Hangover?

Brian Higgins hair

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

I've said all along, that it's perfectly fine to appreciate what this regime has done in turning things around but at the same time accepting and understanding they aren't good enough to take this team any further then the current divisional round ceiling the last few years.

But your point is just that....the reason is that McD is even in this position to begin with is because he has a franchise QB who many believe is top 5 in the league. Which is why I believe Doug Marrone, Rex Ryan, etc would all have posted similar results here considering they both also reached AFFCG's with other teams (who didn't have QB's anywhere close to the caliber of JA17). And no still don't care about 2017 because that was 1) pure luck/parity and 2) a roster that was mostly made of previous regimes players.

So at least for me I'm beyond the point of just considering it and believe that should this team miss the playoffs altogether (still more likely that some want to admit), or have enough enough early exit should they get there then it's time to say thanks to the current regime and then graciously move on.

You’re absolutely right bro. A QB can carry and elevate a team. It’s no surprise that some coaches piggy back, stick around or find success because of the position. Roster talent was always an issue for a long period here. Think the nail is hit on the head when referencing what previous failed coaches could have done with these rosters and Josh… at the very least playoffs and crash. 

23 minutes ago, boyst said:

Don't worry. And someone please bookmark this.

At the end of the year someone will say 13-4 is good enough with a playoff win. It's not. McDermott should have been dropped for daboll.

I'm mad that you might be right about this

55 minutes ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

The last game showed a lot of players not engaged at all. So many penalties and so little concentration on the basics.

I think McBeane’s most challenging issue isn’t offensive line or MLB..

It’s waking those guys up from the sleepwalk they showed at the end of last season. 

I think it has more to do with vets main focus being don't get hurt and not going 100%.  We also have a lot of new parts on the offense, some guys coming back from injury on both sides of the ball, a new QB of the D being figured out at MLB, etc.  And with the new pieces and guys coming back from injury, its gonna take some reps for everyone to also gel on the field and get their rhythm too. 

So for me, I am not too worried at this point about the vets turning it on and getting out of the hangover come the regular season.  I do have legit concerns until proven otherwise at MLB and RT, but that has been the case all off season given they are our two biggest question marks after FA and the Draft remaining on the team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I think it has more to do with vets main focus being don't get hurt and not going 100%.  We also have a lot of new parts on the offense, some guys coming back from injury on both sides of the ball, a new QB of the D being figured out at MLB, etc.  And with the new pieces and guys coming back from injury, its gonna take some reps for everyone to also gel on the field and get their rhythm too. 

So for me, I am not too worried at this point about the vets turning it on and getting out of the hangover come the regular season.  I do have legit concerns until proven otherwise at MLB and RT, but that has been the case all off season given they are our two biggest question marks after FA and the Draft remaining on the team.

False starts should not being happening like they did. That is 100% lack of focus and preparation. Its one thing to not play well. But those types of things are a concern. 

• Like (+1) 1

McD has a lot on his plate this season.  It will be challenging for him to call the defense and be the head coach in all other instances.  Mix in a possible degree of lost confidence among players over the way last season and the season before ended and combine it with the potential Diggs volatility, and you may have a tough job ahead for McD this season.

32 minutes ago, BBFL said:

You’re absolutely right bro. A QB can carry and elevate a team. It’s no surprise that some coaches piggy back, stick around or find success because of the position. Roster talent was always an issue for a long period here. Think the nail is hit on the head when referencing what previous failed coaches could have done with these rosters and Josh… at the very least playoffs and crash. 

I know a lot of other reasonable fans share this belief, they just don't want to admit it....at least not yet.

But at some point you show the world exactly who you and not sure what more people need to see to understand that in reference to McD when it comes to 0-4 on the road in the playoffs, 13 seconds, 2020 AFFCG, Bengals game last year, etc.

If just getting to the playoffs is acceptable bar in Buffalo, again there are plenty of other (much better) HC's out there that can also do that for you.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, ngbills said:

False starts should not being happening like they did. That is 100% lack of focus and preparation. Its one thing to not play well. But those types of things are a concern. 

On the other hand, there is no preparation in regards to pre-season games.  So again, I will wait and see how this plays out in the regular season before I start to get concerned.  Not to mention, the OL is the part that takes the most reps to gel, especially when there are new players on the line and guys returning form injury like we have.  So it didn't really surprise me persoanlly a whole lot that the starting unit didn't look sharp on the OL in its first preseason action.  

Now if it persists in the season, then yeah, we got a problem.  But don't be surprised if it takes a few games before the OL finds its groove

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Good enough for what? If you’re winning divisions and a playoff game every year then yes that’s good enough to keep your job. It’s not the goal but you don’t reach your goal by destroying the team when you’re that close.

The question is what’s to come if they can’t shake the dark cloud hanging over the franchise right now. 

They aren’t going 13-4. More likely 10-7. Again, if they do that and win a playoff game or more McDermott isn’t going anywhere.

But it’s possible they do worse than that. 

i don't disagree with this - but this league and all should only be about championships.

31 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

I'm mad that you might be right about this

i said it then, at the time. that the risk was worth the reward. basic principle that we had josh allen and would be able to win plenty of games while we trend toward an offensive league more and more. daboll could count on his vast nfl career to hand the defense over to someone he has experience with, and the upper levels (beane, etc) were solid.

it would have been wildly crazy but would have been worth it. i also wanted to keep whats his name - the jerk coach for one more year where we would have jettisoned him at the end of his contract anyway. he was the coach when we got a new owner.

23 minutes ago, boyst said:

i don't disagree with this - but this league and all should only be about championships.

Mike Tomlin hasn’t won a championship in 14 years. Should the Steelers have fired him?

It’s such a flawed way of thinking. You don’t fire a head coach when he’s winning divisions and at least one playoff game. That’s just crazy expectations. 

Mcdermott would need to miss the playoffs or lose in the wildcard round to even start the discussion. Then he’s likely on the hot seat. So you’re talking at least 2 seasons of missing playoffs or losing in the wild card.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Mike Tomlin hasn’t won a championship in 14 years. Should the Steelers have fired him?

It’s such a flawed way of thinking. You don’t fire a head coach when he’s winning divisions and at least one playoff game. That’s just crazy expectations. 

100% yes

...what have you done for me lately?....

pontificate with a few statements. tomlin hasn't adapted his game, found a replacement to a franchise qb, or shown he can make offense or defense relevant in the last 5-10 years.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, boyst said:

100% yes

...what have you done for me lately?....

pontificate with a few statements. tomlin hasn't adapted his game, found a replacement to a franchise qb, or shown he can make offense or defense relevant in the last 5-10 years.

He’s never had that 3 year slump. The Steelers organization is very patient. Even Cowher had multiple seasons of missing playoffs but they stuff with him.

The Steelers IMO are the ultimate franchise with how they handle coaches.

A lot of folks talking about the penalties, and it's obviously a concern. But this is what the Bills have done in the preseason the last couple of years. Maybe not the 13 level, but there's usually 1 or 2 games that spike. Last year's penalties by game:

11 for 90 yds

8 for 68 yds

3 for 20 yds. 

2021 first game was 9 for 112 yds. The last 2 games dropped significantly. 

It just seems they go through this in preseason and sometimes in to the regular season, then things tend to settle down. I'm hopeful. Or perhaps it's just something I'm using to feel better. 

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

If this carries over into the regular season and the team gets off to a bad start even the most ardent homers will start to turn on this regime especially if the players quit on the coaches and it ends up being a lost season (which sadly my gut feeling tells me is coming anyway).

One more bad game and I'm joining you on the chiefs bandwagon 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

A lot of folks talking about the penalties, and it's obviously a concern. But this is what the Bills have done in the preseason the last couple of years. Maybe not the 13 level, but there's usually 1 or 2 games that spike. Last year's penalties by game:

11 for 90 yds

8 for 68 yds

3 for 20 yds. 

2021 first game was 9 for 112 yds. The last 2 games dropped significantly. 

It just seems they go through this in preseason and sometimes in to the regular season, then things tend to settle down. I'm hopeful. Or perhaps it's just something I'm using to feel better. 

Types of penalties matter. PI, holds, etc are one things. Its the false starts that shows a lack of preparation. I went back and looked at last years penalties and not nearly the level of false starts and especially not by starting units. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brian Higgins hair said:

The last game showed a lot of players not engaged at all. So many penalties and so little concentration on the basics.

I think McBeane’s most challenging issue isn’t offensive line or MLB..

It’s waking those guys up from the sleepwalk they showed at the end of last season. 

It literally felt like a continuation of the Bengals game. So much of this stuff is mental. I wonder if the season ending the way it did, and not living up to what was expected has taken the wind out of their sails? How do you fix this?? This is why I was hoping for a shakeup in the offseason, and maybe on some level we did get that, but not in a good way. 

• Agree 2

The loud music while at camp IMO is a distraction, and I can not understand why it’s even playing, and I don’t get the positive with it, and this is the result. False starts from a lack of good habits, concentration and discipline. 
IMO, this is where the captains of this team have to start leading. Josh…

The holding penalties also seems to be an annual Buffalo tradition. 

3 hours ago, BBFL said:

McD was the only coach to get the Bills to the playoffs without a franchise QB. None of those other failed coaches did.

3 hours ago, Success said:

The hot takes here & nationally if we lose to the Jets are going to be off the charts.

Nationally, the hot take will be more about how awesome the Jets are, rather than how bad the Bills are.

The Jets were already a solid team and now they have Aaron Rodgers.

We should expect the Bills to be favored, but it is nowhere close to a sure thing. It's gonna be a tough game, as always. If they lose, but play well, they're still contenders.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.