Matt Araiza is Suing Woman who Falsely Accused him

wppete

1 hour ago, Doc said:

She ruined another person's life based on lies.  What reason could justify what she did, seeing as they met that night for the first time? 

Reasons why a teenager might feel the need to lie to protect themselves in that situation?

Maybe she had a boyfriend who would get mad she was cheating on him (maybe he was abusive even).

Maybe she was from a super religious family and she would have been basically ostracized if her parents and all the community found out she was doing that stuff.

That's just two off the top of my head. Human brain development and empathy is super interesting and there are a ton of physiological changes happening in the brain at that time.

I am not at all excusing her behavior or saying she shouldn't be punished and face significant consequences...essentially canceling her for life though for a gigantic mistake someone made as a teenager when there could be countless things that she perceived important enough to make and then maintain that lie for so long...just simply no, that's not how things work

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And because stupidly there are no lists that you can put a rookie who hasn't yet played in the league on. So the Bills choices were:

a) put a guy being trialled by social media on their 53 and have it talked about every time they punt; or

b) cut him. 

I understand why they chose b) but I can't for the life of me understand why there wasn't a commissioner list type option where the Bills and the NFL could have said "it isn't good for the brand for him to play through this but it is only allegations, nothing is proven let's put him on the list until it resolves itself". 

it could be years and who declares it resolved? Should the bills hold his rights today and through his civil trial? 

Just now, NoSaint said:

it could be years and who declares it resolved? Should the bills hold his rights today and through his civil trial? 

I meant until the criminal investigation had concluded. While I know he could still be found not guilty in court I think if the DA thinks sufficient evidence to charge then at that point him being cut would have been appropriate. 

4 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

Reasons why a teenager might feel the need to lie to protect themselves in that situation?

Maybe she had a boyfriend who would get mad she was cheating on him (maybe he was abusive even).

Maybe she was from a super religious family and she would have been basically ostracized if her parents and all the community found out she was doing that stuff.

That's just two off the top of my head. Human brain development and empathy is super interesting and there are a ton of physiological changes happening in the brain at that time.

I am not at all excusing her behavior or saying she shouldn't be punished and face significant consequences...essentially canceling her for life though for a gigantic mistake someone made as a teenager when there could be countless things that she perceived important enough to make and then maintain that lie for so long...just simply no, that's not how things work

I understand why she would offer excuses.  What I was saying is that there is no excuse that would justify her ruining another person's life.

And just because she was 17, it's not like she's absolved of all responsibility for her actions.  She should face the consequences of an adult.

1 minute ago, NoSaint said:

It will be solved by the conclusion of the civil trial.  I expect witness and geolocation evidence to prove Araiza wasn't even there when the activities inside the house began.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I meant until the criminal investigation had concluded. While I know he could still be found not guilty in court I think if the DA thinks sufficient evidence to charge then at that point him being cut would have been appropriate. 

there are no charges being filed 

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

I understand why she would offer excuses.  What I was saying is that there is no excuse that would justify her ruining another person's life.

And just because she was 17, it's not like she's absolved of all responsibility for her actions.  She should face the consequences of an adult.

It will be solved by the conclusion of the civil trial.  I expect witness and geolocation evidence to prove Araiza wasn't even there when the activities inside the house began.

so...couple years from now, NFL teams will come calling ?

32 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

She cancelled his career and without reprecussion nothing will stop another mans life from being ruined by lies

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Here is the point I'd like to understand before I morally exonerate Araiza and the others who had sex with the girl... she was 17 at the time of the incident and there's video of the sex acts.

The age of consent in CA is 18. Why isn't this statutory rape?

BTW nice to see all the message board vigilantes out here with their clubs and ropes. So much anger at a "false accuser" as if the men involved are blameless.

Are we talking about the 17 year old who was telling everyone at a college party that she was 18?  

39 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

so she had an excuse MAYBE to lie. That’s just some large horse pucks there.  The fact is she ruined the reputation and possibly career of someone for her own SELFISH reasons and she could have gotten a person sent to jail for a long time for something they didn’t do!  There is no good excuse for what she did, she should have to face serious penalties for the entire length of time he may have had to serve in jail. 

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eme123 said:

I feel bad for the people who at some point were actually raped or sexually assaulted. Rediculous situations like this make it that much harder for real victims to come forward. Thats the real crime here. 

Sure, but the real crime here appears to be a false accusation was filed with the police.  

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

It doesn't.  When's he going to jail, WEO?

never

But how will he possibly get on a roster if, as you have said over and over, no team will touch him until after the conclusion of the civil trial?

50 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

there are no charges being filed 

I know. My point was there should have been a way of him being able to be put on some sort of comissioner list until that was known. Given the situation play him when he might be about to be charged with rape or cut him were too stark of a choice. 

No charges were brought in at which point, in my scenario, the Bills would have then have had to activate him or cut him. In a scenario where charges had been brought he then would have been taken off the list and cut.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

so she had an excuse MAYBE to lie. That’s just some large horse pucks there.  The fact is she ruined the reputation and possibly career of someone for her own SELFISH reasons and she could have gotten a person sent to jail for a long time for something they didn’t do!  There is no good excuse for what she did, she should have to face serious penalties for the entire length of time he may have had to serve in jail. 

As horrible as our justice system is, I don’t think sending people to prison based on hypotheticals would be an improvement. 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

never

But how will he possibly get on a roster if, as you have said over and over, no team will touch him until after the conclusion of the civil trial?

Is this serious? 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.