Notes from Ravens Practice

JDHillFan

On 8/5/2023 at 6:32 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

I believe their new OC is Todd Monken and he doesn't want his QBs wearing the wristbands because he thinks it ######s their understanding of the offense.

This is a hugely pivotal year for Lamar Jackson.

The Ravens are doing everything they can to get him up to the level of the true superstar QBs.

How did that work out for Winston and Mayfield?

Since 2000, Monken, between college and NFL, has been employed by 10 different teams.  He never lasts long at any given spot.

• Like (+1) 1

Between the addition of Flowers in round one and OBJ in free agency to complement Andrews, former first round pick Rashod Batemon and their other skill position players and they had we are really going to know a lot about Lamar’s ability to pass. 

I do think that Lamar has had a legitimate grievance about the lack of skill position players in recent seasons but they have now added a WR in round one 2 of the past three seasons along with a big veteran addition in OBJ there are no more excuses for the QB to not get it done.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Neither Jackson nor Tua worry me in the slightest

Tua in and of himself doesn't worry me. However, he is in a perfect system to maximize his skills with players around him that help his game. His accuracy is phenomenal between the hashmarks and Miami does a good job using the speed they have horizontally to set up vertical game. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/5/2023 at 6:27 PM, JDHillFan said:

The defense was on fire!

On their sixth straight day of practice, quarterbacks Lamar Jackson, Tyler Huntley and Josh Johnson had to operate in third-and-long situations during seven-on-seven and 11-on-11 play in Owings Mills. The struggle was even worse than what anyone could’ve predicted. Nine interceptions. Six false starts. One fumbled snap.

Jackson threw four interceptions, Johnson threw three, and Huntley, who also dropped a snap from the shotgun, had two. Most of the interceptions looked like they were intended for the defender, too.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-observations-nine-interceptions-training-camp-lamar-jackson-20230805-z6mcn5a5ufhnxlsztvaubltmvq-story.html

Why are we discussing the Ravens ?????

On 8/6/2023 at 7:42 PM, BuffaloBillyG said:

Tua in and of himself doesn't worry me. However, he is in a perfect system to maximize his skills with players around him that help his game. His accuracy is phenomenal between the hashmarks and Miami does a good job using the speed they have horizontally to set up vertical game. 

The flip side of this is his weaknesses are pretty well documented too…he seems to get tunnel vision when you disrupt the timing of the play by collapsing the pocket or having some extra defenders in the middle of the field.  Seemed like the league started to figure out the tua led dolphins before his season ended 

4 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The flip side of this is his weaknesses are pretty well documented too…he seems to get tunnel vision when you disrupt the timing of the play by collapsing the pocket or having some extra defenders in the middle of the field.  Seemed like the league started to figure out the tua led dolphins before his season ended 

Absolutely spot on with his weaknesses. Now we get to see just how much of an "offensive wonderkid" McDaniel really is and see what adjustments he can put in to counter what defenses will do. With Tua due a new contract (or a franchise tag) next season they really don't have a huge amount of time to figure it out.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I have wondered that myself

I think it’s as simple as some people enjoy discussing conference rivals. Crazy, huh? The thread title is quite specific. What I wonder is why someone would click on it and waste their time typing out “why are we talking about this”. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JDHillFan said:

I think it’s as simple as some people enjoy discussing conference rivals. Crazy, huh? The thread title is quite specific. What I wonder is why someone would click on it and waste their time typing out “why are we talking about this”. 

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just unusual to have preseason threads about teams we aren't playing.

3 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

I don’t start many threads. Is there an instruction manual available? 

Stand down, big guy.  No one said you needed an instruction manual, just explained why the thread is drawing the comments it is.

You get to start the thread,  others get to comment.  Because it's unusual, some of the comments will be  'why is this here?' 'why are we discussing this?' etc

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.