Republican debate GDT

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Every candidate is forced to lie and say “the voters are smart”

… No, no they are not. 

That said, I have signs for local candidates next to my driveway.  Not sure why they gave them to me but they did.

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Mike pence is Sam the Eagle from the muppet show 

at least a fly didn't land on his head.  I don't agree w much he believes but he is an American hero for J6

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

**DRUDGE POLL* WHO WON FIRST REPUBLICAN DEBATE '24?

RAMASWAMY  31.13%  (13,973 votes)  

CHRISTIE  20.82%  (9,347 votes)  

HALEY  18.79%  (8,434 votes)  

DESANTIS  17.36%  (7,792 votes)  

PENCE  3.93%  (1,764 votes)  

BURGUM  3.26%  (1,464 votes)  

SCOTT  3.18%  (1,427 votes)  

HUTCHINSON  1.52%  (684 votes)  

meanwhile in an alternate reality universe

https://apnews.com/article/trump-skips-gop-presidential-debate-ae9bcfd8c3d492277cc3e7f77df9466d

There was love in that crowd. There was love and unity,” Trump said of the supporters he addressed on the morning of Jan. 6, before they marched to the Capitol. 

“I have never seen such spirit and such passion and such love. And I’ve also never seen, simultaneously, and from the same people, such hatred of what they’ve done to our country.”

• Eyeroll 1

25 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

That said, I have signs for local candidates next to my driveway.  Not sure why they gave them to me but they did.

at least a fly didn't land on his head.  I don't agree w much he believes but he is an American hero for J6

😂 

American hero! For not doing the thing he couldn’t have legally done anyway! 

hero

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

😂

hero

for standing up to a corrupt bully and his murderous henchmen.  legal is relative and subjective among MAGAs

• Eyeroll 1

Just saw some highlights...

DeSantis is so awkward. There is absolutely nothing socially about him that comes off as natural and authentic, and in the Trump Era and probably moving forward from now you are in complete denial if you think this doesn't matter. 

What Christie (even though he very obviously has no shot) and Vivek did and to a lesser extent what Haley did is what people want to see in these debates and in politics now. They basically leaned into it and they're going to be the ones who will have the most clips passed around tomorrow on political shows.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

**DRUDGE POLL* WHO WON FIRST REPUBLICAN DEBATE '24?

RAMASWAMY  31.13%  (13,973 votes)  

CHRISTIE  20.82%  (9,347 votes)  

HALEY  18.79%  (8,434 votes)  

DESANTIS  17.36%  (7,792 votes)  

PENCE  3.93%  (1,764 votes)  

BURGUM  3.26%  (1,464 votes)  

SCOTT  3.18%  (1,427 votes)  

HUTCHINSON  1.52%  (684 votes)  

Ramaswamy was the only one who played directly to Trump's base so that's not too surprising.  I thought DeSantis was too timid.  Christie is just annoying and is running to get a job on a cable network.  I thought Haley was the most impressive but it doesn't matter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Roundybout said:

Can someone please slap Vivek with a tire iron? 

He's that annoying kid from elementary school who told the teacher she forgot to collect the homework

I’m kind of speed watching it on delay. Main impressions:

- Vivek is a major a-hole. Doesn’t come off as smart, but as a smartass.
- Pence is more forceful, better prepared than I recall. He went in big on the Christian thing. It’s Iowa, it’s his only hope. 
- Scott is the anti-Vivek. Good manners, nice guy. Which means that as a Republican he will be out of the race after NH. 

- Haley is fine. Too reasonable for the current Republican mindset. VP. By the way, in case anyone missed it Michael Wolff, author of 2 Trump books who had remarkable access, strongly hints that she had a little thing with Trump. Eeew. 
- Christie is running because he hates Trump and wants to remain a favorite of the pundit class. 
- Burgum: far too normal for todays Republican Party. Mitt without the Mormonism

- DeSantis: he is, indeed, awkward. Attack dog doesn’t suit him. Toast. 

• Like (+1) 1

I watched the debate , Vivek  is a nutcase,  should never have a government job of any kind. 

Haley  and Pence  sounded ok , I still like Christie who has no chance.

DeSantis is too extreme and unlikeable to me 

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought that DeSantis hit his ceiling in the middle but he’s very hard to take seriously. His style doesn’t play well on the national stage.

In a sane party, Haley really helped herself last night, but you know…..

She really clobbered that carnival barker guy.

• Agree 1

Vivek was clearly the most polarizing person on stage last night. 

Just watched a Fox & Friends panel where every single person loved him. 

Flipped to Twitter and anyone non-MAGA thought he was annoying and fake. 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

😂

hero

Or.....or he could have announced he wasn't going to do it at 9 or 10 am instead of waiting until 1 pm.

Amazing how those insurrectionists had that gallows ready at a moments notice for him too.

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Caste system culture? In Cincinnati ? 

xRamaswamy was born on August 9, 1985, in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Hindu Tamil Brahmin immigrant parents.[3][7][8][9][10] He was raised in Ohio.[5] His family is from Kerala.[3][11][12] His father, V. Ganapathy Ramaswamy, a graduate of the National Institute of Technology Calicut, worked as an engineer and patent attorney for General Electric, while his mother, Geetha Ramaswamy, a graduate of the Mysore Medical College & Research Institute, worked as a geriatric psychiatrist.[3][13] His parents immigrated from Palakkad district in Kerala,[14][15] where the family had an ancestral home in a traditional agraharam in the town of Vadakkencher

• Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

xRamaswamy was born on August 9, 1985, in Cincinnati, Ohio, to Hindu Tamil Brahmin immigrant parents.[3][7][8][9][10] He was raised in Ohio.[5] His family is from Kerala.[3][11][12] His father, V. Ganapathy Ramaswamy, a graduate of the National Institute of Technology Calicut, worked as an engineer and patent attorney for General Electric, while his mother, Geetha Ramaswamy, a graduate of the Mysore Medical College & Research Institute, worked as a geriatric psychiatrist.[3][13] His parents immigrated from Palakkad district in Kerala,[14][15] where the family had an ancestral home in a traditional agraharam in the town of Vadakkencher

oh I see your a xenophobe. Knew it

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

he's brahmin.  by definition he's elite.  

Yes.

But that doesn't mean he has to be a smarmy pandering ass. Twice he mentioned "God." Ending with his #1 talking point: "God is real."

The other candidates didn't want to go there, but again the obvious question is "what God or gods are you even talking about?" Clearly not the God of Abraham, of the Jews, of the Christians, of the Muslims. 

So I call him out not for being a non-Christian, not for being a Brahmin, but for being a shameless bs artist.

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes.

But that doesn't mean he has to be a smarmy pandering ass. Twice he mentioned "God." Ending with his #1 talking point: "God is real."

The other candidates didn't want to go there, but again the obvious question is "what God or gods are you even talking about?" Clearly not the God of Abraham, of the Jews, of the Christians, of the Muslims. 

So I call him out not for being a non-Christian, not for being a Brahmin, but for being a shameless bs artist.

Morning Frank

Just jumping in here but why does it matter what God he worships? I’m a Christian and I’m don’t take issue with him for his heritage and faith. 

And for what it’s worth, I thought the debate was a train wreck. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes.

All of this is true.  My point is that the anti elite cons seem to ignore this fact.  And they want their voices heard.  Brahmins don't listen to Indian leather workers.  He's one generation away from the caste system.  Old habits die hard.  But he is like fingernails on a blackboard.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

why does it matter what God he worships?

In case people don't understand: I don't think it matters. It has often been said that the only real religious bias left in American politics is against atheists. I would vote for an atheist or a Hindu or a Muslim or a Buddhist or a Christian, as long as they are competent, reasonably decent people.

But this guy has a weird talking point meant to appeal to the Republican religious right: "God is real." That doesn't even make sense coming from a practicing Hindu, at least without any explanation. It is certainly not the capital G God of the Republican religious right. All these righteous Republicans love talking about our Judeo-Christian values - values they say informed our constitution and form of government. Those are not the values of Vivek's religion or upbringing. Does he share them as a matter of philosophy but not belief? None of it makes sense logically.

It is pandering. It is bs.

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

And for what it’s worth, I thought the debate was a train wreck

On that we agree.

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In case people don't understand: I don't think it matters. It has often been said that the only real religious bias left in American politics is against atheists. I would vote for an atheist or a Hindu or a Muslim or a Buddhist or a Christian, as long as they are competent, reasonably decent people.

But this guy has a weird talking point meant to appeal to the Republican religious right: "God is real." That doesn't even make sense coming from a practicing Hindu, at least without any explanation. It is certainly not the God of the Republican religious right. All these righteous Republicans love talking about our Judeo-Christian values - values they say informed our constitution and form of government. Those are not the values of Vivek's religion or upbringing. Does he share them as a matter of philosophy but not belief? None of it makes sense logically.

MAGA- the strange paradox.  Or more likely, most of them are just stupid.  btw, as he rises in the polls, there will be much closer scrutiny of his past.  We'll see what shakes out.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

But this guy has a weird talking point meant to appeal to the Republican religious right: "God is real." That doesn't even make sense coming from a practicing Hindu, at least without any explanation. It is certainly not the God of the Republican religious right. All these righteous Republicans love talking about our Judeo-Christian values - values they say informed our constitution and form of government. Those are not the values of Vivek's religion or upbringing. Does he share them as a matter of philosophy but not belief? None of it makes sense logically.

Well reasoned Frank but I’m going to disagree. Hinduism may not be Christianity but I don’t think most Christians have the slightest problem with it. I think most people (both religious and atheist) would describe it as a peace loving, non-aggressive faith with a great reverence for life. You see it differently? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

MAGA- the strange paradox.  Or more likely, most of them are just stupid.

So the real question for Vivek is: why on earth would we vote for you instead of Trump? I heard nothing to separate him from Trump other than "I'm younger."

As the surprising rising star of the Republican Party, he's about to get a lot of light shined on his past.

His history as an investor is fair game. And yes, he did support Martin Shkreli, the pharma bro. Take a close look at what that guy did, exploiting loopholes in the regulatory system and jacking up drug prices for ordinary people. Some illegal things, some legal but not exactly honorable things.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson forever said:

MAGA- the strange paradox.  Or more likely, most of them are just stupid.  btw, as he rises in the polls, there will be much closer scrutiny of his past.  We'll see what shakes out.

The last part is true. The MAGA comment is just more pompous hate speech from good ‘ol Fergie….formerly Hawk

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Well reasoned Frank but I’m going to disagree. Hinduism may not be Christianity but I don’t think most Christians have the slightest problem with it. I think most people (both religious and atheist) would describe it as a peace loving, non-aggressive faith with a great reverence for life. You see it differently? 

I think as properly conceived today that's correct.

It's certainly not correct with respect to Hindu nationalists like Modi.

And Vivek's second talking point: "there are two genders," is weirdly defensive given all the gender switching gods of Hindu mythology. Again: not fair game if he comes out and says "I was raised a Hindu, and raised with a moral code that respects life, family, and an ethical way of living."

But that's not what he's saying. There's a word for what he's doing: lying.

EDIT: https://www.amazon.com/Hindus-Alternative-History-Wendy-Doniger/dp/014311669X

Recommended. Really good huge book (I admit I didn't finish it). It's really impossible to reconcile this with the capital G "God is real."

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Chris farley said:

like clockwork the farm is attacking the one that seemed to do the best in that trainwreck.

like the old "Obama is a Muslim" tripe from a decade ago.

but from the left this time.

That’s because people are the same on the same on both sides of the aisle. They simply want their side to win. I’m not so sure they even know WHY they want their to win anymore but by golly they know they want it! 😂

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

like clockwork the farm is attacking the one that seemed to do the best in that trainwreck.

like the old "Obama is a Muslim" tripe from a decade ago.

but from the left this time.

But Obama wasn't a Muslim. He was a Christian. 

Nikki Haley was raised a Sikh. She is a Christian.

They have apparently accepted Jesus Christ as their lord and savior, which is something the religious right thinks is important in our leadership. That's why Vivek is compelled to say "God is real."

But he is not a Christian.

Different.

I think as properly conceived today that's correct.

It's certainly not correct with respect to Hindu nationalists like Modi.

And Vivek's second talking point: "there are two genders," is weirdly defensive given all the gender switching gods of Hindu mythology. Again: not fair game if he comes out and says "I was raised a Hindu, and raised with a moral code that respects life, family, and an ethical way of living."

But that's not what he's saying. There's a word for what he's doing: lying.

You may be right. I don’t know enough about him. But you seem to assign a sinister motive to all of it. What’s the motive? 

• Agree 1

But Obama wasn't a Muslim. He was a Christian. 

Nikki Haley was raised a Sikh. She is a Christian.

They have apparently accepted Jesus Christ as their lord and savior, which is something the religious right thinks is important in our leadership. That's why Vivek is compelled to say "God is real."

But he is not a Christian.

Different.

the fact the left is attacking him for his religion is on par with the right calling Obama a Muslim thinking that's a bad thing

and they are politicians. all politicians lie.