo viewing area start complaining they can't get Channel 4.  

That's an easy fix though with an indoor antenna, unlike losing stations one can only get via cable, coax or streaming.

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

Wow, I had no idea it was that fast!

What about using it as a primary method of obtaining broadband for streaming though? If you're out in the country and use it for Netflix, for example, are there data caps to deal with?

I would assume, perhaps wrongly, that the cable company advantage is that nobody worries about how much data is being used vs. using 5G. 

No data caps, since you cant take it anywhere.  It stays within your home.  I currently get 300 mbps consistently.  They said as they keep upgrading and expanding, it should get up to 1,000 mpbs.  Yesterday was streaming 3 tvs and two ipads, no issues.  One tv even in 4k.

It's called Verizon 5g home internet.  Highly recommend.  

4 minutes ago, Back2Buff said:

No data caps, since you cant take it anywhere.  It stays within your home.  I currently get 300 mbps consistently.  They said as they keep upgrading and expanding, it should get up to 1,000 mpbs.  Yesterday was streaming 3 tvs and two ipads, no issues.  One tv even in 4k.

It's called Verizon 5g home internet.  Highly recommend.  

That sounds cool, and probably also a great choice for people in more rural areas who can't get cable for internet. 

A bunch of years ago when we were buying a house there were several places where it was slow as molasses satellite internet or nothing... glad times have changed!

11 hours ago, jkeerie said:

That's an easy fix though with an indoor antenna, unlike losing stations one can only get via cable, coax or streaming.

I have a friend with Direct TV who told me an antenna is too expensive.  I think the real reason is he doesn't want to try to program a digital TV (Yes, I gave him directions: change input to whatever the one is called for your TV, attach antenna, hit menu, program, and when you want to watch cable change the input back to cable -the input you had on before you changed it)

• Haha (+1) 1

I had signed up for the free 12 months of Peacock through Spectrum when it was first offered.  After the 12 months, I unsubscribed.  I saw that Penn State was playing on Peacock today, so I decided to see if I could sign up again through Spectrum since the promo is still being offered and my first subscription was over a year ago.  Bingo!  It worked!  So it's small consolation considering all the Disney crappola, but it's something!

So for those of you who are sticking with Spectrum and would like to stream Peacock, give this a try!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Spectrum blowing up my phone with free trial of Fubo to watch Disney content 

Mine too….and I took it just for a safeguard this week. I know ABC is Disney owned and I currently get that but I wouldn’t put it past Disney to pull that as well on Monday. Seems like bad blood in this one.

Just have to cancel next Saturday morning.

Edited by Beast

15 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I have a friend with Direct TV who told me an antenna is too expensive.  I think the real reason is he doesn't want to try to program a digital TV (Yes, I gave him directions: change input to whatever the one is called for your TV, attach antenna, hit menu, program, and when you want to watch cable change the input back to cable -the input you had on before you changed it)

I've thought for a second about telling my (89 yr old, technology challenged) dad to grab one, but the idea of trying to explain to him over the phone how to hook it up is enough to dissuade me.  It's what nightmares are made of :)

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Mine too….and I took it just for a safeguard this week. I know ABC is Disney owned and I currently get that but I wouldn’t put it past Disney to pull that as well on Monday. Seems like bad blood in this one.

Just have to cancel next Saturday morning.

Disney only owns (through ABC) 8 local ABC affiliates, so unless your local is one of them, ABC programming should be available.  They can't pull program from one of their affiliates or stop cable providers from carrying them as far as I know.

• Like (+1) 2

I’m DONE with Spectrum. Unfortunately I can’t get away from the internet service but as of Monday I’m done with them as far as cable and the landline go, both are going. Final straw.  Cable companies are a F’ING joke. Dinosaur's. 

Next stop YT TV & renewing Sunday Tix.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, stevewin said:

I've thought for a second about telling my (89 yr old, technology challenged) dad to grab one, but the idea of trying to explain to him over the phone how to hook it up is enough to dissuade me.  It's what nightmares are made of :)

I don't get all the fuss about hooking it up. You plug the antenna cord into the tv and that's it. I have a Roku tv but aren't they all the same? Then you just chose "antenna tv" or "live tv" with the remote. There is no switching anything out.

58 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Disney only owns (through ABC) 8 local ABC affiliates, so unless your local is one of them, ABC programming should be available.  They can't pull program from one of their affiliates or stop cable providers from carrying them as far as I know.

Good to know. I just assumed they could but obviously they can’t. 

14 minutes ago, T&C said:

I don't get all the fuss about hooking it up. You plug the antenna cord into the tv and that's it. I have a Roku tv but aren't they all the same? Then you just chose "antenna tv" or "live tv" with the remote. There is no switching anything out.

You do have to program in the digital stations.  I've found in the past that I had to move the antenna around to catch certain stations, since some stations come from different directions. .  

3 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I had signed up for the free 12 months of Peacock through Spectrum when it was first offered.  After the 12 months, I unsubscribed.  I saw that Penn State was playing on Peacock today, so I decided to see if I could sign up again through Spectrum since the promo is still being offered and my first subscription was over a year ago.  Bingo!  It worked!  So it's small consolation considering all the Disney crappola, but it's something!

So for those of you who are sticking with Spectrum and would like to stream Peacock, give this a try!

Hey, thanks for the tip! I just grabbed peacock premium free for a year through spectrum. 😁

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, T&C said:

I don't get all the fuss about hooking it up. You plug the antenna cord into the tv and that's it. I have a Roku tv but aren't they all the same? Then you just chose "antenna tv" or "live tv" with the remote. There is no switching anything 

After 45 minutes on the phone with my Dad you would understand 😛

10 minutes ago, stevewin said:

After 45 minutes on the phone with my Dad you would understand 😛

Haha... I completely understand, my Dad is 88 and won't use his smartphone for anything but phone and even that is kind of iffy. No texting or anything, says it's too much of a bother.

27 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

You do have to program in the digital stations.  I've found in the past that I had to move the antenna around to catch certain stations, since some stations come from different directions. .  

Hmm, I thought all you have to do is hit "channels I get", let it run through that, and you're done. That's how it worked here, only had to do it once. We don't have to move the antenna around but do live pretty close to Tampa... probably so if a bit more rural.

1 hour ago, PayDaBill$ said:

I’m DONE with Spectrum. Unfortunately I can’t get away from the internet service but as of Monday I’m done with them as far as cable and the landline go, both are going. Final straw.  Cable companies are a F’ING joke. Dinosaur's. 

Next stop YT TV & renewing Sunday Tix.

Blame Disney--they are squeezing Charter for higher carriage fees for second tier Disney programming (their primo stuff is reserved for Disney streamers).  Charter wants all Disney streaming content available Spectrum subscribers thrown in with any increased carriage fee. Until then, Spectrum is blocking them.  This is what Spectrum wants for the tentatively agreed upon 2.2 billion increase in carriage fees.  Disney is saying no way--they just want the 2.2 billion extra for nothing extra.  Silly offer, really.

Charter says it wants to reinvent the cable industry to include streaming channels in their bundles.  If it doesn't get what it wants, it has indicated it would walk away from the cable business.  Disney stands to lose 1-2.3 billion this year, maybe half recoverable if people switch to other cable, DISH or streaming formats that include Disney content.

4 minutes ago, T&C said:

Haha... I completely understand, my Dad is 88 and won't use his smartphone for anything but phone and even that is kind of iffy. No texting or anything, says it's too much of a bother.

Hmm, I thought all you have to do is hit "channels I get", let it run through that, and you're done. That's how it worked here, only had to do it once. We don't have to move the antenna around but do live pretty close to Tampa... probably so if a bit more rural.

Tampa ABC affiliate should have tomorrow night's game.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Blame Disney--they are squeezing Charter for higher carriage fees for second tier Disney programming (their primo stuff is reserved for Disney streamers).  Charter wants all Disney streaming content available Spectrum subscribers thrown in with any increased carriage fee. Until then, Spectrum is blocking them.  This is what Spectrum wants for the tentatively agreed upon 2.2 billion increase in carriage fees.  Disney is saying no way--they just want the 2.2 billion extra for nothing extra.  Silly offer, really.

Charter says it wants to reinvent the cable industry to include streaming channels in their bundles.  If it doesn't get what it wants, it has indicated it would walk away from the cable business.  Disney stands to lose 1-2.3 billion this year, maybe half recoverable if people switch to other cable, DISH or streaming formats that include Disney content.

Tampa ABC affiliate should have tomorrow night's game.

Do you work  for a cable co? It’s cable company babble.

What a load of bullshite, it’s just another squeeze by an overpriced business model on deaths door.

You’re a fool if you keep paying these ridiculous prices (especially with garbage service). 

Spectrum couldn’t give a rats-a$$. Try and contact them, phone they disconnect you - too busy, chat terminates your conversation.  Lmfao!

Online Spectrum is steering you to YT FUBO etc…. They know cable is on life support.  This is the final nail!

Edited by PayDaBill$

13 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Work for a cable co? Sounds like cable company babble.

What a load of bullshite, just another squeeze by an overpriced business model on deaths door.

You’re a fool if you keep paying these ridiculous prices with garbage service. 

Spectrum couldn’t give a rats-a$$. Try and contact them, phone disconnects you, chat terminates your conversation.  Lmfao!

Spectrum is steering you to YT FUBO etc…. They know cable is on life support.

are you for real?

Anyway, what I posted is what is happening.  look it up.

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

are you for real?

Anyway, what I posted is what is happening.  look it up.

Lamo, because if it’s on the web it’s gotta be true. Dear Lord.

Who’s for real? Gmafb!

Contact them see how far you get. ; o )

Edited by PayDaBill$

10 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Work for a cable co? Sounds like cable company babble.

Bullshite, just another squeeze by an overpriced business model on deaths door.

You’re a fool if you keep paying these ridiculous prices with garbage service. 

Spectrum couldn’t give a rats-a$$. Try and contact them, phone disconnects you, chat won’t terminated your conversation.  Lmfao!

Spectrum is steering you to YT FUBO etc…. They know cable is on life support.

Actually Charter is pretty smart.  Years ago they developed the Spectrum TV app which streams everything you can get through their cable app.  They are aware that cable is not sustainable and is dying out.  So you get your Spectrum TV minus the costs of their equipment.  Direct TV did the same thing.  They now have Direct TV Stream...Direct TV minus the satellite.  It all depends on what programming you want to watch and what channels you can live without.  You can get your premium movie channels on stand alone apps.  Minus those you have to weigh what sports and entertainment channels are must haves and that determines which service you subscribe to.  Only Spectrum and DTV offer everything...and you can stream them both.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

lamo....

Great come back.

20 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

Actually Charter is pretty smart.  Years ago they developed the Spectrum TV app which streams everything you can get through their cable app.  They are aware that cable is not sustainable and is dying out.  So you get your Spectrum TV minus the costs of their equipment.  Direct TV did the same thing.  They now have Direct TV Stream...Direct TV minus the satellite.  It all depends on what programming you want to watch and what channels you can live without.  You can get your premium movie channels on stand alone apps.  Minus those you have to weigh what sports and entertainment channels are must haves and that determines which service you subscribe to.  Only Spectrum and DTV offer everything...and you can stream them both.

Works great they lost approx a 1/2 million subscribers in the 1st half of 2023 & almost 3/4 of a million in ‘22.

US cable subscribers are at a 30 year low.

Wonderful business model.  You guys kill me.

Edited by PayDaBill$

Just now, PayDaBill$ said:

Great come back.

what were you expecting after that barely readable post (and that was after you edited it)?

did you expect me to agree that everything published on the internet about the current dispute between Charter and Disney is a lie because Spectrum disconnected you in a phone chat?

no, I can't see myself doing that.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

what were you expecting after that barely readable post (and that was after you edited it)?

did you expect me to agree that everything published on the internet about the current dispute between Charter and Disney is a lie because Spectrum disconnected you in a phone chat?

no, I can't see myself doing that.

You got my point.

Like I said you have to be a cable co employee. 

See above it’s a business on deaths door.  

Edited by PayDaBill$

8 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Great come back.

Works great they lost approx a 1/2 million subscribers in the 1st half of 2023 & almost 3/4 of a million in ‘22. US cable subscribers are at a 30 year low.

That's why they are getting away from the cable model.   They were ready to drop it in 2019.  They want to concentrate on internet services but can also get a bit of the TV streaming pie.

BTW...if you're this big of a sweetheart on the phone, I can understand why they hang up on you.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

That's why they are getting away from the cable model.   They were ready to drop it in 2019.  They want to concentrate on internet services but can also get a bit of the TV streaming pie.

BTW...if you're this big of a sweetheart on the phone, I can understand why they hang up on you.

Right. Cable is dead.

Hang up? That’s priceless. Ba ha ha . Like you can even get to an actual human being. They’re dodging calls/chats avoiding all contact & trying to put off even  more cancellations.

Stop defending the indefensible.

Edited by PayDaBill$

27 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Great come back.

Works great they lost approx a 1/2 million subscribers in the 1st half of 2023 & almost 3/4 of a million in ‘22.

US cable subscribers are at a 30 year low.

between the last Q of 2022 and the 1st Q of 2023, Disney+ lost 6.5 million subscribers.

they are the ones struggling here.  

but keep going, you're doing great.  tell us more about your phone chats with Spectrum...

17 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Right. Cable is dead.

Hang up? That’s priceless. Ba ha ha . Like you can even get to an actual human being. They’re dodging calls/chats avoiding all contact & trying to put off even  more cancellations.

Stop defending the indefensible.

I had no trouble getting through to them.

16 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I had no trouble getting through to them.

Yeah ok.

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

between the last Q of 2022 and the 1st Q of 2023, Disney+ lost 6.5 million subscribers.

they are the ones struggling here.  

but keep going, you're doing great.  tell us more about your phone chats with Spectrum...

In ‘22 streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime took the largest share of the television viewing audience, surpassing both cable and broadcast TV. Streaming captured 34.8 percent of July ( 2022)  viewers,  compared to 34.4 percent for cable and 21.6 percent for broadcast. 

In the second half of 2022, cord-cutters became the majority. The share of cable and satellite television subscribers dipped to 48 percent.

In other words, more people now stream mostly through internet TV services, according to streaming vs cable statistics. 

Numbers will continue to spiral.

It’s over, cable is done.

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 hour ago, T&C said:

Basically, although it varies by TV what the message to program it is.  Around here, every now & then a station will change its signal and announce that you have to reprogram it.  The stations are scattered in different towns/cities so they come from different directions.  I really have to play around to get all the stations I want & then have to move the antenna to different spots depending on the station.  Fortunately, all the stations are working on Verizon Fios after they settled with Nexstar earlier this year, so I haven't had to switch to over the air for a while now.  .  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.